is collecting record a new trend ?

vc folks,

i just speak to people who around me and have same taste in music like me.

they're bangkok scenesters who bought 5 cds at least a month and all of us always broke from support what we love.

some of them are alternative musicians.

some of them are music journalist (who is my co-worker).

some of them are d.i.y. concert organizer who ever dealed with u.s. band and imported many good band for play at here.

some of them are record label owner who handle copy right for make under license cd. most in his hand are metal.

all of us are music nerds.

they just asked me how i think about many albums and many back catalog was repress in this year.

and they said 'vinyl collecting maybe a new trend of music nerd'

we are living in a country which no record plants and i can (and afraid to say) over half of people at here don't buy copyright cd and listen to pirate file from share file websites. those rhings are really annoy our scene and it change supporting habit of people who into non-mainstream music.

please share what do you think about this poll.

i just wanna know how people in country which have a record plants and bigger scene think.

if you're not from the country which no record plants and have a same size of scene of bangkok, i also welcome to hear your think.

share please....

:)

In short: Yes.

But there's something subversive about the recent explosion of kids who buy and collect records. We're somehow responsible for the dismantling of the music industry, but somehow still buy and consume more media than anyone else. Sure, the typical person has no interest in a bulky, costly collection of plastic discs that sound no better to them on ther ION turntables than their 128kbps iTunes rips of CDs. I think the sudden spike in vinyl interest centers around the hobby being "fun" - colors, variants, special editions, the like. It makes the hobby and one's collection extremely attractive. Of course - the nostalgia factor. And it gives people something to occupy themselves. There's much complaint over the abundance of poseurs, newjacks, and trend hoppers invading the scenes. But what are the complainers really upset at? More album sales? More interest in scenes saturated with copy cat bands? Who gives a fuck? People have a chance to make records, whether they're listenable or not is a different debate, and people are eating them up. That's awesome for everyone. Bands can tour, make records, fans can see shows and buy and (maybe) listen to records. Some people can quit their shitty day jobs to run their labels or go on tour. I don't think a sudden revitalization of said behavior is anything to worry oneself about. All trends are cyclical anyway. Hell, look at all these new cassette labels.

In an age where most people's music collections can be decimated with a delete key, a record collection is a beautiful thing. Even if you think their taste sucks.

In short: Yes.

In an age where most people's music collections can be decimated with a delete key, a record collection is a beautiful thing. Even if you think their taste sucks.

I still have my 1TB HDD where in my drunken bliss managed to ruin years and years of well maintained and carefully collected music. I decided it was time to revamp this music collection of mine to a physical medium and focus all of my efforts on collecting copies of what I love.

Yeah, it's a trend, I mean come on. When a store like Urban Outfitters (not hating, I dig the place) starts selling frames for hipster kids to hang their limited editions on the walls without ever playing them you can't deny it's a trend. But it's not necessarily a bad one. As previously said it's supporting bands and labels whether people listen to their vinyl or not and you have to admit, vinyl can be as appealing visually as it is audibly.

(Most) people aren't going to blow money on something they don't like, whether people listen to their vinyl or not, stupid or not, trendy or not, they're supporting the artist and ultimately showing that they appreciate the band and their music which in the end is what matters.

It will never die, however it is currently becoming trendy.

You can witness this in the amount of people collecting as compared to ten years ago, the amount of interest major labels are showing in pressing their releases, and the high turnover rate. Everyday people are dumping their "collections" of 30 or 50 records because they can't afford it or whatever their reason is. It certainly is trendy to collect records right now.

I don't think that it's a bad thing at all. I think it is positive in that you can go to a place like Urban outfitters and buy some frames, instead of trying to find them online or something. I found these at big lots for $4 each which was excellent to frame some of my favorite LP's that I have duplicates of(none being a collector limited edition). I also think it's great because when this thing dies down there will be a ton of used records available and the prices will come down on a large amount of records in the secondary market.

Sure it can be obnoxious to jaded collectors listening to kids go on and on about their collections which contain 45 nofx records, 30 copies of re inventing, and every press of every gaslight anthem record. I'm not saying I am one though :P

Also I will be a tiny bit happier when all these obnoxious colors go away. Splatter records are pretty gross.

Sure it can be obnoxious to jaded collectors listening to kids go on and on about their collections which contain 45 nofx records, 30 copies of re inventing, and every press of every gaslight anthem record. I'm not saying I am one though :P

You had me going until this bit; I don't quite get it. Why would those collections be any less than the collections of someone else? Can one not be a 'jaded collector' who collects NOFX records? Would a record collection of 45 Beatles albums be any different?

The rest of your post makes sense to me, but I don't see how that ties into it.

You had me going until this bit; I don't quite get it. Why would those collections be any less than the collections of someone else? Can one not be a 'jaded collector' who collects NOFX records? Would a record collection of 45 Beatles albums be any different?

I don't think he tried to imply the collections are beneath others, just that some aren't fans of variant collections.

I can dig the crazy variant collections, but I don't think I could pursue something like a LTJ or RAR collection myself. I have a few collections with variants, but having 30+ copies of one release is a bit much for me.

Popularity makes the kids' worlds' go around and whilst records are spiking back into pop culture, you have to consider that CDs have only been around since the 80s, downloading being even more recent, whilst records (in some form or another) date back to the mid 1800s. so they've always been around and will always be around (as long as we have oil to drill though....) of course we all know its currently getting very popular to collect them, but more importantly (for me anyway) is one of the points a couple of previous commentators have made - whatever helps getting your favourite band exposure is a good thing. and if kids buy records of their favourite band, and their favourite band can keep touring and releasing records, then whatever any naysayers have to say about trendiness or whatever doesn't matter a shit, coz your band can still exist due to your continued financial support and can continue to rock your world. i can only hope that this trend continues to get more popular. it sucks to see great bands get nowhere and disappear coz no-one is buying their product.

After rereading my comment, it doesn't really come out the way I wanted. I haven't had my coffee yet so I don't know that this attempt will be much better but I will try.

I used those band examples as it was relevant to this message board, being the only one I frequent. I do not mind the variant collectors and I can respect anyone who has a nice sized collection going outside of a certain band/album. I think it's a fine line between healthy and obnoxious. I dont think it's a negative thing to collect one artist/album. I think that it can be a little unhealthy and obnoxious when one only focuses on that album and artist and largely ignores the medium outside of this.

There's much complaint over the abundance of poseurs, newjacks, and trend hoppers invading the scenes. But what are the complainers really upset at? More album sales? More interest in scenes saturated with copy cat bands? Who gives a fuck? People have a chance to make records, whether they're listenable or not is a different debate, and people are eating them up. That's awesome for everyone.

My problem with the abundance of poseurs, newjacks and trend hoppers is a couple things.

1. They inflate the prices of records.

2. They seem to have brought with them this culture of everything being a "limited collector's edition". It sucks knowing that you have to preorder a record or risk completely missing out on it. (the labels are obviously part of this problem as well)

3. Because many of these newjacks don't actually listen to their records, they don't know how to handle them. It bums me out knowing that in a couple years when vinyl is no longer trendy, I could be buying a used record that some kid had all over his filthy floor so he could take a picture of his "collection". (several examples of this in the collections thread)

4. The headache that comes with selling/shipping records these days. The inexperience of some kids when it comes to mailordering is astonishing. They expect everything to arrive the next day and in perfect mint condition or they slam you with a paypal claim.

I, for one, can't wait until the trend dies.