Screamo/Scramz/Emo/etc

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suis La Lune is touring the east coast this summer, for those who might not know. They're playing here with Capsule, and I'm sure it will be ridiculously sick.

Holy shit, the last time I looked at the dates, Capsule certainly wasn't playing that show. I've had the day off of work since the tour dates were announced, can't wait to see Suis La Lune play, and now that Capsule is playing too? I'm not sure that Wayward is going to be in one piece afterwords...

It is nice to see Daitro get some love. They are so fucking good!

Daitro are the undisputed kings of screamo so far as I am concerned.

Personally, I much prefer the Euro take on the genre. That particular brand seems to rely on melody and nuance as opposed to the overt brutality of their American counterparts. My partner in crime, who is not by any means a fan of the genre, agrees.

I reluctantly shared some Daitro tracks with her (stuff off of Laissez Vivre) and she loved it. Said it was some of the most passionate music she'd ever heard. I was shocked. I don't share this part of my music library with many people for obvious reasons. I coudn't believe she enjoyed it. She was the first.

So we got to thinking about a project that we have been toying with -- we want to write a musical together. We came up with the idea of Terri Schiavo: The Musical, but only using french screamo (Daitro et al) as the musical numbers for Terri. It is incredibly interesting to consider that the thoughts and articulations of a (respectully) vegetable could only be screams in a foreign language.

Weird, I know. But intriguing to consider.

I've tinkered with some of the chording and tempo on some songs to translate it into two part piano. I think it will sound wicked if it works.

You should definitely move forward with that! I think it could be incredible when worked through to its fullest potential. I'd love to hear it and help with the project in any way possible.

I do like a lot of the more abrasive stuff as well, but I think Daitro is a perfect example of a band that crosses into a realm all their own. I was actually able to catch 12XU (which is Daitro playing melodic punk, and are quite fantastic in their own right) and picked up the Daitro LP "Y" and was blown away. I've been obsessed ever since. I'd do some pretty awful things to see them live.

You should check out Anomie. They were a French band who has a discography cd out that is really good. At times they kind of give off a Converge circa Petitioning the Empty Sky vibe but definitely fit in with this thread, at least to some degree. I highly recommend them.

Y is great and has some fantastic tracks, but I am in love with "Laissez Vivre Les Squelettes" as a body of work. Chaque Second off of that album (second track) gives me goosebumps. And split 12 with Sed Non Satiata is fantastic.

I, too, enjoy some of the more brutal contributions to the genre, but have a huge soft spot for the Euro sound. I'll definitely check out some of the other stuff you just mentioned, as well as keep you posted on the project. I can send you some of the piano tracks once they are finalized. This is all very preliminary at the moment, and I'm still learning to play the piano at the same time.

It would be beyond awesome if I contacted the band and they got on board. Or maybe even wrote something special for this.

Shit yeah! I may just try that...

I enjoy pretty much everything they've done. I would love to see them put out some new stuff in the future.

you should definitely contact them. I chatted with them a bit and they were incredibly nice guys. A friend of mine interviewed 12XU and said they were some of nicest people he's ever talked to so I'm sure they at the very least give you their best if not contribute in some way.

Let me know if you hear anything back!

New Sed Non Satiata album...thoughts? I'm digging it. More post-rock than screamy hardcore, but that suits me just fine. And I'm in love with that melodic Euro sound to begin with. Acoustic part is a bit long, but otherwise, a fantastic record.

New Loma Prieta album...thoughts? Needs to grow on me a bit, I think, though I haven't spent much time with it. Parts remind me a lot of the old Sailboats stuff, which is awesome. Need to hear this through headphones before deciding either way.