Ever buy anything expensive on Craigslist?

Aside from a prostitute that is.

So I can't help but kind of want an iPad. They're sold out locally, but you can reserve one online. Anyways, I decided to do a quick search on Craigslist and there's a guy selling one for less than retail (even after tax) w/ a handful of accessories.

It sounds like a great deal. He sent me a few pics including the receipt. I Google'd his e-mail address and found him on a few websites. Seems like a legit person, but his grammar in some of the e-mails we've exchanged worries me.

He offered to meet me in a public place if I decide to buy the thing, but I'm still a little cautious with buying a technical device that's pretty damn expensive via Craigslist. Who knows if I got home and it didn't work right, etc... But I would be covered by Apple's warranty...

I've sold a few things on Craigslist with great success. The only time I've bought anything was an Airport Express for $80 about a month ago.

Thoughts?

my dad brought a motorcycle off there a few weeks ago, dude had a problem with grammar and typing in the e-mails but he seemed alright on the phone so we met him and hes a got a bit of a bad accent. so everythings cool and whatever and he tells me and my dad, "I wasn't sure about you guys so i had my .45 in my glove compartment in case y'all turned about to be psychos!"

ahh Texas.

I've bought and sold on craigslist, and I know a lot of people who have had a lot of success, but I'd stay away from a new, hyped up item like the iPad. I don't have any experience with something like that myself, but I'd be pretty weary of the item being broken/stolen.

If it sounds too good to be true then it probably is.

Friend sold a laptop on there, the guy didn't have the money on him, he went and got it from the ATM after he checked out the computer and made sure my friend wasn't trying to rob him. So, yeah, anytime it's over $100 I say don't have the money on you. Also, if the person isn't alone when you meet them you might want to bail.

Friend sold a laptop on there, the guy didn't have the money on him, he went and got it from the ATM after he checked out the computer and made sure my friend wasn't trying to rob him. So, yeah, anytime it's over $100 I say don't have the money on you. Also, if the person isn't alone when you meet them you might want to bail.

Hmm, I've always brought along another person whenever I've bought/sold stuff over the internet. For my safety at the very least.

I've bought and sold on craigslist, and I know a lot of people who have had a lot of success, but I'd stay away from a new, hyped up item like the iPad. I don't have any experience with something like that myself, but I'd be pretty weary of the item being broken/stolen.

If it sounds too good to be true then it probably is.

^This is what I was thinking.

i don't know man, it's not like it's a drug deal and you're not really allowed to take legal action if you were to get robbed. it's most likely that you have the person's phone number and/or email address, they'd be pretty stupid to pull something like that. even selling something that's stolen on craigslist is pretty stupid because once again, it's easily traceable both from you contacting the seller, and the fact that a lot of times when people have things stolen from them, that's the first place they look.

i bought a surfboard for $300ish and met at the dude's house. i figured if i got robbed, i had his address and stuff like that. thinking back, i should've left the money in my car and then went back to get it in case anything fishy happened, but it all turned out okay.

as for the iPad, I would probably wait on it until it becomes available simply because there could either be things wrong with it or it could be stolen.

my dad brought a motorcycle off there a few weeks ago, dude had a problem with grammar and typing in the e-mails but he seemed alright on the phone so we met him and hes a got a bit of a bad accent. so everythings cool and whatever and he tells me and my dad, "I wasn't sure about you guys so i had my .45 in my glove compartment in case y'all turned about to be psychos!"

ahh Texas.