manipulating your records

i recently bought a record that has identical labels on boths sides and has no indication of a/b side. the record also has an equal amount of songs on both sides, so it has come down to memorzing the grooves. or if i am just lazy, it doesn't matter to me. does anyone have any records like this and if so, what have you done to make sure you are playing the side you want to hear?

If the labels are blank, I just go ahead and write A and B on it. If there's something worth not defacing, I just wing it.

the labels are identical to each other which hapens to be the cover art. its not that big of a deal to me. i thought about writing and b on them, but i can't even live with my penmanship on burned cds. i have been winging it though.

im just looking for what have people done if they have written on them or have taken another route.

I have a few albums like that. The deadwax markings will let ya know, then I always store them in the sleeves with side A facing the same way in my entire collection. I take it off the platter after playing the B-side, flip it over and back in the sleeve. A-side up. :D

I would try to avoid writing on it, I know I would regret it instantly. It's like buying a used record with someones initials or name on it, I know the LP and jacket are both in excellent condition, but I hate seeing the previous owners scribbles. But as said above, might just be my OCD related to my collection.

I'm not that ocd with my records. i guess with collecting anything there is some degree of ocd. i have just been thinking about stamping it. like those stamps you get on your hand at bars and shows. but just like writting/scribbling, i don't know if i can live with it either. storing a record has never occured to me, but it just might work in this case.

You could get some acid free (archival) removable stickers and just denote which side is which on it. That way it won't damage the label, and you won't have to write directly onto the label.

never thought of this. i like that. i have been thinking about it in a permanant sense. but i like seeing what side i am playing, really obvious, so i might go with this.

I'm an a-side up kind of guy.

But it's much more annoying when the labels don't indicate playing speed, since I have to lift the platter to switch between 33 and 45 rpm.

That sounds like a pain.

I do hate the non labeled speed as well. I drop the needle and sit down only to hear the music sounding either like the chipmunks or a evil, satanic growl for a voice.

That's one thing I love about my 1200, speed change with a press of a button. ;D

I would try to avoid writing on it, I know I would regret it instantly. It's like buying a used record with someones initials or name on it, I know the LP and jacket are both in excellent condition, but I hate seeing the previous owners scribbles. But as said above, might just be my OCD related to my collection.

I'm just the opposite as you...I love finding little notes, and even initials and names don't bother me for the most part. As long as I end up with a decent sounding record, it's almost sort of cool to think about the hands it was in before yours.

I dunno...to me there's something sorta cool about listening to an old copy of Sam Cooke's Night Beat with Heather <3 Billy scrawled on the paper sleeve.

I generally read the matrix but some of them are tough to get the light to hit just right.

It's all really a minor inconvenience but I definitely have a few I'd like to label. The Sigur Ros box comes to mind. Not only are the sides not labeled (aside from the matrix), the albums aren't labeled. I still haven't gotten to the point where I recognize the grooves.