has Punknews "Jumped the Shark"?

I'm not trying to be a dick, maybe it's just been a slower or less exciting streak of months, but to me, Punknews kind of got boring or at least less exciting when they eliminated the Anonymous comments.

It's still the best punk rock news source...but I find myself less interested in the content as of late. Too much FOB / Duplo-punk(like the kids legos: safer, round edges so the kids don't hurt themselves...but in band form.) News, etc...

Your thoghts?

Can someone please explain what "jumping the shark" means

It originates form television. When a show runs out of plot, or good writing it's jumped the shark. It started with the episode of Happy Days where the Fonze actually jumped a shark tank.

Typically it was meant to refer to worse writing and more gimmicky plots. Currently it is applied to anything that has climaxed and is slowly waiting to die.

I still enjoy it. I can see the appeal of anonymous comments but it got really old to have the same three guys post the same shit over and over again. I like the minimal amount of accountability I just wish people were as willing to say their bullshit under the name "XtotaliePunxgui" as they were when it was "someone".

I think Punknews.org got better when they banned anonymous posting. I stopped reading the comments and posting when it was a cesspool. Anonymous posting is seriously the worst thing on the Internet. Everyone has a voice, which is great in theory, but people say the dumbest and most derogatory things that I really can't take it. I've been with Punknews since almost the very beginning and those kids were really ruining the site.

Guest conoley

Ah, come on, it's not all FOB coverage. Some headlines from just the last two days are listed below.

I would argue that the other stuff about band you don't care about stands out more because you hear about bands you really like outside of .org while you and your pals don't discuss Angels ans Airwaves (or maybe you do?)

Lemuria: "Mechanical"

Chuck Ragan completes new collaborative project

Rancid to release "B Sides and C Sides"

Mighty Mighty Bosstones post 3rd "Road to the Throwdown"; add Street Dogs, Zox

Dillinger Four updates on long, long, long, long-awaited album

Interview with Doghouse Records (not bad, if I say so myself!)

Fat Wreck Chords releases "Hanuk-Comp

Members of Converge, Integrity form Irons (

Smoke Or Fire / Fake Problems to tour February

Teenage Bottlerocket: "In the Basement"

Gallows / F*cked Up (UK)

The Swellers: "By A Thread (Acoustic)"

Flogging Molly (4th Annual Countdown to St.Patrick's Day

yeah...i think its still good, like ben pointed out..there are mostly good new stories on there, but its the 1 out of 20 that is about fall out boy/the grammys/against me that get all the attention and complaints

and the end of anonymous posting is good in my book...i mean, ill be the first to say i posted some random anonymous comments but when it got to the threads about someone passing away, or a band getting robbed, stuff like that...some people ran it into the ground

Ah, come on, it's not all FOB coverage. Some headlines from just the last two days are listed below.

I would argue that the other stuff about band you don't care about stands out more because you hear about bands you really like outside of .org while you and your pals don't discuss Angels ans Airwaves (or maybe you do?)

Lemuria: "Mechanical"

Chuck Ragan completes new collaborative project

Rancid to release "B Sides and C Sides"

Mighty Mighty Bosstones post 3rd "Road to the Throwdown"; add Street Dogs, Zox

Dillinger Four updates on long, long, long, long-awaited album

Interview with Doghouse Records (not bad, if I say so myself!)

Fat Wreck Chords releases "Hanuk-Comp

Members of Converge, Integrity form Irons (

Smoke Or Fire / Fake Problems to tour February

Teenage Bottlerocket: "In the Basement"

Gallows / F*cked Up (UK)

The Swellers: "By A Thread (Acoustic)"

Flogging Molly (4th Annual Countdown to St.Patrick's Day

You're right Ben. Its just when two pop-up in one day about FOB or Angels and Airwaves that bugs me. Especially because some news gets lumped together as one big news item when it comes from smaller labels.

I don't think it's gotten too shitty, I still check it at least once a day, usually more. The Pete Wentz/Fallout Boy/Angles and Airwaves articles I tend to skip in favor of reading about stuff that I give a damn about. I like to read the reviews just to see what other people thought about stuff that I've been enjoying lately, I've been meaning to write my own reviews for the site because I'd like to get the word out about a few releases that most may not have heard of, but I just drink beer instead.

Guest conoley
I'm kind of partial

And by partial you mean bias. ;)

I think partial works: # S: (adj) fond, partial ((followed by `of' or `to') having a strong preference or liking for) "fond of chocolate"; "partial to horror movies"

I am partial to punknews.org (compared to any other site)

Although I also have bias.