Man, I can't wait for Punknews to post this (AM!)

dude is a dick through and through...my friend's sister interviewed him a couple years ago and he was total prick to her and told her his band was bigger, better and more important than the Clash. What a sarcastic prick.

I can see the two general positions and why he'd be a dick to people. Fact is, if I was constantly talking about people thinking I was some kind of sell-out I would be a dick to people who brought it up to me. However, you can't get big being an anarchist and then become part of "the machine" and not figure you'll get some blowback.

Tom Gabel, phone answer: Next? We are going to kill kittens — and puppies. We are joining the Ku Klux Klan and then we are going to become Young Republicans. This is just all part of what happens when you sell your soul to a major label. But we got so much fucking money, dude. It's so fucking cool. I have a helicopter made of gold. I wipe my ass with money. It's great. Who says selling out doesn't have its merits? It's pretty fucking bad-ass. A soul is a lot of weight to carry around; I don't need that kind of weight.

E-mail answer: A lot of touring and hopefully another record at some point.

lololololololol

i really couldnt care less if the guy's an asshole. i like his band. i have enjoyed literally every record his band has released. i dont want to be his friend, nor do i want him to watch my dog while im away on vacation. i see an opinionated guy who may or may not have been slightly more opinionated in his youth. now he has to endure a shitstorm from a roving horde of narrow-minded, 17 year old, mom's basement "anarchists" who clearly have everything all figured out.

new wave was a great record FTW

I just genuinely feel they weren't ready for the constant heat they face from everyone. Reporters who didn't know who they were before this album are suddenly grilling them about anarchy and DIY.

I've met the band a couple of times and interviewed Tom twice and both times he's been really rad, but that's because I tried to avoid that bullshit. I can see (very easily) how he looks like a dick but it really just seems like he's tired of the same 5 questions being asked 100 times a day.

i've met and hung out with the band on a couple occaisions. They handed over their gaurantee from the first night on the FAT TOUR they headlined to help pay for the pressing of a benefit record for a kid they've never met. On warped they let a band on my label back them as their horn section.. after they met up randomly... they even took my friends onto network tv shows with them to perform. Tom sent me a free copy of the s/t record when i mentioned i didnt have one. My friend chris who runs asbestos with me showed up with his sax and asked if he could play disco before the breakdown with them.. sure enough they took him up on stage... thats not actions of a stuck up band who's out for themselves.

take tom's view for a second. he started playing songs and people started to care. he put out some tapes... more people cared. he put out a 7" or two on small labels... more people cared. He released one of the best punk albums of the last decade, and gets offered a deal from a label run by arguably the most successful DIY punk band in history. and they got shit for it. the same kids that loved him, and screamed themselves hoarse a few weeks earlier were slashing the tires on his van and calling him a sell out. and it got progressively worse with time. Fuck the kids man. Stupid elitist pricks who can't see the big picture, and you know maybe bringing a message to people outside their little scene. Its retarded. I don't blame tom at all.. dudes not 15 living with his mom anymore... hes not going to my job giving me shit for working for a huge corporation trying to make money to pay my mortgage... and alot of us were blindly following ideals that weren't well thought out to begin with, when we were 15 too.

"The goal of a record label is to make money off of the records they put out. Var and Jen from No Idea want to make money just as much as Mike and Erin at Fat, just as much as Ed Bronfman Jr. at Warner does."

what a jerk. way to make generalized, off-base statements, tom. if there's one thing ive learned from posting here, it's that the good people over at No Idea have no interest in profiting from their operation, and the 18th pressing of RAR is in no way indicative of some capitalistic ploy to make a buck.

:D

i've met and hung out with the band on a couple occaisions. They handed over their gaurantee from the first night on the FAT TOUR they headlined to help pay for the pressing of a benefit record for a kid they've never met. On warped they let a band on my label back them as their horn section.. after they met up randomly... they even took my friends onto network tv shows with them to perform. Tom sent me a free copy of the s/t record when i mentioned i didnt have one. My friend chris who runs asbestos with me showed up with his sax and asked if he could play disco before the breakdown with them.. sure enough they took him up on stage... thats not actions of a stuck up band who's out for themselves.

take tom's view for a second. he started playing songs and people started to care. he put out some tapes... more people cared. he put out a 7" or two on small labels... more people cared. He released one of the best punk albums of the last decade, and gets offered a deal from a label run by arguably the most successful DIY punk band in history. and they got shit for it. the same kids that loved him, and screamed themselves hoarse a few weeks earlier were slashing the tires on his van and calling him a sell out. and it got progressively worse with time. Fuck the kids man. Stupid elitist pricks who can't see the big picture, and you know maybe bringing a message to people outside their little scene. Its retarded. I don't blame tom at all.. dudes not 15 living with his mom anymore... hes not going to my job giving me shit for working for a huge corporation trying to make money to pay my mortgage... and alot of us were blindly following ideals that weren't well thought out to begin with, when we were 15 too.

