Face to Face Laugh Now... Laugh Later

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im surprised this bothers so many people

most of these people complaining have no idea how much money it costs to record, produce, have artwork created, press something...all on this level.

Shit, 10 years ago I witnessed (a band who is now massive) having a discussion with a person doing the artwork for their album and merch tie ins that they were paying like $15,000 just to do that.

$10,000 sounds perfectly reasonable if not humble for the cost of recording, producing, mastering, pressing, getting artwork for, distributing an album from an artist that is very well known. Even if the band makes off with (a likely very small) portion of the kickstarter funds its not like they're going to blow it on meaningless shit. It's expensive to be a professional musician.

$10,000 sounds perfectly reasonable if not humble for the cost of recording, producing, mastering, pressing, getting artwork for, distributing an album from an artist that is very well known. Even if the band makes off with (a likely very small) portion of the kickstarter funds its not like they're going to blow it on meaningless shit. It's expensive to be a professional musician.

This.

Especially since everyone will just download it thus negating the proper royalties to the band.

• 1 month later...

because it's probably been in the works from day one...this is the natural timeline for a record. It only really takes 2-3 months when either a)the label waits until the pre-orders bring in enough cash to pay for the whole pressing costs before the move on it or if there's a hiccup in the process, like rejected test pressings, artwork's not ready, label has no money to proceed, etc...

• 1 month later...

Definitely handled in a stupid way. It sucks that the general public has had the new material for a while and all the people who kickstarted this shit are still waiting, unless they bought the CD. Download codes should have been sent out to us weeks before the official release. No one knew the new songs when I saw them in SF. Just all around badly planned. Maybe the bad taste will go away when I get all my goods.

Definitely handled in a stupid way. It sucks that the general public has had the new material for a while and all the people who kickstarted this shit are still waiting, unless they bought the CD. Download codes should have been sent out to us weeks before the official release. No one knew the new songs when I saw them in SF. Just all around badly planned. Maybe the bad taste will go away when I get all my goods.

It wasn't the worst. Better than P+P and at lease we got updates! Plus the kickstarter package was postpaid. There are some bands who waited way longer for vinyl and its not like you can't find a download. People just aren't going to sing to the new jams anyway for whatever band it is.

I downloaded the album already but will use their download when I get it. Heres hoping for 320kps

I actually emailed them about emailing out download codes before the record came out. Of course it was blown off, but it'd have be been nice to be able to listen to it before they came through on tour, even if it was only digitally

It wasn't the worst. Better than P+P and at lease we got updates! Plus the kickstarter package was postpaid.

"Hello,

I am now in the process of shipping the reward packages. I have made an error in calculating the postage for overseas shipments. I am writing to request you send an additional $25.00 to cover postage expenses."

LOL. I asked about this on April 6th - and knew damn well this was going to happen - and got no reply. I have replied, asking him to bring the package to the local show I have tickets to on August 29th. This seems like a reasonable request to me.

Definitely the last Kickstarter I'm going to be involved in. Obviously I had to Soulseek the record just to fucking hear it.

It wasn't the worst. Better than P+P and at lease we got updates! Plus the kickstarter package was postpaid.

"Hello,

I am now in the process of shipping the reward packages. I have made an error in calculating the postage for overseas shipments. I am writing to request you send an additional $25.00 to cover postage expenses."

LOL. I asked about this on April 6th - and knew damn well this was going to happen - and got no reply. I have replied, asking him to bring the package to the local show I have tickets to on August 29th. This seems like a reasonable request to me.

Definitely the last Kickstarter I'm going to be involved in. Obviously I had to Soulseek the record just to fucking hear it.

Yeah that sucks I had a feeling you overseas people were gonna get screwed on this one. They should have thought about that in advance. And it sucked they never responded to your e-mails! What happened to all that extra money too?

Only really did this because I definitely wanted the rarest copy of the record I could get without going on ebay. Gonna be selling 2 out of my 4 records when I get it.

Got mine...

[image]

Nothing too exciting. Signed setlist and "test" pressing just in plain inner sleeve. I was hoping they would do something interesting, but nope.

[image]

Inside gatefold. Trever looks mad that they didn't supersize his happy meal.

[image]

At least they printed that this is the first edition on the back. Didn't take photos of the portfolio.

All in all fairly glad I got it. I am still wondering what the actual pressing numbers for each color are because the math was wrong on the initial numbers. ???