Car Scratches

So, my brand new car has an inch-long deep scratch in it. Has anyone ever fixed something like that yourself? Is it hard? Has anyone gone to a dealership or bodyshop? Cost? Happy with results?

I try to keep the mentality that a car is a car, so who cares what it looks like.. it's going to take rocks and whatever, but it's new and the first blemish. And it's deep, so I don't want it to rust.

dude, exactly 7 days after i got my new car, it was parked on the street while i was working. i came back to grab a bottle of water, and the driver-side rear door had a huge dent in it... like someone backed into it and took off. i was fuming for about a week, then decided after pouring so much cash into the car, it wasn't really worth it to have it cosmetically fixed. that was a year ago, and i am much less pissed.

moral of the story, as soon as you drop a load of cash to get the scratch fixed, something else is going to ding it or bump it in a week. your best bet is to give it a bath, hit it with some wax, and appreciate every other square inch that is unscathed. you might be able to find some sort of scratch filler, but i've heard they don't work so well.

http://www.amazon.com/Quixx-00070-US-Paint-Scratch-Remover/dp/B000UVUAFO this would be the cheap fix, but it seems like it's just going to band aid it. for $15, it might be worth a shot, though!

good luck, man!

In 2008, I bought a leased 2005 Nissan Altima. I got a great deal, it only had 29K miles, and I paid just under 13K.

A week after I got it, I had a scuff on the bumper. I was so mad. Since then, I have added new dents, scratches, etc none of which are my fault!

The most annoying thing is neighborhood cats. I don't hate animals, heck, my girlfriend has a cat. He's lived in my house for a year. But these people who let their shitty animals roam and scratch my car are annoying. And what can I do about it? I can't shoot it. Nor would I. But people look at you crazy if you try to get the thing off your own car. Like the cat is allowed to lay where the fuck it wants.

My car was keyed a few times and I'm getting ready to get them fixed. I filed a vandalism claim through my insurance. It's going to cost me my deductible ($500), but I'm kind of tired of looking at them. My car has a few dings and dents in -- it's what I get for living in the city. But the keying annoys me big time.

I think it's someone in my neighborhood who keyed my car, because a lot of others have been keyed. If I ever saw the person that did it I'd be pretty tempted to give them a beat down. What a cowardly bullshit thing to do to someone.

touch up paint.

you can get it to match your car's paint, probably from the dealer. someone hit my car twice in the garage i park in; the first time i had significant damage that needed fixed, but the second time they just took some of the paint off my rub strip. my dad helped me touch it up with some paint from the dealer and while i was super mad at first and thought it'd be a glaring problem, now i can hardly tell where it was touched up!

How difficult is it to touch up and not look like shit? I think I'd rather the scratch be there than a giant fuck-up of a repair job.

it depends on how big/where the scratch is.

if it's of significant size or some highly visible place, it would be a lot harder to make it less noticable. mine was on the bottom half of my car, on the rear door, so you have to bend down to even see where it had to be touched up. it was pretty noticable to me at first where it was touched up, but now i can hardly even tell where it was.

Damn sorry to hear that. I bought a new car about 4 months ago and am one of those people who aggravate anyone riding with me cause I park like a mile away from everything.

Haven't noticed or seen any scratches or dents so far, but I am dreading my first one. Note to self: I need to get out and clean it again it has been about 3 weeks.

Good luck!

I always get my wing mirrors kicked off.....it's got to the point where there's no point replacing them as it will just happen again. Until the popo stop me and tell me to change them, I ain't gonna bother. Got a load of scratches too, worst thing is I live in one of the better parts of town. Just annoys me how little respect people have for things these days

I have knocked off both of my side mirrors too.

One was not my fault. I was driving on a small-laned road, with a woman passing me on my left side. I was watching her because she was close to the line and there was a car sitting on the side of the road (to my right) that was on the street too far. BANG. I hit our mirrors. They moved their car immediately afterward and I posited to the insurance that it was illegal since they weren't holding up traffic. If there car was on the right of way, they would have been culpable. Luckily, insurance didn't go up but I would have had to pay deductible to fix.

The other side, I just knocked on a pole in drive thru. I felt stupid.

Damn sorry to hear that. I bought a new car about 4 months ago and am one of those people who aggravate anyone riding with me cause I park like a mile away from everything.

Haven't noticed or seen any scratches or dents so far, but I am dreading my first one. Note to self: I need to get out and clean it again it has been about 3 weeks.

Good luck!

I do the same thing. I mean I know it's just a car and these things will happen but when I go to a store I park in the back, mostly because the thought of getting a dent or scratch because some idiot doesn't know how to park, or is careless would drive me insane. Rather not take the chance and walk the extra hundred feet.

what kind of dealership did you buy it at?

the one i worked at- the owner would be more than happy to take care of something like that, because honestly, it hardly takes any labor.

my moms car got scuffed up real bad by a rogue shopping cart, and our detail guy took care of it in about 15 minutes.

a deep scratch will require more work than a scuff, but its still one of those car repairs thats way more costly than it needs to be.