Jawbreaker

Get "Bivouac" first if you can.. I'd personally go with etc first, then work your way up in order. With this band there's a process to listening and how they developed. They lyrically got better, but musically kinda plummeted. Mind you, "dear you" is good. but not my fav.

Dear You IMO. When I first got into JB it was 24 Hour Revenge, and I was 20 at the time. I kind of wrote them off because I was listening to Propagandhi, NOFX, Strung Out, etc. Being older, I can appreciate that record for sure, but Dear You is just cleaner, and sonically a little easier to swallow.

pretty much radio friendly? maybe? i heard "fireman" on the radio so much at work when this album came out. They still couldn't sell out emo's though. And this was before they tore down the wall.

I love "Dear You". In fact I think it's my favorite, but that's a pretty unpopular opinion regarding Jawbreaker.

actually it's a pretty popular opinion since most on these boards, like tony regret said, were first introduced to them through "Dear You", therefore have a certain type of bond with that album. Personally, I think some of their best songs were released on compilations or the "Chesterfield King" single.

You have to understand how controversial "Dear You" was when they released it. In fact, I reviewed it at the time and suggested fans steal the record, melt it into a brick, and throw it at the band. Many years later when the album was re-released I was forced to admit I was wrong about "Dear You." Blake had just had fucking throat surgery for pete's sake. And progression is the name of the game, right? Looking back "Dear You" was the perfect transition to Jets To Brazil.

But you're never going to hear a better song than "Chesterfield Kings" and I stand by that.

You have to understand how controversial "Dear You" was when they released it. In fact, I reviewed it at the time and suggested fans steal the record, melt it into a brick, and throw it at the band. Many years later when the album was re-released I was forced to admit I was wrong about "Dear You." Blake had just had fucking throat surgery for pete's sake. And progression is the name of the game, right? Looking back "Dear You" was the perfect transition to Jets To Brazil.

But you're never going to hear a better song than "Chesterfield King" and I stand by that.

i stand by your side on this one... Tour song being a close second.

also, his throat surgery had nothing to do with why he sang like he did on Dear You. while it was a good reason to do so, he had already made up his mind regarding the progression of his singing prior to the 24h album. As we (more like my friend/fan boy) asked him about his vocals while they were touring for "Dear You". Besides he sang all the old tunes the same way he did live prior to 24h. He didn't hold back whatsoever.

On another added note, no matter how lyrically genius most dear you songs are, you haven't heard a set closer of a song till you've heard Bivouac live. Fucking hell that song is awesome!

You have to understand how controversial "Dear You" was when they released it. In fact, I reviewed it at the time and suggested fans steal the record, melt it into a brick, and throw it at the band. Many years later when the album was re-released I was forced to admit I was wrong about "Dear You."

My friends and I were so pissed about them "selling out"...we went to the local mega-music store and took pictures of the cd in the racks (making sure the $17.99 price tag was visible) and mailed them to the band with a shitty note.

I, too, grew up and came around on the album. It really felt like a betrayal at the time, though.

i saw them on the first two tours and it was cool. well the 2nd time i don't think they wanted to play at all. blake said something about sxsw rubbing him the wrong way. they were just going through the motions. it was a awesome show nonetheless, more so because the club lost their liquor license so the booze was free. i was three sheets to the wind by end of night.

the 1st time was a blast though. i have tons of photos from that show.