getting 4 wisdom teeth yanked at once

I had a worse case scenario happen:

All 4 wisdom teeth out. Woke up during the procedure. Spent 2 weeks extremely sick because the wounds got infected and I was having temperatures around 102 degrees. That on top of the non-stop bleeding out of my mouth and ridiculous pain.

I highly doubt you'll have the same problems I did, but good luck!

my bff had his done that way...my dentist and ortho told me I might only ever have one wisdom tooth come in if any because they don't show up on my xrays...which really is a fucking relief after 3 years of braces.

just be careful when you rinse your mouth out, you'll want to keep it clean with whatever they tell you to use, just be gentle and don't "swish" and tilt your head slowly side to side letting it run through. no spitting either...you literally have to let it drool out of your mouth lol. the swishing can cause the newly forming scabs to become loose and lead to an infection.

all in all i'd say you're in for a couple uncomfortable weeks but some sweet meds!

Got all 4 (all erupted and not impacted) of mine out about 3 months back by my wife (don't worry she's a dentist). She prescribed me vicodin and all I did was watch movies and play super mario wii. I think I lost about 8 pounds after a couple weeks from the soft food diet (185 to 177). The pain never really bothered me, but getting food stuck in the holes was extremely annoying and didn't start getting better for about a whole month. I never used a syringe to wash the food out, but I gently rinsed with salt water and used tweezers.

I was dreading the removal of my wisdom teeth since early childhood, when I'd see various friends' older brothers return from the procedure with swollen faces, black eyes, and mouths full of bloody gauze. (You'd swear they had been in a fight, as opposed to the dentist's office.)

I had "all" three of mine removed about two years ago. I opted to use anesthetics, and the entire procedure honestly felt as if it took two seconds. I recall staring at the ceiling's pattern as they were prepping my arm for the I.V., at which point a nurse [?] informed me to take a deep breath and relax. And without so much as blinking, the doctor asked if I was ready to stand up. Fastest 50 minutes of my life. Kind of wish I had been staring at a clock, just to see what it would have looked like.

I quickly learned, post-operation, that all my worrying was in vain. But as a few members have mentioned - the outcome will obviously vary from person to person. How well you handle the pain meds; how quickly your gums heal; there are just a lot of factors. I believe I bled for a few hours of the afternoon, but that was pretty much it. As stated, Macaroni & Cheese is an excellent route to go. I personally lived off of chocolate pudding and scrambled eggs. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  Worked wonders.

And like Kittenmittons pointed out, you really want to avoid breaking your blood clots / newly formed scabs. Doing so results in dry socket, I think the term is called? I could be mistaken.  It's supposedly painful as hell, and doubles the time necessary to make a full recovery. As long as you relax your jaw, you shouldn't have much of a problem at all. You're supposed to avoid straws, cigarettes, and anything else that would create suction. Just as a heads-up. I wouldn't try chewing anything during the first day, either, just to be on the safe side. Pudding, ice-cream, and possibly soup are ideal.

Kind of rambled in this post. Sorry about that. As someone who was a total pussy about the procedure, I can say that it was absolutely nothing to sweat. That was just for me, though. I have a friend who found out he's allergic to percocets, after taking them. He ended up hurling his guts out shortly after his operation. All the tension and heaving tore all four of his scabs-in-progress, so he had a mouth full of dry sockets to top it off. I suppose shit like that just happens.

Not trying to give you a lovely story to take with you into the doctor's office or anything. The chances that everything goes smoothly for you are quite high. But best of luck, regardless.

^ Yeah, getting mine removed was the first time I'd ever had any sort of medical operation involving knocking me the fuck out, and it was honestly cool as hell. One minute it's 12:30pm and I ask how long the stuff takes to knock me out, and next thing I knew it was 8pm and I was at home.

The best part is that I was apparently awake and responsive after the operation and before 8pm, but I don't remember a single thing about it. (Though looking through my text messages the next day proved that even while totally fucked up, I'm still far too sarcastic for my own good)

^ I was in the same situation. All 4 were impacted, and I'd never had any sort of operation at all, so I was freaking the fuck out. To make things worse, I had to go to this totally ghetto oral surgeon's office who couldn't even view my x-rays because their technology was that antiquated. Regardless, shit went fine, and I recovered in no time at all. Didn't even use my pain pills.

My only real complaint was the "dissolving" stitches. Rather than dissolving, mine untied themseves, but still stuck in my gums, so I essentially had these big pieces of rope sticking off of my gums. After like a month of them bugging the fuck out of me, I just yanked them out and all was good.