Jack White flips records too...and then flips out

jhulud

If I'm Jack White and I don't need to make money of these releases to pay my bills, and I'm able to pay my artists for the records they sell, then I'm going to go have sex with my super model wife in a gold plated SUV and not worry about some poor bastard in Nashville selling my records on e-bay to some other dick who wants to drop $300.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i like this story.

on one hand he's exactly right about who is making all the money off these limited releases. if the market is saying a colored record is worth 500 bucks then why isnt the band/label entitled to that amount of money? why does somebody who has nothing to do with the band/label make more money than those who created it...

but on the other hand there are ways to eliminate record flipping in the first place, so there shouldnt be any complaining when it happens. forget pre-sales and posting limited edition numbers, just sell the records. you could have a run of 3500 records split 3000 black and 500 colored and just sell them as 3500 records with no option to pick color and no comments section for requests. the rare colored ones will get out to people who will appreciate them and people who buy them solely to resell on ebay won't want to take the chance. maybe its just simpler in my head though.

I like your thinking.

When The Misfits "collection 2" and "static age" LPs were initially released they were done on 3 colors and black vinyl all at the same time. None of the records were labeled so it was totally random what you'd end up getting when you bought one anywhere.

This led to a few things:

1: people opening them at the store to look inside and see

2: people buying multiple copies and hoping for all the colors or at least the rarer ones.

3: Everyone having a much more fair shot at obtaining the colored ones

It was frustrating trying to get them all and not knowing what color you'd get, but that method certainly is better than the one that you have to live in a certain city to get a copy.

This was also before ebay really exploded too which helped as flipping records wasn't a potential career to most people.

Well it looks as though all JW is giving the proceeds to several charities:

"Earlier we informed you all that we would be selling 100 each of our limited edition split colored re-issues of The White Stripes first three albums at remote locations. Here’s all the details of that sweet deal...

The records will be for sale for $50 a piece and all proceeds will go to charity.

The S/T album sale will be outside the fire station at the intersection of 'Junction' and 'Rogers' in Southwest Detroit at 10am Friday, December 3rd. Please bring exact change as the Detroit sale will be cash only. All proceeds will be donated to a restoration project at Holy Redeemer Church.

De Stijl will be sold at Da Capo Records in Utrecht, Netherlands on Friday December 10th beginning at normal store hours. Proceeds will go the local Salvation Army.

Lastly, White Blood Cells will be available from Goner Records in Memphis on December 14th starting at their regular business hours. Proceeds from this sale will be donated to The Soulsville Charter School of Memphis"

Quote from http://thirdmanrecords.com/news.html

I highly recommend watching the documentary "Under Great White Northern Lights". I developed a greater respect for The White Stripes/Jack White, and hopefully I wasn't the only one.

And obviously he "flipped" for a good cause.

listening to this record right now. And yes, the documentary rules.

I highly recommend watching the documentary "Under Great White Northern Lights". I developed a greater respect for The White Stripes/Jack White, and hopefully I wasn't the only one.

And obviously he "flipped" for a good cause.

listening to this record right now. And yes, the documentary rules.

Hell yeah man!

By the way, I find it tough to reply to you about anything because I choke up when I think about your Mylene Sheath collection hahaha...that shit rules! (also, high five on the photography...It'd be awesome to be asked by a label, for me any label, to go to SXSW and take photographs)

Seriously the easiest solution for the people who get off on rarity/value in their records, and the people who just want to own an album they love on wax.

1st press and following presses: do whatever you want with the variants, just have an unlimited press that will stay in print for as long as it's in demand. A few labels are starting to do this and I completely support it. Then both groups are happy. I'm sure this has been said before.

Seriously the easiest solution for the people who get off on rarity/value in their records, and the people who just want to own an album they love on wax.

1st press and following presses: do whatever you want with the variants, just have an unlimited press that will stay in print for as long as it's in demand. A few labels are starting to do this and I completely support it. Then both groups are happy. I'm sure this has been said before.

isn't that exactly what they're doing?

Shh! It's easier to be mad when you ignore facts and don't do research. First politics, now vinylz.

Shh! It's easier to be mad when you ignore facts and don't do research. First politics, now vinylz.

? In no way was I mad in my post...I was simply stating my opinion and also stating that I support the idea of an unlimited press. Really nowhere in the original link that was posted (http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/72265,people,entertainment,jack-white-rants-at-fan-over-rare-vinyl-ebay-auction) did it say that they have an unlimited press so I'm not sure how I would have known that after reading the article...but you're probably right because I did no further reading beyond that one article. You probably know better than me. Just don't get how people (fans) are complaining about it.

? In no way was I mad in my post...I was simply stating my opinion and also stating that I support the idea of an unlimited press. Really nowhere in the original link that was posted (http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/72265,people,entertainment,jack-white-rants-at-fan-over-rare-vinyl-ebay-auction) did it say that they have an unlimited press so I'm not sure how I would have known that after reading the article...but you're probably right because I did no further reading beyond that one article. You probably know better than me. Just don't get how people (fans) are complaining about it.

I didn't insinuate that you specifically were mad. But the whole reason that article exists and people are in outrage over 5 copies of a record being put on eBay is largely due to lack of knowledge. Had the article linked to TMR's website saying "regular deluxe editions on black 180 gram vinyl can be bought here for $20" it might have been a little more fair. But who can drive clicks and advertising with fair news.