BUKOWSKI

Guest kingbuzzo

You Get So Alone At Times That It Just Makes Sense is my favorite of his. I've read everything he's written and most books about him. I like Tales of Ordinary Madness also. Everything of Bukowski's is worth reading I'd say.

Guest kingbuzzo
"Run with the Hunted" is a good sort of greatest hits book.

"Hollywood" sucks.

I like his stories better than his poems.

I don't think "Hollywood" is that bad. It's not the greatest thing ever committed to page but it's readable. Looking at my bookshelf I have "Play The Piano Drunk Like a Percussion Instrument Until The Fingers Begin To Bleed A Bit" sitting here and that's a pretty decent collection of poetry. I also like his stories better than his poems most of the time except for "You Get So Alone...." which is one of my favorite books. "Pulp" is a fun book as is "Women."

Guest kingbuzzo
At one point I had tons of his books. There had to be 20 or more. One day I took them all to the store and sold them. Wish I hadn't done that, but I was young and needed the money.

That really sucks. I have this bad habit of loaning books out and forgetting who has what so at various points I've lost a lot of books that I haven't gotten around to replacing.

Guest kingbuzzo

You should also check out John Fante.

Yeah, John Fante is another good writer. I really liked "Ask The Dust."

Maybe we should start a thread for book recommendations.