PO: Death Cab for Cutie - Codes & Keys

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like this better than Narrow Stairs AND....wait for it...much better than PLANS!

That's right I said it...

Something about this album...it just feels so much more complete and well thought out than their last couple. It feels more like an album and less like a bunch of songs on album like Narrow Stairs did...

This and Bon Iver, Bon Iver and going to be fighting for my AOTY spot for awhile...

^ Better than PLANS?!?!?

After Transatlanticism, nothing was as good. It took 3-4 years of listening Plans to really get the album, now some of the songs ("Brother on a Hotel Bed," "Staple Song," & "Your Heart is an Empty Room") are my favorite songs. I love Plans.

Maybe it hasn't been long enough to enjoy NARROW STAIRS, but the songs don't have the same feel; the same heart. There's a couple exceptions, of course, but as a whole, not really a great album. It's better than most modern music and as DCFC gets more mainstream, they will rise to the top with their sincere writing.

Storytellers was pretty good but I wish some of the songs that they did like "The New Year" that didn't air but are available to view on VH1.com would have made the show.

^ Better than PLANS?!?!?

After Transatlanticism, nothing was as good. It took 3-4 years of listening Plans to really get the album, now some of the songs ("Brother on a Hotel Bed," "Staple Song," & "Your Heart is an Empty Room") are my favorite songs. I love Plans.

Maybe it hasn't been long enough to enjoy NARROW STAIRS, but the songs don't have the same feel; the same heart. There's a couple exceptions, of course, but as a whole, not really a great album. It's better than most modern music and as DCFC gets more mainstream, they will rise to the top with their sincere writing.

Storytellers was pretty good but I wish some of the songs that they did like "The New Year" that didn't air but are available to view on VH1.com would have made the show.

Transatlanticism is definitely my favorite. Followed by The Photo Album...and now i think followed by Codes & Keys...

^ Better than PLANS?!?!?

Transatlanticism is definitely my favorite. Followed by The Photo Album...and now i think followed by Codes & Keys...

I think mine goes:

Transatlanticism

We Have The Facts and We're Voting Yes

Plans

Something About Airplanes

Photo Album

Narrow Stairs.

Just received this from Amazon. The box looked like it had been through a damn hurricane. No packaging materials at all. One corner is bent up somewhat otherwise ok. Would you send it back? Just seems like a big pain to do so.

thos "frustration free" boxes seem so pointless to me. I still get bent corners all the time. Like they can't be cheaper than a regular LP mailer. I feel like a company as big as amazon should realize this.

Just received this from Amazon. The box looked like it had been through a damn hurricane. No packaging materials at all. One corner is bent up somewhat otherwise ok. Would you send it back? Just seems like a big pain to do so.

thos "frustration free" boxes seem so pointless to me. I still get bent corners all the time. Like they can't be cheaper than a regular LP mailer. I feel like a company as big as amazon should realize this.

I hear you. Amazon really needs to step up to the plate and get some LP mailers for their records. I got the record on Amazon because the preorder price was like 5 dollars cheaper than anywhere else. I just sent it back. Hopefully the next one I get will look better.

Does the record play ok?

I didn't check it. I just sent it back to Amazon. I'm not paying twenty dollars for something that was bent to crap because of their packaging.

I don't recall if it was mentioned, but you can use this coupon and get the CD from Best Buy for $7.99 this week: http://flash.atlrec.com/dcfc/DCFC_BestBuyCoupon.pdf

I was going just wait to get the wax but my girl was excited to pay (or for me to pay) 7.99 for a new CD we went ahead and caved.

whats with everyone hatin' on Something About Airplanes?? That's one of my favs =\

Mine too. It was the first thing I heard of theirs back in the early 2000's. My guess is that these guys only started listening post-Photo Album or Transatlanticism and the lo-fi sound of that record doesn't sit well once you've heard the great stuff.

yeah I think you're spot on with the lo-fi thing, it can be weird going between old albums and newer ones just based on the production value. Chris Walla got his shit tighter over the years producing their stuff and it definitely shows...Also, how can You Can Play These Songs with Chords be forgotten?! Collection of demos and blah blah, but still one of their best. I love when bands can do that and have their demos/b sides be as good as their entire catalog; case and point: Alkaline Trio- Remains and Get Up Kids- Eudora