HOTTOPIC EXCLUSIVE colors-NOFX/BadRelig/DKM/Rancid

travis

anyway, as an independent store owner this shit pisses me off. when is Epitaph going to do an independent store exclusive color? or any color? I stock this shit for years and never get any colors so people shop at some mall punk store instead of a store that actually cares about punk, puts on shows, etc. Hell, I can't even buy Epitaph stuff direct, I have to use a one-stop or their major label owned distributor that won't even give me an account after being around for 4.5 years!

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By whole slew, you mean 4 right? And they were a total pain in the ass to get any quantity of because you had to buy them from one-stops. that was great though and I'm glad they did it, but they didn't do anything the year before for record store day. They don't even send cd play copies to me anymore.

But as you point out, they did participate in RSD last year and it did extremely well and created a lot of buzz for their label and releases throughout lots of small stores and towns, so why not offer things like these color represses to the same stores?

By whole slew, you mean 4 right? And they were a total pain in the ass to get any quantity of because you had to buy them from one-stops. that was great though and I'm glad they did it, but they didn't do anything the year before for record store day. They don't even send cd play copies to me anymore.

But as you point out, they did participate in RSD last year and it did extremely well and created a lot of buzz for their label and releases throughout lots of small stores and towns, so why not offer things like these color represses to the same stores?

I don't know why they don't offer color represses to the same stores; I don't work for Epitaph. Maybe no one's ever asked them? You should tell your one-stop to bring up the idea with them.

And regarding Epitaph not doing anything for Record Store Day in 2008. most labels didn't do shit for RSD08. Last year was the event's first really big year. You're penalizing Epitaph for something that roughly 99.5% of active labels in existence are also guilty of.

I can't believe I'm seeing people defend shopping at hot topic for records.

support your local independent record store, or buy from an independent record store online. Not trying to out-punx anyone, or anything of that matter. If you have any interest in keeping a sustainable scene support people, not corporations.

'I'm a pop sensation" - buy from an independent online store then, or BETTER YET, have the local order stuff that you want! Special orders do so much for small record stores. The biggest thing you'll notice is that they now know there is a demand for stuff you like, and might stock it more often.

I know that a lot of times, when we special order something for someone at the store I work at, we often order a copy to sell in the store because we now know someone is interested!

Seriously, independent stores help out punk rock on a small and large scale, and ignoring them in favor of shopping for a fucking MALL STORE is such a step in the wrong direction!

So whats the deal with these??? Are we going to see them anytime this week? I asked my friend Danielle that works at your corporate headquarters last week about these and she said you guys don't know when they are coming out cause you guys are still working on a deal with Epitaph over them or some shit.

Ive said a few times in this thread that I dont have an exact date on when they will be in stores but that I would update this thread once they are on their way to stores. There's no specific street date on these, so as soon as HT gets them in the distribution centers they will get processed and sent out to stores.

Hoping to have them in the distribution centers sometime this week which would get them in stores most likely sometime next week.

I think I know the Danielle you're talking about but she doesnt work with buying music for stores so Im not sure where she is getting her info from.

as far as Hot Topic being "punk rock"

i've run a label for 15 years now. I've been burnt by countless indie stores who go out of their way not to pay me for product sold, and then closed with no notice and kept my shit i had on consignment. Same thing with supposed "punk distributors". Hot Topic has always been cool with us, ordered records and paid us quickly. They got my releases into areas of the country that probably don't have indie stores, or record stores at all anymore for that matter. And honestly if you're really worried what is or is not "punk" you've probably got your head up your ass anyways.

Yeah little Danielle Fidelity (god I love that girl!) nah she doesnt do the music buying there but she asked somebody that knew about it I guess. Who knows, not a big deal I just want to get these already! Punch Danielle in the cunt for me and say its from Mike!

haha I think that could land me over in HR.

Anyways, yea Im hoping to have them in stores within 2 weeks.

Will update here tho once I get more info.