Happy Holidays vs. Merry Christmas

Okay I figured this board would bring a variety of at least semi-intellectual responses on this.

For Christians, does it bother you when strangers or employees at random stores display "Happy Holidays" signs or say "Happy Holidays" to you instead of Merry Christmas?

Other religious folks, you've been hearing Merry Christmas for years and now Ahmericuh is getting all PC and Happy Holidays is working it's way in. Does it make a difference to you either way?

I ask these things because I saw a friend post a photo of a sign hanging in wal mart that said "Merry Christmas!" With the following caption: "SO glad to see [this] instead of happy holidays!!!"

I became slightly enraged at the ignorance and intolerance suggested in that post. You guuys know I'm far from being pc but hearing that from a good friend really depressed me.

Thoughts?

I like Happy Holidays because this time of year is more then just Xmas. I consider all of it, Thanksgiving, Xmas and New Years to be "holiday time".

Also, not that it should shock anyone what so ever, but I am not religious in the slightest. I love the togetherness of family around the holidays and incorporate no religious meaning to the holidays at all.

Okay I figured this board would bring a variety of at least semi-intellectual responses on this.

Your first mistake...

Seriously though, I say Happy Holidays, but if someone says Merry Christmas to me first, I will reply the same way. In general, I don't really care about Christmas or the holidays, it's all mindless consumerism to me, but I can dig the idea of people not being dicks to each other (even if it's just temporarily) in the name of exchanging gifts.

i tell people merry xmas or happy holidays. depending on how i feel at the time. if someone gets upset. that's their problem. i personally don't give a shit. i'm being nice. no need to get upset. if someone tells me happy kwanza, i know they are greeting me and wishing me a good holiday season, no matter what it is. so i don't have a problem.

Really I don't care whether you tell me happy holidays, merry christmas, happy hanukah, happy kwanzaa what. the. fuck. EVER! the sentiment is the same- people this time of year try to spread kindness and greeting with a smiley "happy holidays!" is much nicer than a dirty sneer. It's the intent that counts and people are so full of themselves they think winter holidays are specifically built around their particular religion and everyone has to conform to that. Clearly several different cultures celebrate around this time of year and why WOULDN'T Wal-Mart, one of the biggest, greediest corporations in America, try to satisfy their client base by putting up generic holiday greeting signs?

It's bullshit. what threw me most was her implied disdain for being told "happy holidays" since she is a Christian. Like people everywhere are supposed to accommodate her and her religion. She wants to be a lawyer. She's already full of shit so she's 90% there.

edit: exactly, mike!

var ads = new Array("300x250-1.png","300x250-2.png","300x250-3.png");

var num = Math.floor(Math.random()*ads.length);

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

{

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

document.write('+':l3e0zvib]ProBoards Free Forums');

else

document.write('+':l3e0zvib]ProBoards Free Forums');

}

else

{

document.write('ProBoards Free Forums');

}

ProBoards Free Forums

Guest errolwest

you get that out of my thread. right now. you dirty. dirty boy.

please tell me you dont hate sienfeld. PLEASE?! ill never understand why people dont like this show

I don't care either way. But I know people who do. I remember my mom telling a story about how at work someone said "Merry Christmas" to her, and then she's all "That's exactly right! Merry Christmas! That's what I say!" She works at a hospital, and I guess saying Merry Christmas is frowned upon there. I just don't get how people can get so upset about it either way. There are worse things to say to a person.

Guest errolwest

please tell me you dont hate sienfeld. PLEASE?! ill never understand why people dont like this show

motherfucker, haven't we had this conversation? loll 8-)

hahaha now that i think about it... whoops.