Shoe inserts

For a while now I've had foot and calf pain when I stand for a while (tonight I was only at the bar for 3 hours and my feet feel awful). I've tried a few different styles of dr scholl's for plantar fasciitis as recommended by my doctor. They seem to work great for a few days, but then the pain returns. Anyone have similar problems, and try inserts that work? Right now I have an old pair of Samba's, so that may be the problem since they are flat and offer no cushion or arch support.

I have literally no arch. My whole foot just barely curves but is other wise flat. I've tried a ton of inserts and built in arch support shoes for a long time and most are useless within a couple weeks. I recently started using Dr Scholl's Big and Tall work inserts. I got a good 4-6 months out of them and just bought a new pair to replace them soon. They might make your arch ache a little for the first few days, maybe longer, but that is worth the trade off for not having my ankles feel like they're falling apart. I'm also on my feet a lot as a bartender so if that isn't the case for you they should hold up way longer.

Im on my feet all day and they always hurt after a long day. It's not an insert but I actually found a cream that I put on and it takes away a good part of the pain. It's just a menthol based cream that I actually bought from a co worker who sells Avon stuff. After like 5 minutes my foot feels really warm but I tend to use it at night and the feeling helps me sleep when normally the pain keeps me awake.

I haven't tried them myself but a guy at work got inserts from a store in town that only sells these inserts. They are like $400 a pair which is pretty pricey but they have lasted him ten years and he swears by them. If I had that extra change I would totally grab them.

Have you tried superfeet? And the trick is to get the right pair and ease into them, not wear them immediately. They have an orange color which acts like a comfort insole with support built correctly into it, and you are supposed to wear it for an hour or so the first day, 2 or so the next, and so on, until your foot gets used to it. If you haven't been wearing insoles before, your feet are not used to the support and thus throwing an insole in there will make it feel good for a little bit, and then your foot will become irritated.

I've read a few good reviews on superfeet. I was looking at the green before since it offers a bit more arch support, but the orange might be good.

I've read a few good reviews on superfeet. I was looking at the green before since it offers a bit more arch support, but the orange might be good.

the orange is, essentially, the green but with a comfort bubble in the middle and a foam padding on the forefoot... They made the orange due to the fact that you are supposed to remove the stock insole from your shoe and replace it with a superfeet, but people claimed it made the shoe less "padded" so they added padding.

I'm on my feet for minimum of 8hrs a day Mon-Sat. What's my secret? Doc Martens and copious amounts of chewing tobacco lol

I tried to wear boots a few months after I was told I had plantar fasciitis, and it was pretty much instant pain. My feet hurt for like 3 days straight afterwards too. I have not had a chew in probably a year or two, shit made my teeth and gums hurt all the time.

I think I'll go grab a set of the superfeet orange's this weekend, and probably a new pair of sambas (or maybe branch out) since mine are about 3 years old now.

I have the flattest feet on the face of the earth. Honestly. I have an inverse arch. My heels and toes are actually higher up than where my arch is supposed to be. It's a real thing. Look it up.

I tried the Dr. Scholl's stuff for a while, then my doctor said I should go to a podiatrist, and they'd get me inserts that were actually made for my feet. Best. Decision. Ever. They stick your feet in this foam stuff that makes a cast of your foot, then build the inserts around where you need the most support and whatnot. It takes a couple days to break them in, so you're supposed to ease into them, but after that they're amazing. And they last five years. I was able to play volleyball on my high school team, with no foot/ankle pain whatsoever.

Get them now, thank me later.

i'd get something asap.. when you're on your feet a lot without good support there is a myriad of things that can happen. i did't bother getting new footwear when my feet started hurting and now i have achilles tendonitis on my left foot. good times.

I'm really not on my feet a lot, but when I am it's for long periods of time. I suppose the fact I sit on my ass all day makes me feet more sensitive since they are not used as much.

I've thought about going to a podiatrist, but I hear the inserts they make are super expensive.

i'd get something asap.. when you're on your feet a lot without good support there is a myriad of things that can happen. i did't bother getting new footwear when my feet started hurting and now i have achilles tendonitis on my left foot. good times.

I'm really not on my feet a lot, but when I am it's for long periods of time. I suppose the fact I sit on my ass all day makes me feet more sensitive since they are not used as much.

I've thought about going to a podiatrist, but I hear the inserts they make are super expensive.

yeah, they are. you can probably go to a running store and someone there might be able to recommend some good footwear or insoles. usually good insoles might cost you about $40 tops. i hear the foot doctors are far more expensive. once my friend went to one to get something for his planters wart.

i have flat feet. If i dont use some type of arch support my knees will hurt so bad it's difficult to walk. When i was a kid you could go to the shoe store and they would glue "cookies" into the arch area of the shoe. The "cookies" were rubber wedges that added extra arch support. These became more difficult to find as real shoe stores disappeared. I then bought the off the shelf arch supports or cushiony inserts, which weren't very good. About 7 years ago, i broke down and went to a physical therapist and had customs arch support made - it was one of the smartest things i have ever done. It's like walking on sunshine. I may get a little sore in the arches if i am walking all day, but that's very rarely. I can not live without them. They were expensive, ~$400, but worth it and my insurance covered most of the cost. My first pair lasted several years and i am now on my 2nd set. highly recommended if you have flat feet.

I have the flattest feet on the face of the earth. Honestly. I have an inverse arch. My heels and toes are actually higher up than where my arch is supposed to be. It's a real thing. Look it up.

I tried the Dr. Scholl's stuff for a while, then my doctor said I should go to a podiatrist, and they'd get me inserts that were actually made for my feet. Best. Decision. Ever. They stick your feet in this foam stuff that makes a cast of your foot, then build the inserts around where you need the most support and whatnot. It takes a couple days to break them in, so you're supposed to ease into them, but after that they're amazing. And they last five years. I was able to play volleyball on my high school team, with no foot/ankle pain whatsoever.

Get them now, thank me later.

this man speaks the truth. Now they use a flatbed scanner and image your feet. My first ones were made from plaster casts.

i know it's pricey, but if you can manage to get a pair of real custom orthodics it will be the best choice you've ever made. since i've had mine, i have no more pain in my feet, legs or back- even standing for hours on end at a show. my posture had improved so much and i dont get blisters or calluses from walking poorly anymore.

My dad's friend is a podiatrist, so maybe I'll go see him about custom inserts, or at least see if he knows of anywhere I can go to get some made and have my insurance cover part of cost.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far guys and gals!

Just spend two twelve hour days at Disneyland (for my first time) with nothing but Vans and some shitty insoles. Towards the end of the day I could barely walk anymore the pain was so bad.

Next time I go to any theme park I'll definitely wear more appropriate foot wear. Vans were probably the worst decision I could have made for shoes.

I'll never understand how people wear shoes like vans ( not all vans) or chuck taylors. I don't think I would take Chuck taylors for free and Vans are only good for a few hours at most. Slip ons are ok if you wear them for like 2 hours. Anything else and you're asking for trouble.