Last week a bat, this week an owl...

that is a fledgling great horned owl. if it isn't hurt, it will be able to fly very soon. at that age they can also climb very well. there is probably a nest nearby. if it is indeed injured (sometimes they can get hurt while learning to fly) it is best to let the wildlife people handle it because they have very strong feet and talons.

Unfortunately the wildlife people in Missouri are only able to pick up injured animals during normal business hours. I guess animals only get hurt when we are at our day jobs.

I went to check on him last night before I went to bed and it was unfortunately dead. I was really bummed out last night. It was killing me knowing that there was a hurt animal in my yard and there was nothing I could do for it.

Sorry for the downer this morning...

This should cheer someone up...

My wife is a manager at a gas station with a drive through. Today a woman shut her car engine off so that she could better hear one of the employees and they heard a little voice meowing. She went outside, and they popped the hood of the car, only to find a little yellow kitten inside! They made all the other cars back out of this narrow little drive so they could save it.

Apparently the girls that work there were trying to coax her out with a dog biscuit, and she wouldn't move. So they tried using a broom to push her out, and she wouldn't budge. When my wife saw what they were doing, she went out, reached in and snagged her up by the scruff of her neck. All of the employees were "afraid she'd bite or scratch them."

She's a little baby! Seriously?

So she spent most of the day in the office, and we found her a nice home with a really sweet lady.

You can't tell, but some of her little kitty whiskers are singed. I said we could keep her if we couldn't find her a home. I wanted to name her Lita! She can't be more than 6 weeks old. She's JUST weaned. My wife took her around, snuggled up inside her jacket. Everyone mentions how loud her voice is. If she wasn't so loud, she'd be dead by now.

She's in my bathroom right now, tomorrow the nice lady comes to get her. I hope she has a great life.