Best Record Shops in Seattle and Vancouver?

ummm Sonic Boom is in Toronto.

There are probably a few stores with that name. I haven't been to the Toronto one in a few years. I wonder if it's even worth checking out on my next trip up. Hits and Misses has pretty much taken over the Toronto record store game haven't they?

ummm Sonic Boom is in Toronto.

There are probably a few stores with that name. I haven't been to the Toronto one in a few years. I wonder if it's even worth checking out on my next trip up. Hits and Misses has pretty much taken over the Toronto record store game haven't they?

Hits and Misses is aptly named. Sometimes they have stuff worth buying and sometimes there's nothing but shit in there. Criminal Records is good for newer stuff, not sure what their older catalog is like as I haven't been there in about a year.

I'd say Rotate This is still the best record store in the city, which is sort of sad.

Whats the record store that has the Hendrix statue out front?

Thats the only one Ive been to in Seattle but it was decent.

The Hendrix statue is still there, but it's now an art store. The shop that was there, Everyday, is now a few blocks away.

Singles Going Steady is all punk/crust/metal/hardcore and it's down on 2nd and Bell. I can't believe I forgot about that one.

Hits and Misses is aptly named. Sometimes they have stuff worth buying and sometimes there's nothing but shit in there. Criminal Records is good for newer stuff, not sure what their older catalog is like as I haven't been there in about a year.

I'd say Rotate This is still the best record store in the city, which is sort of sad.

Not to further the derail but I was in Criminal a month or so ago and his used section is pretty minimal and comprised mostly of Madonna / Lionel Richie / Michael Jackson and Peter Frampton. I did score a Steve Earle record for 6$ there however.

What's so bad about Rotate This? I always find good shit when I'm there. Neurotica not too far down the street is pretty good as well. I was in there and found a box of 7'' including Alkaline Trio - Hell Yes and the split with the Blue Meanies - he hadn't priced them yet so he let me have them for a tenner (!).

Not to further the derail but I was in Criminal a month or so ago and his used section is pretty minimal and comprised mostly of Madonna / Lionel Richie / Michael Jackson and Peter Frampton. I did score a Steve Earle record for 6$ there however.

What's so bad about Rotate This? I always find good shit when I'm there. Neurotica not too far down the street is pretty good as well. I was in there and found a box of 7'' including Alkaline Trio - Hell Yes and the split with the Blue Meanies - he hadn't priced them yet so he let me have them for a tenner (!).

I like Rotate This. Found a euro press of the PMFS knife lp for $4 in there once. Usually walk out with a few things when I stop in.

They are much better now than they were, but when I first started going there 10 or 11 years ago, the staff were such assholes. They would literally berate you if they didn't approve of the music you were buying.

I bought El Gran Orgo and proceeded to get a 20 minute lecture from the dude behind the counter about how the band wasn't getting any money from it because the label was screwing them or some shit and I was just like, I just want this CD, chill out.

I also find they lean more towards the indie/hipster side of stuff. They were a much better place to get punk/hardcore records years ago as opposed to now. I mean the amount of awesome records I got new off the shelf there for cheap is nuts. Shape Of Punk To Come for 12 bucks, Shorter, Faster, Louder for 10 bucks, Circle Takes The Square - As The Roots Undo for 12 bucks.

I guess that could have more to do with the amount of people buying vinyl then versus now, but I have always had a bit of distaste for Rotate. I haven't bought a record there in years. In fact, I haven't even been in their new location, and they moved a LONG time ago.

I just did a weekend trip to Seattle last month. I highly recommend Jive Time for used stuff. They also have a great overstock section in the anitque mall across the street. Best $1 section ever.

Easy Street and Everyday Music are good spots. Sonic Boom was ok. Avoid Bop Street. Huge selection, but way overpriced.

I actually wrote about my trip here: danfury.tumblr.com

check this out too : dkpresents.wordpress.com/2010/05/01/supersonic-wax-a-look-inside-6-seattle-record-stores/

Is there anything on Vancouver Island? I'll be there next week.

ditch records in victoria used to be pretty great. scored so much stuff there in 1998 the first time I went. was pretty underwhelmed by the selection when i was there last may but its probably worth checking out.

where else are you visiting on the island? there are some surf shops in tofino (west coast) that sell records.

I just did a weekend trip to Seattle last month. I highly recommend Jive Time for used stuff. They also have a great overstock section in the anitque mall across the street. Best $1 section ever.

Easy Street and Everyday Music are good spots. Sonic Boom was ok. Avoid Bop Street. Huge selection, but way overpriced.

I actually wrote about my trip here: danfury.tumblr.com

check this out too : dkpresents.wordpress.com/2010/05/01/supersonic-wax-a-look-inside-6-seattle-record-stores/

Is Jive Time records good for newer stuff? Or newer used stuff?