mailboxes for your records?

Me and the lady are now proud owners of a little home in a little city here in Washington State. I've had a PO BOX for the past ten years because I've had shady neighbors, mailboxes at the end of roads, etc. Our new place is in a nice neighborhood and I'm not super worried my records will go missing or whatever, but I was wondering if anyone has made custom mailboxes that postal employees can drop records into and stay secure until you're home. Either mailboxes that sit on your porch, end of the road/sidewalk or a straight up drop through your door/wall.

I was thinking of building a dropbox of some sort that's out of the sun and can take all of our mail, but figured I would see if anyone has done something similar and how you felt about it. Pictures would be sweet...

we're in the process of fencing the front yard off from the rest of the world so need to work out a solution for our letterbox. i've been to the main hardware chainstore here a number of times and they dont make a 'normal' letterbox with a slot big enough for LPs. i might end up building a brick unit with a cavity inside large enough for a record. i imagine the rear door would be lockable, but as the box will be on the inside of the fence, i'm not sure if the lock will be required. will let you know what we do.

I kinda dig the brick idea. I may do something like that, just for our porch that is bolted down so it can't be removed. The cool thing is we have a retired guy on one side of our house and a stay at home mother on the other and both still like us, lol. But it's still something I don't want to take chances with...

my apartment JUST put in these metal "parcel boxes" next to the normal mailboxes. it really sucks because they're not even attempting door deliveries anymore--it's straight into the box to bake in the summer heat until either my fiance or me gets the mail. not cool when we're both working all day. even leaving the package at the door would be better because my porch isn't in direct sunlight. i might leave a note in my box that packages 12x12-ish are heat sensitive.

like a big metal key drop box? The ones they have at a car dealer for when you drop your car off? This is a pretty cool idea actually. But then I again, it's sorta like an X marks the spot box. Unless you bolt that fucker to your stoop. Not a bad idea.

I tell you what would be totally awesome. Get an old post office mail drop box and bolt that shit to your stoop. Blow that dudes mind. Works just like a key drop box, only way more ironic.

my apartment JUST put in these metal "parcel boxes" next to the normal mailboxes. it really sucks because they're not even attempting door deliveries anymore--it's straight into the box to bake in the summer heat until either my fiance or me gets the mail. not cool when we're both working all day. even leaving the package at the door would be better because my porch isn't in direct sunlight. i might leave a note in my box that packages 12x12-ish are heat sensitive.

Our neighborhood is all like that. If you get a package, they put it in the box and place the key in your mailbox. If it's too big for the box, then it is delivered to your house.

I've never had any issue with records warping or anything from sitting in the box, though. Even in 110+ degree heat. I personally prefer it to the packages being left outside the door.

I saw a ton on eBay that looked promising, but most are 13" wide, total. Meaning, the slot is only ten inches wide. Can anyone link to a slot that can handle up to 13" or so? I've got a couple saved searches and would love to come across an antique style mail slot/drop for my door or hell, even the wall next to do the door.

Our neighborhood is all like that. If you get a package, they put it in the box and place the key in your mailbox. If it's too big for the box, then it is delivered to your house.

I've never had any issue with records warping or anything from sitting in the box, though. Even in 110+ degree heat. I personally prefer it to the packages being left outside the door.

thanks, that makes me feel a little better. as long as my precious vinyl isn't harmed by the heat haha.

I was driving home today and saw a guy that made a big box that says US POSTAL right on front in big letters, right in his front yard. Guessing it's a retired fella, but I'll try to sneak a picture this week sometime. A little overboard for what I was thinking, but funny I see that a couple days after starting this thread.