A-fucking-men.

very well put, flood. i agree.

[image]

but it all goes back to the fact they were obstinantly a "indie band" and put out a dvd that i'm told is all about them being courted by majors and talking about how they'll never sign with a major...then sign to a major.(i have not seen the dvd...this is just based on talking with friends who do like this band)

i personally don't care, because i don't like that band and never have...i saw them on the axl tour and was bored out of my mind and thought they were borderline a joke...like watching Anti-Flag...just thought awww how cute the kids clap along 3-4 times during a 30 minute set.

the dude just comes off as a prick way too much to not be one at all. most people in his position or higher have probably been cool. fuck, i used to hang out with pete wentz all the time...same with matt skiba. at some point these people move on from who they were when they started...we all do...it's part of maturing...and when they do turn that corner...it's over.

also: who dug the hole they're neck deep in? this is like boy sets fire writing songs about being screwed by being on a major...duh! what the fuck did you think was going to happen?

yeah but can any of us imagine how grating it must be to have hundreds of people asking the same questions about aspects of your life and your work constantly? Criticizing you without even knowing you? its gotta be rough. how does one deal with going from being nearly homeless with an acoustic guitar, to being praised by mtv as the band that will save rock and roll? look what happened to bands like weezer or at the drive-in. people lose their shit. Tom can't take a shit without kids on punk news discussing the amount of fiber in it.

yeah ther were adamantly an independent band in their early twenties. I was drinking every night, and hooking up with 18 year olds at shows in my early 20's... a couple years later i matured, got married, got a house, and now spend my nights sober discussing records with similar housebound folk around the world. times change, people change. Tom isn't kicking puppies and raping grandmas. hes just putting out records, its not a huge impact on your lives. I liked the new album, and honestly at 29 i don't give a shit what label the bands i like sign too... thats their deal, their life. Most of the kids here would have balked at the thought of listening to country music when they were 15.. and now their all digging chuck ragan, lucero, and a shitton of other post punk alt country acts. its just progression.

Guest falloutcollapse

My old best friend started getting into this vegan, anarchist movement a few years back. It was a weird choice for a rich girl, but she was still my friend. It was her that showed me mailorder and animal rights and feminism and all that other good stuff. I read her pamphlets, anarchist cookbooks, and listened to her folk punk. I loved Against Me!'s older stuff she showed me. She always got pissed off when I would listen to them, because they were "sellouts." To me, I really don't care about this anarchist standpoint. Every opinion is valid, but really, I'm not going to throw out my copy of Crime because Against Me! signed to Fat/Sire. To this day, she still talks so much shit about Against Me! for no reason.

We're not friends anymore.

well pete wentz used to be kind of nice...he's a rockstar now. period. he changed a lot and the fame went to his head...same shit with skiba...weird dudes.

And like with every scene the dudes in big bands usually are just around at shows like everybody else...except pete was in a band that nobody cared about save 20-30 hardcore kids. when matt lived here, he was ALWAYS at shows. I certainly wasn't "name-dropping" those two are just the most shining examples of changing dramatically after gaining success. and moving away.

i don't care, i don't like that band...my opinion is built on the fact that the dude keeps publicly making a complete ass of himself and i'm not even going to touch the story about him getting arrested for slamming that kids head into a conter top. that speaks volumes for the kind of person he is to me.

i don't care about the dvd shit, i was just admitting to never watching it and their summary of it's contents, it has no bearing on my opinion of the band or gabel.

yeah...the dude probably used to be cool, but i would never treat someone doing an interview with such contempt. it's like in Bull Durham where Kevin Costner's character schools Tim Robbins character on how to answer questions in interviews....which what all his email replies are...

all i was trying to illustrate is that his decisions got him where he is...there are ways of answering questions you've answered 200 times and not being an arrogant asshole to the interviewer.

this is why musicians shouldn't do interviews. it's also why i try not to read interviews with musicians. 9 out of 10 artists i love i could care less about anything they have to say about anything. i'm not in it for them talking, i'm in it for their music. just give me the tunes.