Foo Fighters - The Colour And The Shape genuine?

Hi guys, found this forum after googling about the fake green vinyl version of this, now I have a question about the genuine black version. Well, what I hope is a genuine version.

LONG VERSION IF YOU HAVE TIME TO READ:

I recently bought a copy on ebay, and the only reason I have some suspicions is that the album is long out of print, and as you might know, sells for a fair bit because of it. Now I noticed one guy list a good looking copy for £59.95 with best offer option, I was tempted by this price, and was thinking of making an offer, when someone beat me to it and he sold it for £40. I was obviously annoyed, and thought my chance was gone. Then surprisingly the same guy added another copy, used the exact same auction layout and picture, same price/offer, and so I quickly slapped in my offer of £40, assuming he would accept. I got it in only 2 hours into the auction.

So I was exremely surprised to see my offer rejected. I thought he'd decided he wanted more for this copy, but was even more surprised that it went for the same £40. What were the chances someone else bid the same £40, before I did? Well I thought maybe the person did the same as I did, and saw the first one go for £40.

So again assuming I'd lost out, I see he uploads a third copy. Now I thought this was odd, three copies of this fairly rare album, and he's selling fairly cheaply/average for this record. But I looked at his other auctions and noticed he seemed to be a Vinyl dealer, and must've got a few copies. So I offered him £45 this time, and he accepts.

I got the Vinyl and looked at it, it's in mint condition and looks pretty good quality, doesn't look fake to my eye, all well made and produced. However, the guy has once again relisted another copy, and this has made me even more curious. I sent him a message to ask how he has so many copies, no response.

So, what do you guys think? I can't scan/take HQ pictures of it, but if someone else who has it can tell me some distinctions about it to help me ID it as genuine, that'd be great, any marking etc.

SHORT VERSION:

One guy has sold at least four copies of this LP in the last few weeks, seems a bit suspicious, want to know if mine is genuine, can anyone upload some HQ pics/details of any unique marking/distinctions so I can be sure it's genuine i'd appreciate it.

Cheers

Simon

That is what worried me. Also the fact it looks brand new.

Here is the seller/current auction:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FOO-FIGHTERS-THE-COLOUR-THE-SHAPE-2X12-VINYL-LP_W0QQitemZ280492191871QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Records?hash=item414ea3307f

Identical to the auction I won and the two before me. I want to be sure it's a bootleg before I contact him again though.

That's a bad photo but the sleeve looks too dark to me. Plus the sleeve looks pristine, and almost none of these I've seen are- 2XLPs really do a number on their sleeves. I'm guessing this is a bootleg. All signs point to this being a boot... though I've not seen a black boot before I'm sure they must exist.

That's a bad photo but the sleeve looks too dark to me. Plus the sleeve looks pristine, and almost none of these I've seen are- 2XLPs really do a number on their sleeves. I'm guessing this is a bootleg. All signs point to this being a boot... though I've not seen a black boot before I'm sure they must exist.

I disagree, the only sign of it being a bootleg is the fact that the guy has a bunch of them. But it happens. The only other boot I see from this seller is the Dookie LP. Lots of legit 90s stuff.

The color of the sleeve looks the same as mine, maybe a bit lighter from a flash or the lighting. The records in the picture also have the same double ridge (for lack of a better term) on the label. Heck of a coincidence. Is this the US or UK press?

i have the original release and bought it when it was released way back when.

here's some pics:

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

these are the 4 inner etchings on each side, in numerical order:

C1-57592-1

C1-57592-2 GATEWAY LC

C1-57593-3

C1 57593 4 RE-1 GATEWAY LC

hope it helps

ps IMO, if you were purchasing this for the fidelity of sound, i wouldn't. the vinyl is flimsy thin, has substantial inner groove distortion so the last track on each side is virtually unlistenable, there's no inner sleeve and the quality of the package is average at best.

as a collectable, fine and good, but the OG press leaves a lot to be desired sound quality wise, so these boots may well sound better.

[image]

I was at that 'Foo Fighters' show at Festival Hall in Brisbane too, was that like Feb 1998? I seem to recall going to Radiohead & Foo Fighters in the same month at Festival Hall way back when. My Mum picked me up from the show and we had a major fight on the way home resulting in me walking roughly four hours home, didn't have a mobile phone or an iPod back in those days so it was a pretty hectic walk home...ah mispent youth!

[image]

I was at that 'Foo Fighters' show at Festival Hall in Brisbane too, was that like Feb 1998? I seem to recall going to Radiohead & Foo Fighters in the same month at Festival Hall way back when. My Mum picked me up from the show and we had a major fight on the way home resulting in me walking roughly four hours home, didn't have a mobile phone or an iPod back in those days so it was a pretty hectic walk home...ah mispent youth!

yeah, something like that. small fucking world man! ;D loved the drum-off between the 2 protagonists! and the gold kits!

i went to that Radiohead gig too. one of the best gigs i've ever been to.

inner groove distortion: will take another listen to it. but in the past, every time i had spun it, it sounded just as shit as the previous spins. maybe it was not of the same pressing as yours, cheifwahoo. maybe it was an Aussie press or something, i dunno.

ps IMO, if you were purchasing this for the fidelity of sound, i wouldn't. the vinyl is flimsy thin, has substantial inner groove distortion so the last track on each side is virtually unlistenable, there's no inner sleeve and the quality of the package is average at best.

as a collectable, fine and good, but the OG press leaves a lot to be desired sound quality wise, so these boots may well sound better.

