Old magazines...what to do with 'em?

jhulud

I have stacks of old magazines (AP, Revolver, Spin, etc.) and they're just taking up space. I used to eBay the ones that I would figure would sell. Now that idea seems too much of a hassle and I don't really have the time to take pics, list them, and all that shit.

What alternative do I have besides just throwing them out? What do you guys normally do with your old magazines?

i have 10 years of the NME (New Musical Express from England) sitting in my parents' garage at the moment. it's a weekly magazine so there's like 500 issues. i don't wanna throw them out but i don't/can't make the time to drive out over there to sort through them to sell on ebay/throw them out.

Usually, I just get rid of them; give them away or put them in the recycling bid simply due to my lack of space. However, I always end up regretting this at certain points. For example, I had a couple copies of this magazine called Nothing Left from the late 90s that came with amazing comp. cds. I got rid of them,but I'd love to go back and check them out again. They had some really insane articles about bands like HWM and Mid Carson July... Anybody have any copies sitting around?

you can use them as packing material when you ship records. a few times, instead of cardboard, i've gotten packages that have a few magazines to fill the gaps. go through, save any articles you may potentially be interested in, then, when you have to ship something, use them instead of cardboard

Usually, I just get rid of them; give them away or put them in the recycling bid simply due to my lack of space. However, I always end up regretting this at certain points. For example, I had a couple copies of this magazine called Nothing Left from the late 90s that came with amazing comp. cds. I got rid of them,but I'd love to go back and check them out again. They had some really insane articles about bands like HWM and Mid Carson July... Anybody have any copies sitting around?

I remember this zine... I think it was somehow tied into No Idea, maybe? The issue I had definitely had a HWM Sinclair artwork on the cover.

I used to collect every little zine I could find -- any time my family went on vacation, I would go into any record store/coffee shop/etc. that might have free publications and grab anything I could. I have so many random ones in my basement now. I eBayed a few off a few years ago and actually, surprisingly, made a ton of money.

Guest kingbuzzo

I keep them for a while but eventually I get so many that I can't deal with them. Over the summer I gave my then-girlfriend most of my old issues of AP, SPIN and Revolver.

In the past, I have dumped a bunch of old AP's on eBay and have made a few bucks...which is what I have been looking for, to really get a little bit of cash and get them out of the house. But right now, I have a few and don't really feel like dealing with the hassle as I previously said.

I save them, thinking that it will be cool to look back on them years down the road. Not sure why I think I'd ever have time for that. And then they take up too much space and the next time I get in a bad/cleaning mood, I toss them all in the garbage. The cycle happens every few years.

That is how it works with me.

im a total packrat and keep all my old AP issues. I've managed to hold on to just about every issue from '99 to now. It's always fun to look through really old issues-

I would definitely advise if you want to get rid of them though is to donate them to the library (if they're not too old) or just recycle them.

• 2 months later...

So I started this thread ages ago...and still haven't done anything with the mags. If anyone is interested in any of these, drop me a line...A couple of bucks + shipping...I don't care...

Spin 11/07 Foo Fighters

Spin 8/07 Interpol

AP #237 Bands You Need To Know

AP #233 Say Anything (subscription-only cover)

AP #234 Jack's Mannequin (subscription-only cover)

AP #235 Paramore (subscription-only cover)

AP #227 The Academy Is...

AP #226 Saosin

Outburn #38 Shadows Fall & Poison The Well

Revolver 3/07 Hellyeah!

Revolver 1/08 Black Metal issue

Revolver 1/07 Killswitch Engage

Revolver 5/07 Megadeth and Shadows Fall; Thrash Metal issue

Revolver 10/07 Atreyu

Revolver 2/08 Dragonforce

Revolver 4/08 Gigantour: Megadeth, In Flames, etc.

Revolver 5/08 Rock The Vote: Foo Fighters, Avenged Sevenfold, etc.

Revolver 7/07 Slayer & Marilyn Manson

Revolver 8/07 Projekt Revolution

Revolver 3/08 Bullet For My Valentine

They've been read but still in great condition. Mailing labels (if any) have been taken off. I can get you pics or list you other bands featured in any issue.

If no takers, I may just toss them.

It's funny, I was thinking about this just today. I never throw mine out.

I have atleast a decade of VICE and the last 4 years or so of Big Brother, and I totally charish those collections ('cause, for my money, those are the two greatest magazines ever published).

Other ones (spin, AP, ect.) are more accumulations that I can't let go of (although lately I've been reading old AP "oral history of..." articles, so it's not entirely useless packratism).