records melted in the mail?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not just from sitting out in the sun. I recently became a mailman, and for the past month or so, driving this:

[image]

feels like driving this:

[image]

you wanna cookie......... ;)

i understand that it is hot and shit in those but there is no way a record is going to heat up so bad that it bends the fuck out of the cardboard like that.

now heat and some pressure i can understand. its obvious that heat and some other object was involved.

at least the post new it was damaged somewhere along the lines.

I don't know exactly, but I think it was in a hot truck with something sitting unevenly on top of it. It basically just bent the whole thing, box and all. This, by the way, is not unusual. I've seen records bent almost in half.
it was most likely bent en route and the heat just made it worse. so in OP's question, it is not his responsibility.

Yeah, it doesn't hurt. You can fix slightly warped record by squishing them in between some other records for a while. Severe warps can't be fixed this way. That Isis 12" has been smashed in my record shelves for a long time, since the day I got it actually which was (I'm guessing) about two years ago, and it's still warped as hell.

Yeah, it doesn't hurt. You can fix slightly warped record by squishing them in between some other records for a while. Severe warps can't be fixed this way. That Isis 12" has been smashed in my record shelves for a long time, since the day I got it actually which was (I'm guessing) about two years ago, and it's still warped as hell.

I read somewhere about putting it in between 2 pieces of glass in the the sun for a bit. I'd assume anything hard/flat/clean would work as well as the glass. I haven't tried it but it makes sense.

What causes records to warp so badly? ;D

HEAT! For the most part, you can't ben a record just by putting something heavy on it. But if you add heat it's on like Donkey Kong.

Also, I have seen records warped by heat alone. People will put them in their attics and the whole collection will warp. No pressure needed. My loft has a fan that circulates cool air up there at all times of the year because heat rises and the loft gets hot. Everybody (I thought) knows that heat and records don't mix.

I've always wanted to make a bowl out of some highly desirable/rare record(s) just for the temporary lulz. I doubt I will ever go through with it though.

maybe you can find a highly desirable/rare record scratched to shit and buy it for cheap to turn into a "tortilla bowl"

I do have some records that have skips/loops in them, or are just warped to shit (nothing rare/desirable thankfully), that I thought about bowling up...that way, I can frame the covers! ;)

Also, no pics of the record in question is definitely a bit on the sketch side.