PO: Portugal The Man In The Mountain, In The Cloud

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and people tend to discredit american ghetto because it's just pretty much john. but as i've said in the past that is how ptm very first started out pre-waiter was john & some beats.

yea, and that stuff is pretty unlistenable. american ghetto was weak. will be spinning this when i get home and get some kush in my system.

I LOVE Portugal. The Man. Been following the band since Anatomy Of A Ghost, really. I've enjoyed everything they've ever done, but I can't say that they've done something "OMFG" amazing for me since Church Mouth.

In The Mountain In The Cloud is great, I can honestly say that I love it. I just wish they'd spend a little more time between releases and let the music develop more. Experiment. That's what I loved about the first two records. It sounded like they did everything they could to flesh out the songs and make them the best that they could possibly be.

It seems to me that they are trying to push the "we are the hardest working band in our scene" thing to the absolute extreme and the music is suffering for it.

so finally gave a proper listen. i definitely like it more then AG already. i can say right away the last 4 songs make that record. they feel so much different than the rest of the record, tho i do like it, there's more color to those 4. i think i like 'all your light' the most. def heard riffs ripped from Yes and the Kinks. im down with that.

Now that it's been out for more than week, how's everyone feel about it? Same? Different? I find I'm warming up to it a lot more than I was initially. And I agree with struckanerve, "All Your Light" is one of the best cuts.

I fucking love "All Your Light". I love the album now, but the first listen was a bit eh.

I think what I'm not digging about them lately is that there are no real riffs anymore that require a dynamic drum line for accompaniment. Its very strumming chords and basic rhythms and they always did much cooler things than that and I guess that classic style of song writing just leaves me feeling lackluster about their newer releases. Waiter has so many more interesting forms of song composition and really feels like a "new" music type where the latest few albums have felt like they've taken a step back to more traditional and comparatively boring song composition style. CC had a little bit more of that traditional song comp. quality but the songs content-wise were so solid that they stood up despite the arrangement route they went on them.

Now that it's been out for more than week, how's everyone feel about it? Same? Different? I find I'm warming up to it a lot more than I was initially. And I agree with struckanerve, "All Your Light" is one of the best cuts.

Love it! it's like a love child of Satanic Satanist and American Ghetto....which just so happen to be my favorite albums.

• 8 months later...