Ryan Adams to Re-issue "Love Is Hell" on Vinyl

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was that 10" even put out by Lost Highway or was it a Euro bootleg of sorts? I'd like a 10" but I just really want it on vinyl reguardlesd. Wasn't a big Adams fan when this came out but times change

Without a doubt, it was a legit Lost Highway U.S. release originally - catalog # B0001702. I bought it off the shelf at my local Tower Records when it came out. I sold it last summer on eBay for $162. It hurt letting it go but i've been trying to downsize my collection. Guess I'll have to buy it again!

There was a US press and a European press of Love Is Hell (I think the US only has one insert, the EU has two, and a flimsy-ish cover). These represses will be great. The Hank Williams tribute with Ryan's cover of "Lovesick Blues" will be repressed, too.

Ryan said in his Pax Am shutdown post that NONE of the Universal/LH presses were mastered for vinyl, specifically mentioning the clear Gold reissue. He says they sound like ass, but everything else sounds pretty good to me.

The back to black pressing of Gold was supposedly remastered, but I couldn't tell the difference.

good to know, thanks for the info guys. just listened to the clear and black versions of gold and I personally couldn't really tell the difference.

i also think it's kinda of funny how LH wouldn't initially release Love Is Hell and now it's one of the albums the "defies" their 10 year history. just a little humorous to me

• 1 month later...
from Lost Highway's site:

September 13th:

Ryan Adams Love Is Hell never before on vinyl**

weird that it says it was never before on vinyl.

It's not weird. Love Is Hell the album wasn't ever released on vinyl. Love Is Hell Pt. 1 & 2 Eps as 2x10" set was. Tricky lawyer-speak I know, but that's how they get ya.

I have the 10" and I love it lots. It's an album that just *feels* like it should be listened to on vinyl.

I'm looking forward to this new release of it too, hopefully it will be 2x12" and be the complete album. I like the version of "Anybody Wanna Take me Home" that's on the full album. A bit slower than the RnR version.

I know I'm just dreaming here b/c Lost Highway is TOO LAZY for something so awesome, but what would be great is if they fit the entire album on Sides A, B, C and side D, ala Side 4 on Gold, was the Love Is Hell Japan-only bonus songs like "Black Clouds" "Gimme Sunshine" and "Father's Son" which are all fantastic tracks.

from Lost Highway's site:

September 13th:

Ryan Adams Love Is Hell never before on vinyl**

weird that it says it was never before on vinyl.

It's not weird. Love Is Hell the album wasn't ever released on vinyl. Love Is Hell Pt. 1 & 2 Eps as 2x10" set was. Tricky lawyer-speak I know, but that's how they get ya.

Good call.

• 4 months later...