Yikes... (NHL Throat Slashing)

mediocore

Those are my boys!!!!!

I was watching the game but then the cable crapped out towards the end of the 2nd period. Damn! I hope he gets well soon. I bet that Jokinen feels like shit...granted, it was an accident.

As soon as I saw the thread title, I thought of the movie 'Swinger' when they do the whole make Gretzky's head bleed scene while playing NHLPA 93.

Guest scriptedrain
so... why hasnt the NHL come up with something to protect these guys a little better? im not much of a hockey guy so i dunno.

I'm the first one to bash the NHL for all the ways they've gone wrong, but come on. You can't blame the NHL for this. They're on skates and on ice, things like this are going to happen. That's like blaming the NFL for the injury to Everett.

I guess it would be like a face shield...not mandatory but I betcha more players would start wearing them if they took a puck or a stick to the face...as some have in the past.

backed 100%

i never understood why after highschool the face mask comes off. like to be cool you cant have one. also with the goalie that got slashed...i thought they are supposed to wear neck protection.

so... why hasnt the NHL come up with something to protect these guys a little better? im not much of a hockey guy so i dunno.

I'm the first one to bash the NHL for all the ways they've gone wrong, but come on. You can't blame the NHL for this. They're on skates and on ice, things like this are going to happen. That's like blaming the NFL for the injury to Everett.

seriously? i didnt BLAME the nhl for anything. blame wasn't even anywhere in my original post and i dont think theyre at fault anywhere. i simply asked why the league hasnt come up with a way to protect these guys from getting their throats slashed open on the ice. its not a matter of blame. its a matter of protection from injury.

Guest scriptedrain

seriously? i didnt BLAME the nhl for anything. blame wasn't even anywhere in my original post and i dont think theyre at fault anywhere. i simply asked why the league hasnt come up with a way to protect these guys from getting their throats slashed open on the ice. its not a matter of blame. its a matter of protection from injury.

I misread into what you were saying. It still sounds like blaming them to me, but you obviously know what you were trying to say.

It's sad to say this, but this seems like one of those things where the players' comfort and look is more important than preventing a couple injuries every 10 years or however (not that) often this occurs. It was a freak accident / occurrence. I would be surprised if anything was made mandatory, or actually even just made, for the NHL. Hopefully Zednik will be back playing soon, regardless.

I misread into what you were saying. It still sounds like blaming them to me, but you obviously know what you were trying to say.

It's sad to say this, but this seems like one of those things where the players' comfort and look is more important than preventing a couple injuries every 10 years or however (not that) often this occurs. It was a freak accident / occurrence. I would be surprised if anything was made mandatory, or actually even just made, for the NHL. Hopefully Zednik will be back playing soon, regardless.

its more comfort and mobility than how they look. i doubt how they look is even a factor. But if you were to wear neck guards (which would more than likely be either thick heavy foam or plastic) it would seriously hinder the mobility of the head and in a sport like hockey, you need to be able to move your head fast. While it would be smart to put something there to protect the neck, theres just no possible way to do it and maintain the movement they do now