RIP Ryan Dunn

The dude is dead. He will never get to do anything again, ever. That's a big fucking deal, for anyone, and with little exception, being disrespectful, celebrating, or making light of their death is nothing but shortsighted and downright ignorant.

Here's what I was mentioning, if I wasn't clear.

I have news for you... we all die. Eventually, none of us will be able to feel the warm sun on our faces or jerk off in the shower or whatever.

Allison is not being disrespectful to life by saying, "if do stupid things and you bring about your own demise I don't feel bad for you." Doing stupid things that bring about your own demise is being disrespectful to life.

If you do a bunch of drugs and die, I don't feel bad for you.

If you get AIDS from fucking a lot of people, I don't feel bad for you.

If you get cancer from smoking, I don't feel bad for you.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And oh yeah...here's something to chew on...

Would this thread have gone a different direction or level of discussion if the person who died and (may or may not have been) drinking & driving had been a regular joe-schmo and not some celebrity?

Discuss...

Related: Would your opinion on the Allison/Pibbals argument be any different if their opinions were switched?

Not at all. I'd still post non-sensical pictures and argue...

I have news for you... we all die. Eventually, none of us will be able to feel the warm sun on our faces or jerk off in the shower or whatever.

Allison is not being disrespectful to life by saying, "if do stupid things and you bring about your own demise I don't feel bad for you." Doing stupid things that bring about your own demise is being disrespectful to life.

And this about sums it up for me...

Here's what I was mentioning, if I wasn't clear.

I don't agree with this sentiment. There are a variety of drugs, most of which i don't use, that are very unlikely to kill you, and AIDS is something that can be passed unknowingly, even from your first partner. But in reference to Ryan Dunn, it may have been a poor decision to drive at that speed, but I still find it very unfortunate that someone lost their life due to a mistake(however often they make them) and I disagree with someone saying otherwise.

I guess the question is whether it was a "mistake" or not. He lived a lifestyle that put him at an incredible risk. Had he been rear-ended at a traffic light and somehow died, I think he'd get more sympathy from people here. But driving 110 or so mph in a sports car on roads not designed for that type of performance, coupled with alcohol consumption (whether above the legal limit or not, alcohol can impair drivers) isn't really a mistake. It's a conscious decision to live a certain lifestyle and die while living it.

speaking of lung cancer, a nurse in her early late 30s/early 40s that worked at my mom's school had been a smoker her entire life. she was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer this year and recently died.

if someone, especially a nurse, partakes in an activity daily that is known to cause cancer, then (surprise, surprise!) gets cancer, i do not feel bad for that person. you know the risk when you engage in any behavior, and if one of the probable outcomes is death, then i do not feel bad if you die.

i surely felt awful for her 10 year old son and the rest of her family, because they didn't have control over her actions and choices, but she willingly made a gamble with her life and lost and i cannot feel bad for her. that was her own educated choice.

It's poor judgement, so I'd call it a mistake. He did live a lifestyle which put him at risk, but if had been told yo, there is a 100% chance you will die if you get in your car tonight, and was somehow given undeniable proof of that, I think he would've avoided his car for the night. His lifestyle was risky, yes, but I don't think he would've purposefully killed himself, so i'd call it a mistake, and still find it unfortunate, his fault or not.

I don't agree with this sentiment. There are a variety of drugs, most of which i don't use, that are very unlikely to kill you, and AIDS is something that can be passed unknowingly, even from your first partner. But in reference to Ryan Dunn, it may have been a poor decision to drive at that speed, but I still find it very unfortunate that someone lost their life due to a mistake(however often they make them) and I disagree with someone saying otherwise.

I can't even find the words to tell you how fucking retarded you are.

This whole back-and-forth reminded me of this article I saw this morning:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/roger-ebert-angers-bam-margera-and-jackass-fans-wi,57851/

In short: Just because you have an opinion on something doesn't mean you need to share it with everyone, especially when it's a high-emotion situation such as this. Rational (if misguided) thought is commonly mistaken for callousness because of this.

speaking of lung cancer, a nurse in her early late 30s/early 40s that worked at my mom's school had been a smoker her entire life. she was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer this year and recently died.

if someone, especially a nurse, partakes in an activity daily that is known to cause cancer, then (surprise, surprise!) gets cancer, i do not feel bad for that person. you know the risk when you engage in any behavior, and if one of the probable outcomes is death, then i do not feel bad if you die.

i surely felt awful for her 10 year old son and the rest of her family, because they didn't have control over her actions and choices, but she willingly made a gamble with her life and lost and i cannot feel bad for her. that was her own educated choice.

