New Orleans: Greatest City in North America!

drabley

I'm gonna stick with New York City. We actually get all four seasons here, unlike other parts of the country. Diverse culture? You got it. Entertainment, nightlife, you name it, we got it.

I feel like nyc doesn't have near the culture or charm of cities like boston or san francisco, and (i'm assuming from what i've heard), new orleans. because it's so culturally and ethnically diverse, there's no unifying, well, anything. not saying it's a bad thing, i just don't get the same vibe in nyc as i do in the aforementioned cities.

NYC is probably the most culturally and ethnically diverse city on the planet. You have a little bit of everything there. Nawlin's is great.. but its largely the creole culture you're seeing there... its just so much more prominant because its so much of the population.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I DO love me some Montreal. And if it weren't for our neighbors up north, we may not have had our Louisiana up-bringing. Montreal has some of the most beautiful people I have ever seen. Even the bums are good looking. Well maybe that's a stretch.

However, if my entire family had not relocated to Atlanta in the last 3 decades, I'd be living there with ya. I miss our old neighborhood in Mandeville. I also miss the cuisine-you can try, but you can't recreate it anywhere else.

I feel like nyc doesn't have near the culture or charm of cities like boston or san francisco, and (i'm assuming from what i've heard), new orleans. because it's so culturally and ethnically diverse, there's no unifying, well, anything. not saying it's a bad thing, i just don't get the same vibe in nyc as i do in the aforementioned cities.

NYC is probably the most culturally and ethnically diverse city on the planet. You have a little bit of everything there. Nawlin's is great.. but its largely the creole culture you're seeing there... its just so much more prominant because its so much of the population.

that's the thing. don't get me wrong, i like nyc, but it's just a mish mash of everything. i'm just a fan of cities that have that almost unifying style and cultural identity. nyc to me is just a big bustling city full of sky scrapers, but cities like new orleans are a way of life.

You know there is no real, "Greatest (place) in (a large place)", right? It's all about whatever city is best for you. Perhaps you love the creole culture and southern hospitality of New Orleans, perhaps you like the big city atmosphere and diversity of places like San Francisco or New York. It's all what's right for you. I know a ton of people who will go to their grave saying Los Angeles is one of the greatest cities on earth, but I can't really stand it for the most part. They're not wrong they just prefer what that city has to offer.

You know there is no real, "Greatest (place) in (a large place)", right? It's all about whatever city is best for you. Perhaps you love the creole culture and southern hospitality of New Orleans, perhaps you like the big city atmosphere and diversity of places like San Francisco or New York. It's all what's right for you. I know a ton of people who will go to their grave saying Los Angeles is one of the greatest cities on earth, but I can't really stand it for the most part. They're not wrong they just prefer what that city has to offer.

agreed, it's like trying to argue about evolution with a fundamentalist christian, it goes nowhere.

also Chicago > your city. ;)

agreed, it's like trying to argue about evolution with a fundamentalist christian, it goes nowhere.

CHARLES DARWIN WAS A CRAZY FACE.

If I ever visit the company headquarters with the lady I fully expect you to introduce me to Common, Kanye and Scottie Pippin.

where was this thread before the Saints won the Super Bowl

It just wasn't typed yet.

It has nothing to do with the Super Bowl, though the timing of it made sense since the city is on the minds of far more people than previously. I lived here for 3 years prior to Katrina and lost everything I've ever had. My house, my car, damn near my wife. While I was in Tampa for 3 years, I visited NO at least a dozen times. The entire time I was there I wished I was here. When I got divorced, coming back here was the only certainty I had in my life.

I understand and respect that [insert your name] would argue that [insert name of city] is the greatest. And like Dante Richard said -- there is no quantifiable measure of greatness. But for those that think NO is just Creole -- think again. That's what people not from here think. Tell a coonass from Lafouche Parish his culture is Creole and watch how quick you hit the floor.

I grew up in Toronto, which leapfrogs with London for the title of most multi-cultural city in the world (sorry, NYC, you're not as diverse as you think). I could ride the subway to work and hear 40 different languages being spoken at the same time. I've eaten my way around the world without leaving my neighborhood. So I've seen it, heard it, and eaten it, and experienced it as much as possible without actually being where it comes from. I've been involved with more females from other countries than my own or my present one. Take comfort in your ignorance.

New Orleans isn't a world class city so far as appearances go. The infrastructure is as poor as most of the citizens are. It's dirty, crime laden, largely uneducated, and outdated. But that's all part of the charm since it's what lies beneath that is truly golden. There is no judgment here. People are free to act as they wish with little to no interference. The first time I was here, I thought it was disgusting and hated it. But this place, the people, are like a disease -- once it bites you -- I mean really bites you, you're infected for life. I'll never leave here again. I'll die in this swamp, probably happier than you.

New Orleans is a city of excess. The heat, the humidity, the booze, food, crime, music, sex: it's all everywhere in an instant. You can be as involved in it as you care to be, or not at all. Is it for everyone? Absolutely not. But for me, it is.

This wasn't a pissing competition, and I must say that I'm rather disappointed in some of you. I love this place more than anything in my life. I was just saying so; dear livejournal, if you will. If you didn't want to listen -- fine. Don't. But don't argue or disagree with me -- it's not your place. I didn't recite statistics, I spoke opinion.

Fuck your city: this is mine.

Never been to New Orleans. Seems like a fun place though.

Of the cities I have been to, Boston is my favorite.

NYC is overrated.

Likewise. as soon as i stepped foot in boston, i felt like i was at home. I walked around everywhere without fear of anything. Much like Austin.

Nola is pretty awesome though, and i'd always recommend you visit for a week. But not during mardi gras. Too much shit happening to take in...