Great Forgotten Bands of the 90's

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest genericinsight

Toad the Wet Sprocket is seriously one of my favorite alt-pop rock bands... no, fuck that, favorite bands of all time. Seems that more people remember similar bands like Third Eye Blind or Gin Blossoms when I mention them, but nobody remembers Toad. Even when I mention their hit singles, nobody seems to.

Toad the Wet Sprocket is seriously one of my favorite alt-pop rock bands... no, fuck that, favorite bands of all time. Seems that more people remember similar bands like Third Eye Blind or Gin Blossoms when I mention them, but nobody remembers Toad. Even when I mention their hit singles, nobody seems to.

fear and dulcinea were really tight albums.. i love em both

OK, so here's the question... are these actually good bands or do we only enjoy this stuff because it makes us feel nostalgiac for when we were 11 and didn't really know any better?

I don't know. I'm going through a 90's withdrawal now so this is an awesome topic. I think the 90's felt like there was a lot more promise to life. Maybe I'm in a funk and over analyzing.

Please continue with this awesome thread.

OK, so here's the question... are these actually good bands or do we only enjoy this stuff because it makes us feel nostalgiac for when we were 11 and didn't really know any better?

A little from Column A, a little from Column B.

I think the fact that the thread is about "forgotten" bands kind of skews things a bit...

Toadies were the first to pop into my head. I loved that album!

A Canadian band I listened to back in the 90's was Rusty. I actually bought their album off of iTunes a while back, good stuff! Gin Blossoms were the fucking bomb!

Yes! I was just going to post if anyone remembered Rusty. I used to love their album "fluke"

also, the band summercamp

dude, Toadies are legit. Still. I put on Rubberneck recently, it's still good, and "Tyler" is still disturbing.

I even liked their second album that came out in 2001, Hell Below/Stars Above. Though that album also did sort of come to define a night of my senior year, so that one I'm not so sure on.

Guest genericinsight

fear and dulcinea were really tight albums.. i love em both

+1 for recognizing the greatness that is Toad.

Guest genericinsight
I found myself buying pretty much any half-a-hit power-pop band back in the '90s. Anyone remember:

Dig

Plastiscene

Deathray (two ex-members of Cake!)

I'm sure I can think of more later...

I remember Dig, can't say I remember the other two though.

Dig had a single called "Believe" and did a version of the Fat Albert theme song on the Saturday Morning Cartoons compilation.