P.O. smoke or fire and screeching weasel

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On first listen, I think this version sounds more like all of the other SW records. I have always thought that what made TVCD and Major Label Debut stick out is that they sounded completely different from all of the previous SW records both production wise and with a much faster, angrier sound. But I think the new production and mastering suit this record pretty well. My only complaints on first listen are that the second guitar "solos" seem to be pushed to the background where I thought that they were important to the the original versions (Speed of Mutation and We Are the Generation X in particular.) The other issue I have is that "My Own World" sounds out of place on the record. It sounds like it should've been on Ben's first solo record (which is easily the low point in his career in my opinion). But it really think that the sequencing of the new songs works well aside from "My Own World" and I usually can't stand plugging songs in between original song orders on LPs. I also think that the new artwork is unnecessary and after the amazing cover that guy did for "Tarantula" is a major disappointment. Apparently, I just reviewed this. By the way, it was on red vinyl.

I really dig the new sound of the record. It's a lot warmer. I also noticed some different vocal inflections than on the original version. I don't mind the solos being pushed back a bit and I like that there isn't an intrusive cymbal crash every half second.

I think the new sequencing works because they are all songs I was already familiar with that got added into the mix. With Riverdales - Phase 3, I had never heard those songs prior to hearing them on the record and it was jarring at first. This is more familiar and I think it works really well.

As for the cover art, I like it. I always like when artwork takes its queues from the lyrics and this one does a pretty good visual representation of burn it down. I liked the original artwork a lot, but to me it never really fit with a punk rock record, especially one as angry as TVCD.

I think the new sequencing works because they are all songs I was already familiar with that got added into the mix. With Riverdales - Phase 3, I had never heard those songs prior to hearing them on the record and it was jarring at first. This is more familiar and I think it works really well.

Totally agree.

^ I'm with hickey.

Also, Fidatevi is a great fuckin record zak, you should re-visit it...I had to do the same myself at one point.

I'm going to have too I guess but I thought that record was terriblethe first time around.

I remember downloading some of the songs (Audiogalaxy FTW) back when the album came out and I was not into it at all. After some time passed (years lol), I went back to it and I am glad I did.

I have gone back to Emo and Teen Punks in Heat, which I didn't like at all when they came out and found some redeeming value in them, but Fidatevi I still do not like. TOAB didn't stick w/ me too long either.

Last night I listened to the TVCD LPs back to back. This is prob the only remastered release I've heard where the original is actually louder than the reissue. To me the original does sound a little thin, but it also sounds a bit more aggressive than the remix. The remix is definitely warmer and more full sounding. The vocals are more in front on this mix too. I also don't mind the reorder and new tracks thrown in there at all ("Crybaby" is still one of my favorite SW songs). They all work fine for me (even "My Own World" which I prob like better in this context than on its own). I want to take the CDs and do a track by track compare, but haven't got to that yet.

This was an interesting one for me. I think I like both and wouldn't necessarily always pick one over the other to listen to.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question. For TVCD, were the red and yellow copies shipped at the same time?

I ordered the red on the first day available and the yellow as well on the first day it was available.

I received the yellow 3 days ago, but I am still waiting for the red. I heard it shipped a week before the yellow. Is this true?

I have a question. For TVCD, were the red and yellow copies shipped at the same time?

I ordered the red on the first day available and the yellow as well on the first day it was available.

I received the yellow 3 days ago, but I am still waiting for the red. I heard it shipped a week before the yellow. Is this true?

I got red and yellow at the same time. Ordered from Fat. Not the SW website.