Modest Mouse - Good News... 2XLP has 2 pressings

I ended up with two different sealed copies of Modest Mouse's "Good News for People Who Love Bad News" and I've noticed some differences between the two. My FTP logins are on my other computer so I can't attach pictures right now, but here's what I've noticed:

Version One (assumed first pressing)

- Has a square sticker with the singles listed on it. The sticker has a catalog number of 87125 S1

- Epic logo on back sleeve has the hashed oval around it

Version Two (assumed second pressing)

- Has a large square sticker with the singles listed, images of an LP and headphones, and mentions the inclusion of a download code. The sticker has a catalog number of 87125 S2

- Epic logo on back is the "classic" cursive logo with no border

All other information (catalog, UPC, copyright, spine) is identical. Stands to reason the the first, without the download code would be a first pressing. I heard tell of a relatively recent repress but I'm not sure if either of these would be that one. Can anyone else verify any of this info? I'm very curious about that recent repress that people here were talking about finding on some webstore somewhere. Any more info?

Hope this helps some Modest Mouse nerd realize his collection is incomplete!

What?

I'm assuming he thought you were more or less stating the obvious, but he probably didn't read the last part of the OP's post.

yeah, Adam's right. it just read funny is all. i thought regret was taking the piss! :D

my copy has the "classic" cursive logo that seafoamgreen mentions, and it has the download code, but mine didnt have a sticker on the front and its catalog number is E2-87125-1

I bought it when it came out and it didn't have a download code. I'll verify the rest of the details match when I get home. Also, I would like to nerdily point out that the hashed oval pre-dates the cursive logo.

Schooled! I guess because I saw it on all the 80s releases I assumed it was older. According to Wikipedia, they stopped the older logo in the 70s but brought it back in the early 2000s- funny how the logo switch caught this record in between pressings.

And, to be clear, the sticker is only on the shrinkwrap- it's not on the sleeve itself, so the logo is the only real way to tell on opened copies. I haven't noticed a difference in pricing yet but we'll see how that shaked out if anyone starts actually caring about the two separate pressings.

• 1 year later...

I have an original Good New purchased before they reissued. It has AL 92010 and bl92010 on side 1 and 2 in the dead wax. It has al 92011 and bl92011 on side 3 and 4 in the dead wax. I have 3 reissues, one without any stickers on it and they all have dead wax codes beginning with E. I think that is the safest way to tell if its a first or not. Didnt notice the Epic logo difference before.