AIM: do you still use it?

Last time I logged on was when sewbr0 convinced me to log on and talk. I was bombarded with popups from a bunch of people. I wanna log in just to see my old profile and what a fuck I was.

I'm tempted as shit to see what crap I had in my profile. Then again, I had many profiles/screennames

When I was in middle school, I'm pretty sure I had an sn for each member of Bone Thugs N Harmony, and I would go into hip hop chat rooms and taunt kids to freestyle. I always won because I would just copy and paste lyrics from random rap songs.

Let's discuss the stupid shit we did on AIM haha (or perhaps some of you still do)

I used IRC, then went to ICQ, then went to MSN, and now I solely use gchat. I guess that shows my age... All of my close friends except for a couple use gchat. I also now send short e-mails to people all the time cuz it is easier to ask a group of people the same thing than to send it out individually. I personally think facebook is a waste of time.

i was 11. my parties consisted of watching the bulls win their 5th championship in 7 years, and endless cake. still probably would have been fun to party together though, even though i never was into the power rangers.

I'm set with endless cake. and 90s Ken Griffey, Jr. (if you followed baseball after bball season ends in April)

Next fine dime brizzle I meet, I'm going to straight up ask her "hey girl, can I AIM you?"

true story: the last long-term relationship i was in started out by the guy befriending me on myspace, messaging me, and assuring me that he wasn't crazy or some psycho internet dude, followed by, 'if you wanna talk to me on AIM sometime, my screenname is crazyguyPA1'

...in retrospect, i probably should have listened to my gut on that one.

maybe i'm using it wrong...but how are you guys not terminally annoyed with facebook im/messaging whatever it's called? i always forget i'm talking to people on there and go to some different webpage. that and it takes up the whole bottom of your screen.

i rarely use it on the actual website. on a mac the program adium can handle facebook accounts then it's just a regular (read - not incredibly annoying) IM client.

maybe i'm using it wrong...but how are you guys not terminally annoyed with facebook im/messaging whatever it's called? i always forget i'm talking to people on there and go to some different webpage. that and it takes up the whole bottom of your screen.

i rarely use it on the actual website. on a mac the program adium can handle facebook accounts then it's just a regular (read - not incredibly annoying) IM client.

OOHHHHHH. yeah, i used adium before i stopped signing on altogether. i wasn't aware that you could also sign into your facebook account on there too! makes so much more sense.

I had to deactivate facebook (since you can never DELETE it) because of that -- too much to look over, especially when it would back up or whatever, and saying the message couldn't send.

We should all bring back AIM like the resurfacing of vinyl.

My first-ever AIM screenname was heisel00, then shortly thereafter I created toko2000—that was back in 1998, so I've had the same screenname since then. That said, I haven't signed into AIM in I'd say at least six months, if not longer; my old computer was running so slowly already that receiving an IM would just completely cripple it, and when I bought a new computer a while back, I never even bothered installing AIM. Plus, I really only talked to, like, two people on AIM anymore, and I've moved all of those communications to texts.

I also have a work AIM name which I used to live on all day at work, but it became waaaay too much of a distraction. I haven't signed onto that in months and months, either.

The most fun I ever remember having on AIM was in college, changing my buddy profile to contain a fake AIM convo that looked something like this:

%n: omg im so drnuk i cnat belive i told u that!

toko2000: haha, yeah, i know, i was pretty shocked myself

%n: srsly u cant tell ANYONE

Using the %n combination in your buddy profile inserted the screenname of the user viewing it in its place. So literally anyone looking at my buddy profile would think they had drunk IMed me one night and spilled some horrible secret—and after I did this, people came out of the woodwork by the dozens, some of whom I hadn't talked to in years and years, wanting to know what they said to me. It was a fun little prank.

Guest eriathomas

I have not logged since my freshman year of college I think. I tried to remember my password a few months ago to see if anyone still used it, but couldn't remember it.