What are you currently reading?

Guest chappy5

The Hell's Eight Series, just finished reading.

I'm currently reading: Paramedic on the front line of medicine - Peter Canning.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

get back into a reading pattern so I can read "A Game of Thrones" for the first time. Super stoked.

A Song of Ice and Fire hooked me immediately and now I'm going crazy waiting for the fifth book (and the series coming to HBO). I've heard it appropriately described as "Sopranos with swords", and if that description sounds interesting then check it out. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

So my lady friend came over for dinner last night and brought me a "just because" gift. It was an autographed copy of the Karl Rove memoir I've been wanting!

Bradley,

If everyone had such an open mind, things might be different.

Karl Rove

When she had him sign it, she told him I'm a bleeding heart Liberal and how I came to be interested in what he had to say -- the NPR interview with Terry Gross. Hence, his comment to me.

I'm not one for autographs or anything, but that's pretty cool.

Can't wait to read.

So my lady friend came over for dinner last night and brought me a "just because" gift. It was an autographed copy of the Karl Rove memoir I've been wanting!

Bradley,

If everyone had such an open mind, things might be different.

Karl Rove

When she had him sign it, she told him I'm a bleeding heart Liberal and how I came to be interested in what he had to say -- the NPR interview with Terry Gross. Hence, his comment to me.

I'm not one for autographs or anything, but that's pretty cool.

Can't wait to read.

Dude, Karl Rove is a scumbag.

Maybe so, but that dude is a genius. Watch "Bush's Brain." It shows, assuming it's mostly true, just how calculating that guy is. The first political campaign he ever ran was for something like agriculture secretary in Texas. Not dissing the Ag. Sec, but pretty small potatoes in the grand scheme. In any case, Rove was a bulldog for this candidate he was working for. They allegedly bugged offices, planted false stories with the media and a whole bunch of other insane and totally over-the-top stuff.

Rove recently was in a debate here with Howard Dean. I didn't attend, but I understand Rove was quite eloquent and convincing. I guess he'd have to be though, right?

On Rove:

I'm about 200 pages in, and the guy is undoubtedly a genius. Like I said before, I am not in love with Karl Rove, nor am I becoming some sort of conservative activist. I am reading opposing points of view, his specifically, in a concerted effort to gain a broader knowledge base on modern American politics.

Assuming his accounts are true, and I've no reason to believe them not to be, Rovian Politics as it is called, is vastly misunderstood. He is a bulldog, yes, no doubt about it. His name is attached (rightfully or wrongfully in some instances) to some questionable tactics (show me someone in Washington whose name isn't.) But there has never been a political strategist as organized, thorough, and calculated as Karl Rove. He almost single handedly changed Texas from a state as blue as the Pacific Ocean into the bastion of conservatism we know Texas as today.

I don't care what your political beliefs are -- that is an accomplishment that is worthy of admiration on some level. Scumbag or not, he deserves respect.

Liberal strategists and political junkies alike would be well advised to pay attention to what Mr. Rove has to say.

Oh, they have certainly been paying attention. You don't see Obama fighting to undo the vast presidential powers Bush gained, thanks to Rove's handywork.

And it's always foolish to characterize your enemy as stupid or crazy. Rove is neither. He's calculating, smart and determined. So is James Carville. So are a lot of people. None of that makes them stupid or crazy. They know what they want and go get it.

I just FINALLY finished The Shia Revival by Vali Nasr. Seriously, if you pretend to pay attention to world current events, you need to read this book. It easily, yet very educationally, explains why the Middle East is a clusterfuck on so many levels but still gets to feeling sympathetic to some of the various viewpoints in the region. There's so much more going on there than anyone who follows mainstream media will ever pick up on.

Just make sure you either know the Middle East geographically or have a map handy. (He has added one to the book for convenience, but study it anyway.)

• 1 month later...

finished reading "Tell All" by Chuck Palahniuk. the first 70 pages go nowhere, but after that was nothing but chuck gold . highly recommend. The synopsis for his next novel sounds so damn good.

This weekend at half priced books there was an extra 20% off sale, so I got the preacher tradebacks I was missing (5-9) and wicked.