Brand New - Your Favorite Weapon

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For selling a record he paid to license because kids are willing to pay ridiculous prices?

Yeah that's against the law. Everyone gets mad at the person/label but the people are the ones clicking buy it now and he's just laughing to the bank.

Well I saw earlier that record companies might be licensed to only press a certain amount, I doubt all those copies could be from the original pressing?

Anyone know what website(s) the record was available when it was first released? Did it sell a lot?

Wow.

Talk about shady. Can anything legal be done about this? Could those label companies be held responsible?

LOL! He got jokes & jokes & jokes.

For one, I don't think Vique works for No Sleep. She does work for Rev, but Rev has nothing to do with these records.

And who/how are you going to hold them responsible? Who is going to hold everyone responsible for all the records that are pressed & never sold. I'd bet that these records were forgotten about because no one gave a shit about them when they were first pressed. If this is Iodine (or Vique with Iodine's blessing) selling the records, maybe they are trying to recoup all the money they invested in the label. Bunch of babies getting their panties in a twist because they were born too late or didn't care in 2002.

EDIT: Also, do people realize this record was pressed in late 2002 & the label folded in 2003? No way this thing sold 1000 copies before they closed. These are legit copies.

This is messed up, how can you sell a record for 10 times the price? I mean profit for them, but if they are normal, understanding people they wouldn't do this. Why don't they just repress it officially so everyone can buy it? A 2000 press makes a lot of money too.

Also, Someone should tell Jesse from Brand New about this.

You Europeans obviously have no clue how things work in the US. It's all about the money, and who you can fuck over to get the money.

Truth.

Random enough i have a few friends who are friends with her... looking into seeing if one them can get 1 off of her for a whole lot cheaper.. haha

Random enough i have a few friends who are friends with her... looking into seeing if one them can get 1 off of her for a whole lot cheaper.. haha

I talk to Vique from Rev all the time for work related stuff. So she owns Iodine or what?

I talk to Vique from Rev all the time for work related stuff. So she owns Iodine or what?

From all of us here at VC, tell her to go fuck herself.

From all of us here at VC, tell her to go fuck herself.

Vique is awesome. Selling this record for $150 isnt that awesome but if people werent buying it they probably wouldnt be selling it for that much. Not backing this record being sold for $150, just sayin.

I don't think she owns Iodine

I dont think so either. It looks like Iodine was based in Boston but was distributed by Revelation. I wonder if Revelation got screwed over by Iodine or something and kept these records to make some money back they may have lost due to working with Idoine? I really have no idea, its the only thing I can think of.

you guys are quick to hate, but i see the sale threads on here. when the vast majority of you have a record that's worth a lot, you expect to get a lot out of it. maybe not as much as ebay, but you don't like 'lowball' offers. i don't think any of you on here would sell a rare record that fetches several hundred dollars for cost.

that being said, $150 is steep, and i don't necessarily agree with it, but the market dictates the price.

i don't think any of you on here would sell a rare record that fetches several hundred dollars for cost.

i think this is where the ethical issue exists. i don't think anyone would argue about trying to fetch a fair price for a rare record, and reasonably so. i think the issue is that the label that pressed the record led the public to believe there were a very limited amount of these records left, so they were going to sell them at $150 a piece, which is a fair price is the whole pressing is sold out (in the public's hands), and a few copies surface. but this seems like it's turning out to be a significant chunk of that pressing that was never made available to the public.

think of it like gasoline. someone controls all the gas that gets pumped into your car, and in the past 4 years has jacked the price up more than 200%. sure, the market dictates price, and if people are spending $4 a gallon in jersey, why not charge $4.05. no one is going to stop buying gas because the prices continue to rise, so the price is going to keep rising. and even though i continue to buy gas, i reserve the right to curse the nameless, faceless shithead that is rolling and smoking my hard earned money.

moral of the story, stop buying the record. or write a petition or something. maybe a letter to your congressman. power to the people.

At the time, I didn't know they had a couple of hundred copies of the album available, but I bought a copy for my girlfriend. It's her favourite album by her favourite band, and I could afford to pay that much. It seemed a little cheaper than the others that had come up over the past while, so I jumped at it.

It was bought as a gift for someone who will cherish it and play it time after time. The fact there is the opportunity for a lot of other die hard fans to get their holy grail is an opportunity that doesn't come up too often, and knowing more people now have copies in their collection doesn't cheapen the fact that I got to see my girl grinning from ear to ear when she opened the mailer.

i don't think any of you on here would sell a rare record that fetches several hundred dollars for cost.

i think this is where the ethical issue exists. i don't think anyone would argue about trying to fetch a fair price for a rare record, and reasonably so. i think the issue is that the label that pressed the record led the public to believe there were a very limited amount of these records left, so they were going to sell them at $150 a piece, which is a fair price is the whole pressing is sold out (in the public's hands), and a few copies surface. but this seems like it's turning out to be a significant chunk of that pressing that was never made available to the public.

think of it like gasoline. someone controls all the gas that gets pumped into your car, and in the past 4 years has jacked the price up more than 200%. sure, the market dictates price, and if people are spending $4 a gallon in jersey, why not charge $4.05. no one is going to stop buying gas because the prices continue to rise, so the price is going to keep rising. and even though i continue to buy gas, i reserve the right to curse the nameless, faceless shithead that is rolling and smoking my hard earned money.

moral of the story, stop buying the record. or write a petition or something. maybe a letter to your congressman. power to the people.

people actually do stop buying gas when the prices get too high. well, not stop alltogether, but they purchase less.

also in terms of commodities like gasoline, capitalism, for the most part (in theory) takes care of price gouging. like i said, in theory.

Actually this is a semi-poor example of capitalism in action. Capitalism works well for the consumer only if competition exists. For these records there is not any competition and so we get one person deciding their own price and being successful because of supply and demand. Gas is an entirely separate argument because even though many different companies supply the gas to the consumer they prices aren't really controlled by competition. Additionally, many people see gas as a necessity that they must have regardless of price although I suspect that the gas companies are beginning to see that they are approaching the limit of what people are willing to play.

There's 172 "your favorite weapon"s in DF tradelists but I'm not going to count how many are in people's wants instead. If someone is less lazy than me, feel free to count them (especially white's).

Thinking about it more, I suspect this is legit. As mentioned, records didn't sell well back in 2002 (neither did BN) and the label went defunct in 03. Someone would've had to have taken the unsold YFW's if there were some and it's not much of a stretch to assume it could be a couple hundred. And Vique obviously worked for/was in charge of Iodine Records.

And yeah, such a high price is shit but it's not ACTUALLY the label selling them technically. It's one person making some money on ebay.

The only thing I see wrong here is that they are misrepresenting themselves slightly since the label is defunct. Calling themselves Iodine when they don't exist anymore is a bit sketchy.

Also, YFW is their worst album. Daisy rules. Fuck the haters. :P