Should I Unwrap My Record ?

I was recently in contact with the label of one of my favorite artists.

And they said that he would be able to sign some stuff for me if I sent it to them.

I am considering buying a record on Ebay to send to him to sign (Costs about $28).

The Ebay ad says it is still sealed in the original wrap, I was wondering if it would be a good idea to unwrap it and then send it to him so he could sign the jacket and potentially the record itself, then I could frame it or display it somehow.

It is not a terrible popular artist, so I don't think an un-opened record of his has any special value at this point in time.

So basically, would the fact that it is un-wraped take away any potential value in the future, or does the fact that the record itself would be signed, and not the wrapping, out-weight that risk ?

Thanks

So basically, would the fact that it is un-wraped take away any potential value in the future, or does the fact that the record itself would be signed, and not the wrapping, out-weight that risk ?

Shouldn't the determining factor of you buying a record be whether you LIKE the album or not? Not it's future potential value? This is a legitimate question.

i think it's funny you're buying a record just to have it signed. is there a print or gig poster or something a little more suitable for framing you can get signed?

i would also take it out of the wrap for the aforementioned reasons. including listening to it. if it's one of your favs, try listening to it on vinyl. it's like hearing it for the first time all over again and can be a really awesome experience.

/serious, nice response when sarcasm would've been easier

Shouldn't the determining factor of you buying a record be whether you LIKE the album or not? Not it's future potential value? This is a legitimate question.

Well, I am not getting it signed just for the future value (it will likely never be worth much anyway). I am getting it singed because I think it would be cool, a I am going to get some enjoyment out of owning a singed record.

I was just wondering if I would be making some big mistake by opening the wrapper. I don't know much about vinyl. haha

LOL at even the thought of asking someone to sign the shrinkwrap on a sealed record.

Yea, I know.

I was just going to open it right away and send it off, but I decided to ask some people who know what they are talking about. I thought maybe it would be analogous to a collector opening the box that an action figure comes in :P

Open it, have the artist sign it, frame it, and smile every time you see it.

Most of what you're going to get here is people being snarky, myself included. This board is mostly made up of people who want to own the rarest of things on the prettiest of colors, or have the things that are going to go up in value the most so they can flip them, or people who just enjoy listening to their favorite music on their favorite media. Oh yeah, or they're here to hit on Allison.

So seriously, if you just want a memento of someone you admire, I suggest opening the shrink wrap, getting the signature, and having it framed. If it looks nice on the wall and pleases you, mission accomplished. Don't trust the words of flippers and hipsters and jaded cynical internet shitheads.

Oh yeah, or they're here to hit on Allison.

Don't trust the words of flippers and hipsters and jaded cynical internet shitheads.

actually, i don't even collect vinyl. my membership here is just a giant sham to get all the guys here to fall madly in love with me just so i can later have them commit mass kool-aid drinking love-suicide for me later. THEN i will become a collector of vinyl when i amass the largest collection known to man as a direct result of them specifying in their wills that i get their record collections. BWAHAHAHAHA.

oh, and lol @ that last line.

oh, and AND, insert snarky comment about the OP potentially getting the vinyl itself signed here.