Trading in 90% of my cd collection

matt

making a trip out to amoeba today before the lawrence arms show to trade in the vast majority of my cds from over the years. i have 3 boxes filled completely. probably around 1000-1200 cds id say. hoping i get something worthwhile so i can buy more records. all this shit has just been taking space for the past few years and im moving soon so no better time to get rid of them.

anyone else do this before and how much credit did you get?

the other thing is im really just looking for credit to the store. i could easily use it on buying new records.

Second Spin will give you credit but they don't have nearly the stock as Amoeba. But I bet you could get more in cash from Second Spin than credit from Amoeba. Just my two cents but I do think for trading going to Second Spin is your best bet.

so i took in about 3 boxes worth of things. still not sure how many i took in altogether. showed up at the trade in counter with all the stuff. dude tells me all right ill page you in the store in about 40 mins. turns out to be over an hour and a half. i come back and he tells me the cds on the left are what we want but the cds on the right arent good enough for us to sell. turns out only buying less than a half box from me.

BUT

i got $185 so i win. spent about $100 in the store on records ive been meaning to pick up.

im going to try my luck with them again or just at some other stores around here.

p-fresh - ill sell you some stuff. is there anything in particular youre looking for? my record list is a pretty good indication of what i have.

haha yep basically... i just remember seeing the hot water jacket and i was in there around that time and the avatar and such just seemed to put 2 and 2 together. if you happened to have seen some fat bearded jewish fellow in a guns up shirt that would have been me.

craigslist missed connections here i come.

so i took in about 3 boxes worth of things. still not sure how many i took in altogether. showed up at the trade in counter with all the stuff. dude tells me all right ill page you in the store in about 40 mins. turns out to be over an hour and a half. i come back and he tells me the cds on the left are what we want but the cds on the right arent good enough for us to sell. turns out only buying less than a half box from me.

BUT

i got $185 so i win. spent about $100 in the store on records ive been meaning to pick up.

im going to try my luck with them again or just at some other stores around here.

p-fresh - ill sell you some stuff. is there anything in particular youre looking for? my record list is a pretty good indication of what i have.

Do you have anything akin to a Half Price Books by you? Like, a store that buys/sells used books, DVDs, CDs, etc -- not just a record store. I find these give better tradeouts, because they don't know what will sell and what won't. I bring in a big paper box full of promo shit every two weeks or so to a local Half Price Books and almost always walk out with $100-150, sometimes more. They take everything.

BUT

Do you have anything akin to a Half Price Books by you? Like, a store that buys/sells used books, DVDs, CDs, etc -- not just a record store. I find these give better tradeouts, because they don't know what will sell and what won't. I bring in a big paper box full of promo shit every two weeks or so to a local Half Price Books and almost always walk out with $100-150, sometimes more. They take everything.

That sounds pretty rad.

BUT

That is pretty cool. I don't know which side of Cleveland you live on, but you can try trading stuff in at "The Exchange" too. They are usually pretty generous with stuff, unless it is like scratched to hell or something.

Never trade all at once, you won't get as much money.

The people will also generally rip you off and take what they want and not give you credit for it. Trade in stores do that generally to junkies and people who trade in a ton of shit at once.

Very true. I work at a used cd/dvd store and if you really want to maximize the value you should bring them in at no more than 100 at a time. And trade value is also a great idea.

I don't know how most other places operate, but we sell our stuff online as well through amazon, so that's what we base our prices off. We try to turn about a 50% to 60% margin on used, with a max of $4 per cd. So basically, you're not really getting the best possible deal if the minimum value of the item exceeds $8.99. If that's the case, selling on amazon, half, ebay is the best way. Sometimes there are items out there that go for insane amounts (i've sold certain titles for well over $100) and if that's the case an employee is likely to snag those before they'd ever hit the shelves.

The problem is a lot of people just don't really know the value of what they're selling, and odds are someone will capitalize on that if they don't know the price.

That is pretty cool. I don't know which side of Cleveland you live on, but you can try trading stuff in at "The Exchange" too. They are usually pretty generous with stuff, unless it is like scratched to hell or something.

I burned out the Exchange because I brought so much stuff in -- they started lowballing me HUGE (like, $35 for a box). Half Price Books ftw, in my book.

BUT

I'm not necessarily looking for anyting specifically, but i'm sure i could find a good chunk of shit i'd wanna buy off of you.