American Girl record player for dolls

http://store.americangirl.com/agshop/html/ProductPage.jsf/itemId/112640/itemType/FG/webTemplateId/3/uniqueId/497/cxl/Y/XcellId/TRUE

I took my daughter to the American Girl store yesterday and found this. It's pretty cool. It comes with three 45s, and each one plays the songs listed on its' label. I'm not sure how it works (it's not a real record player although it does spin and won't play until you put the needle on the record), but it has something to do with the grooves on the back of the record. My daughter loves it.

this was my first turntable when i was a wee one:

[image]

then i upgraded to this bad boy:

[image]

i wonder if it's still at my parents' house with the old records i used to have. i remember listening to a McDonald's Big Mac promotional record that sang the jingle. i still have that thing memorized all these years later... "two all beef patties special sauce lettuce cheese pickles onions on a sesame seed bun." hmm, i'm going to their house this weekend, i'm going to have to do some snooping.

That's rad. I used my dad's bad-ass Pioneer setup until someone ripped the jewell stylus out of it. Then I got one of those portable shits, before moving up to those fake component systems everyone used to have, with a turntable on top, a radio, and dual tape deck. I had some good times with that thing.

it really is incredible how stupid little toys like this can truly shape a child's life. my two favorite toys as a youngster were this turntable and a fisher price basketball hoop. i'd play basketball for hours every single day. now i'm 23 and have a degree in radio/television to be a sports broadcaster, and damn near 1,000 records.

this was my first turntable when i was a wee one:

[image]

then i upgraded to this bad boy:

[image]

i wonder if it's still at my parents' house with the old records i used to have. i remember listening to a McDonald's Big Mac promotional record that sang the jingle. i still have that thing memorized all these years later... "two all beef patties special sauce lettuce cheese pickles onions on a sesame seed bun." hmm, i'm going to their house this weekend, i'm going to have to do some snooping.

I actually had both of these when I was younger. My dad gave me beach boys records to play on them.

I took my daughter to the American Girl store yesterday

it's amazing the things you'll do for kids. I can't tell you how many times I've been to Claires & Limited Too/Justice in the last few years..

You're not kidding. I took her to the grand opening of the store and the line was around the block. They estimated the wait was 72 hours. I'm hoping nobody waited that long.

I never played with toy record players. my mom bought me a real one when i was 4 or 5 from SEARS along with some records (yes, they sold records at Sears). Well it was a stereo system with a record player and cassette. I was floored. It wasn't even my birthday or Christmas. I had LUBYS that day and got a Stereo. Fuckin' A. I don't remember how many times i played "Dressed to Kill" that day.

The coolest record player i had though. Got it at Woolworth's for i think $19.00 or so. It was a Welcome Back Kotter Record player. Had it till 99' when i moved, forgot it, and it somehow got lost in the shuffle. :(

.... and now i have a moustache like Gabe Kaplan.