Diet soda, microwavable dinners, and artificial sweeteners have also been linked to cancer, among other things including smog. I don't see your point here. I used to smoke and if I got cancer, or if any of my friends who smoke got cancer, I would still be bummed out for them.

I can't even find the words to tell you how fucking retarded you are.

If you can find words, let me know, until then I'm not really going to give you any more of my attention on this topic, if you don't mind.

Diet soda, microwavable dinners, and artificial sweeteners have also been linked to cancer, among other things including smog. I don't see your point here. I used to smoke and if I got cancer, or if any of my friends who smoke got cancer, I would still be bummed out for them.

i'm more and more flabbergasted with every post you make.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/roger-ebert-angers-bam-margera-and-jackass-fans-wi,57851/

In short: Just because you have an opinion on something doesn't mean you need to share it with everyone, especially when it's a high-emotion situation such as this. Rational (if misguided) thought is commonly mistaken for callousness because of this.

If people can't share their opinions than we should shut down the internet and make it read-only for research purposes.

Decisions that are made can lead to death or cancer, or a whole bunch of other unfortunate things. Just because a decision was made doesn't mean the result of it can't be unfortunate. Someone I know broke their finger and was told not to play saxophone until it healed or it heal crooked. This got in the way of an audition, she played anyway, and her finger healed wrong and she has chronic pain in it. Just because she knew the consequences doesn't mean the consequences aren't unfortunate.(I know smoking and other things mentioned in this topic have more far reaching outcomes, but it was the first thing that came to mind and I felt it helped illustrate what I'm saying, at least partially.)

I'm not saying things shouldn't have consequences, but choices that aren't outright malicious having consequences as far reaching as death is an unfortunate reality in my opinion and the consensus here seems to be that it's not unfortunate.

If people can't share their opinions than we should shut down the internet and make it read-only for research purposes.

Completely agreed.

I understand exactly what your saying, however I think there are some stuff that should be kept to themselves especially if it has to do with the death of a human being.

Decisions that are made can lead to death or cancer, or a whole bunch of other unfortunate things. Just because a decision was made doesn't mean the result of it can't be unfortunate. Someone I know broke their finger and was told not to play saxophone until it healed or it heal crooked. This got in the way of an audition, she played anyway, and her finger healed wrong and she has chronic pain in it. Just because she knew the consequences doesn't mean the consequences aren't unfortunate.(I know smoking and other things mentioned in this topic have more far reaching outcomes, but it was the first thing that came to mind and I felt it helped illustrate what I'm saying, at least partially.)

I'm not saying things shouldn't have consequences, but choices that aren't outright malicious having consequences as far reaching as death is an unfortunate reality in my opinion and the consensus here seems to be that it's not unfortunate.

everyone has come to the consensus that death as a whole sucks.

thinking something sucks and feeling sorry for someone are two vastly different things.

I am all for people sharing their opinions, but I think that article should be thought more of in social situations outside of the internet, like if you were with Dunn's friends or family in this case. One of the best things about the internet is that it's free of the situations like not being able to say your true thoughts because you want to preserve relationships of the people in the room.

I am all for people sharing their opinions, but I think that article should be thought more of in social situations outside of the internet, like if you were with Dunn's friends or family in this case. One of the best things about the internet is that it's free of the situations like not being able to say your true thoughts because you want to preserve relationships of the people in the room.

I suppose, but it was catalyzed by tweets from Roger Ebert...so the Internet plays a massive role. It's not like Roger Ebert called up Bam and laughed at him because his friend died in a terrifically stupid fashion.

...like not being able to say your true thoughts because you want to preserve relationships of the people in the room.

faggot.

this is a silly, but interesting point.

i'm not like most people i guess.

i am a really nice guy, and i do care about other peoples feelings, but i am also very honest, and i refuse to lie or twist how i feel about something to make someone else feel better.

lies from me are a rare thing, and even rarer that i lie to impress.

(not saying i don't, it's just rare).

the only time i ever find it appropriate to lie is to keep a secret safe / cover my own ass.

in the case of this.

he was drunk and doing 110 on the highway.

i do not feel sorry for him at all, but i do feel sorry for his family.

that being said, i would still tell his family that it was his own stupid fault and they shouldn't misinterprit what happened as a "sign" or "fate" or "it was his time / gods plan" etc.

he was just a stupid drunk, and that was hillarious, and he got paid big bucks for it.

/rant.

I think the Roger Ebert tweet is a little different from comments made on a message board, seeing as he doesn't afford himself quite the level of anonymity that we are afforded on this board(even though a number of the people on this board hang out with each other), and he depends on his reputation, online or otherwise, in order to make money.