The Fall of Troy- Doppelgänger(few test preses ava

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SPOILER ALERT: it's inevitable that the next problem will be indeed the test pressings he will be selling. guess what you don't HAVE to buy them

Speaking of which, if anyone has a copy of the first pressing they are looking to unload i would trade a test pressing for a copy

SPOILER ALERT: it's inevitable that the next problem will be indeed the test pressings he will be selling. guess what you don't HAVE to buy them

Speaking of which, if anyone has a copy of the first pressing they are looking to unload i would trade a test pressing for a copy

hit this dude up he might be interested

http://vinylcollective.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=64273

any other stuff you want to clue us in on enjoytheride ? :) you've already revealed two titles one more won't hurt... even a hint !

Here's a hint... The next will be a repress of a late 90's or early 00's major label (or equivalent) band, with multiple Pirates Press color(ways) with a large test pressing run. If you want a lyric sheet it will only be available if you buy a 3 of the same record on three different colors (package deal).

Get stoked!

I guess there is a lot of purism when it comes to the commerce of vinyl. Its understandable in a way but we have to remember that commerce in general is very different today than it was even ten years ago. Some things (not just vinyl but things in general) simply aren't available in brick and mortar stores these days. Or they are but they're cheaper on the internet. The world has changed and is constantly changing and while I'm all for the preservation of the physical record store, some business simply cannot be sustainably done in all the many ways that different groups of people prefer. If it wasn't for the internet and its subsequent machinations, some of these releases that we like so much and want to exist so we can own simply wouldn't be possible. Hell, some bands that we love might not have made their name as well as they have were it not for the internet. There are obvious pros and cons. On the one hand, I don't think nitpicking at every minute aspect of a person's/company's business model is necessarily a productive endeavor and on the other hand, I think a healthy level of dissent is necessary to at least keep the provocation of thought alive and well.

That said, I can't really take a stand one way or the other on this disagreement but I do think that picking on enjoytheride for all the small details of his releases is getting a little old. People want this record and obviously, no other labels were as willing or as ready to do it. He's taking a risk with every release more so than the label which owns the rights to this release. So he managed to sell the bulk of his press to other stores for them to carry. If they were physical stores or simply physical stores that are NOT Hot Topic, would certain parties still be complaining?

I do feel that the abnormally high number of test presses is a bit absurd but again, no one is forcing anyone to buy them and I will say that the 3-pack exclusive color on the RX Bandits release was a bit of a gouge. Either way, these releases are in demand and being made by someone where no one else managed to get them out. I'm glad this record is being re-pressed and I enjoy my black copy of Progress.

If this thing turns out to have the shittiest jacket in the world and sounds like pure balls then by all means bitch about the price. I don't think this is such a high price for a single LP and if you're so aghast by the price, don't buy it. I'm sure most people here have gladly paid that amount for a single LP in the past. Of course I'd like it better if it were $12 or $10 but keep in mind this is being licensed by what is essentially a DIY label. There are labels like ORG who get bad ass single LP's re-pressed and charge upwards of $25 to $30. I'm glad this is coming out and I'm not made of money. I'll still gladly pay the price to get it. Maybe I'll even grab it at a physical HT to bypass the shipping cost. I know not everybody has a HT close to them but hey, the Glassjaw HT exclusives are on clearance right now. Maybe this one will make it to clearance eventually.

Of course I'd like it better if it were $12 or $10 but keep in mind this is being licensed by what is essentially a DIY label.

Lololol at DIY.

up to this point every one of my releases have been packed in my basement. This was a big jump for us as a company to be able to make a retail exclusive color and go from smaller runs of 500 to 1500 so keep hating but obviously its the same few people that have all the negative stuff to say

well lets see i look at it like this. i paid 17.64 for this.

it came in the other day (out of town now but i will recall) and was 180gr, gatefold, single lp, full color like 8 or 10 page insert booklet, jacket was on that material that isnt glossy but like paper, nice sleeve on the record (the subpop white sleeve i have seen before).

it was 17.64 with no shipping (or included however you wanna look at it) or tax or anything.

have NO idea about this record other than the amount who is carrying and it is 140gr. i could care less really just throwing out an observation but i completely understood when it came in why it was 17 bucks with shipping.

now i have to say i agree with the comments about little risk cmon it is not rocket science to realize (and congrats to him seriously) that he already has 1000 lined up and sold, literally a big pre-order, that in all reality (hopefully) has probably covered his costs and broke even or even in the green. thus if he sales any copies of his 500 (which not sure if 300 are ev who already snagged that amount) then he made money by just lining it up. not much risk involved in my opinion.

anyway my observations.

He's taking a risk with every release more so than the label which owns the rights to this release. So he managed to sell the bulk of his press to other stores for them to carry.

He taking a risk? Since when is selling 1000 copies upfront for a pressing of 1500 copies a risk?

I guess I wasn't clear. The endeavor itself was an investment risk inherently. The selling of the 1000 copies is a way to divert some of the potential for loss. Big deal.

Please explain why "DIY" is laughable. It was my understanding that ETR Records was essentially a one man operation (maybe 2 or 3, can't be certain at this ponit) or at least it was the last time it was described to me.

Who gives a shit? If you want the record you'll pay cause you enjoy it. 17 before shipping is an average price for any record now really. He isn't taking a risk cause this will sell out. If you think its unfair don't buy it and keep bitching........cause it really makes a difference in his eyes that a few people out of the 1,500 that will buy it, wont. He's gotta live like all of us here, he's just doing what works.

it's not DIY because he outsources majority of the work. he uses pirates press and licenses most of his releases so he doesnt have to pay for the recording process or for promotion. also doesnt have to worry about distribution or consignment loss with these licensed releases because he has sold all of them in his free storenvy store up until now.

the most DIY he does is sliding the records in the jackets and packaging them for shipping.