Inner groove distortion happens if your cartridge is not properly aligned, or just can not track the inner grooves. The only other time this happens is when you buy a used record that was played on a system that was not properly aligned, and the stylus did irreparable damage to the inner grooves.

I would check to make sure your stylus is aligned. Also, the more you pay, the more you get. My Rondo Red can track a lot of grooves that my OM40 couldn't. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies guys, especially with the images. As I said in the OP, I don't have a good camera around to take good pictures of mine, so i'd have to rely on yours.

It says made in U.S.A on the back writing like yours, and has the same barcode, so i assume it's the same pressing as yours is. The thing is, the text print isn't as good quality as yours. It's just not quite got that same clarity, another thing that puts me off.

Also whilst It does have the handwritten matrix, they are VERY faintly done, and hard to read. This is what I think they say:

SIDE 1: C1 57593-1 -A

SIDE 2: C1 57593-2 -B

SIDE 3: C1 57593-3 -C

SIDE 4: C1 57593-4 -D

Which are clearly different to yours, despite the same barcode and made in USA. I'm thinking good bootleg for sure now. Even smelling the cardboard it has that fresh new smell, certainly not the smell i'd expect after 13 years.

Also yeah I only really bought this as a collector, I don't even currently have a turntable to play it at the moment, I had to sell it a couple of months back needing urgent money :(

reckon I should just try and get a return/refund anyway? I'd much rather have a copy I know for sure is genuine, rather than being in two minds, leaning towards bootleg.

EDIT: Final nail in the bootleg coffin, I just checked his feedback history, he has already sold 5 of these (including mine) and has the sixth one listed. No way he has 6+ of original pressings.

I've prepared a message for the seller, think that should do the trick, and if I get no response I'll file a complaint with ebay/paypal:

After checking extensively with other people who own copies of this LP, I've concluded that this must be an unoffical bootleg repressing, unless you can prove to me otherwise.

The condition overall is good as new like it was just pressed, not in 1997. It even has a fresh "new" smell. I know for a fact there have been no official represses of this. Also comparing to other people who own it, the hand printed matrix is slightly different, and not as visible. Secondly the text on the back is not clear white like it should be, it's slightly fuzzy off-white.

Also, this is a fairly rare record, pressed as I say in 1997, and after checking your feeback, you've sold atleast five copies of this including mine, and have a sixth on auction now. Where on earth would you get 6 pristine copies of this from?

So yes, unless you can prove to me this is real, and so were the other four you already sold, and the sixth you currently have for auction, I would like to request a refund.

Hmm well I got a reply back pretty quick:

"hi,

this in not a bootleg,i used to workat a shop called music main

in south wales and have had 4 copies since then.i have sold all 4

but only 2 people paid for them so they where relisted.if you not

happy with yours please return for a full refund.

thanks"

Sounds very fishy to me.

Ugh I'm really in two minds, on one hand I could have a mint untouched copy for a good price, or a good looking recent worthless bootleg.

dude you sound like an asshole. you're talking about a record you haven't even fucking listened to. shut the fuck up.

i bought a boot of this because a. the powers that be still haven't realized they would make a mint of they repressed this and b. i didnt wanna pay $120+ dollars for an original

the fact is, regardless of whether its a boot or not, the one i have looks and sounds great. if you really thought you were getting an "original" for way less than it normally goes that some seller had a bunch of out of the blue then you're an idiot and you shouldn't have bought it in the first place and you're a dick to ask for a refund.

the fact is, regardless of whether its a boot or not, the one i have looks and sounds great. if you really thought you were getting an "original" for way less than it normally goes that some seller had a bunch of out of the blue then you're an idiot and you shouldn't have bought it in the first place and you're a dick to ask for a refund.

I don't think he's a dick to ask for a refund if it is indeed a boot. The seller should own up the fact in the auction. Call it a boot, unauthorized reissue, fan club pressing, whatever. Say something.

Ugh I'm really in two minds, on one hand I could have a mint untouched copy for a good price, or a good looking recent worthless bootleg.

dude you sound like an asshole. you're talking about a record you haven't even fucking listened to. shut the fuck up.

i bought a boot of this because a. the powers that be still haven't realized they would make a mint of they repressed this and b. i didnt wanna pay $120+ dollars for an original

Was there any need for that? Originally I thought the guy had three and being a record dealer it's not that hard to believe he had three legit copies. It wasn't THAT cheap, they go for around £50-£60 on ebay UK all the time.

I've spoken to the guy about my concerns, and he is happy to refund me. You may be happy with a bootleg of this, but I am not, I want to be sure I have the real thing. If I wanted to I'm sure I could sell this potential bootleg back to someone else for more than I bought It, but I wouldn't do that, I'd rather send it back to him and someone else have it at a bargain price, and i'll carry on the hunt for another copy.

The only thing that makes this sound like a boot is that the buyer was a dick in his message and the seller cheerily offered up a full refund. Let's see a pic of this blurry text.

I wish I could, as above though, I don't have a decent camera to hand, just the one on my phone. I'll try and scan it, but I don't want to risk bending it.