Enough with the abbreviations etc...

hickey

I'd like to propose that we stop using abbreviations and what not when referring to bands or albums and spell the whole thing out. Also, I'd like to suggest that instead of just referring to just an album title, can you say who it's by (unless the thread is devoted to said band or album). I'm constantly reading this board and have to go look up records to find out what the hell someone is talking about. People on this board are into all kinds of music. if someone isn't into hardcore or a certain type of punk, they may not know what MLIW - MIA means. In another thread someone mentioned an album called "The Room's Too Cold," I have no idea who that album is by (after looking it up I know now). I just think it will be a lot easier.

Feel free to boo this idea, but I have a feeling we all might be missing out on some great records if we can't crack the secret code.

Ok, I'm off to listen to some JHCATFHOTA

I'd like to propose that we stop using abbreviations and what not when referring to bands or albums and spell the whole thing out. Also, I'd like to suggest that instead of just referring to just an album title, can you say who it's by (unless the thread is devoted to said band or album). I'm constantly reading this board and have to go look up records to find out what the hell someone is talking about. People on this board are into all kinds of music. if someone isn't into hardcore or a certain type of punk, they may not know what MLIW - MIA means. In another thread someone mentioned an album called "The Room's Too Cold," I have no idea who that album is by (after looking it up I know now). I just think it will be a lot easier.

Feel free to boo this idea, but I have a feeling we all might be missing out on some great records if we can't crack the secret code.

Backed.

Guest scriptedrain

From the guy who said "enough with the abbreviations etc.." ;)

- Jeff

- Jeff

PWN'D!

not to be a total ass, but who cares really? if i dont know what the abbreviation is then chances are i dont care what the record is anyways...

but what if you should care? i mean you don't know you care until someone suggests something...

i just think its flat out silly that people take the time to create rules we're all supposed to follow on a message board. "ok guys, no ones allowed to use abbreviations anymore!" i just get a slight chuckle out of the fact that as oppose to discussing records, were talking about how we should talk about records. not to mention, not everyone's gonna be gettin' this memo.

not that i really care, the next time im feeling lazy or cant fit something into a subject line ill be abbreviating and im sure i wont be the only one. thats the internet for ya. just sayin.

but what if you should care? i mean you don't know you care until someone suggests something...

i just think its flat out silly that people take the time to create rules we're all supposed to follow on a message board. "ok guys, no ones allowed to use abbreviations anymore!" i just get a slight chuckle out of the fact that as oppose to discussing records, were talking about how we should talk about records. not to mention, not everyone's gonna be gettin' this memo.

not that i really care, the next time im feeling lazy or cant fit something into a subject line ill be abbreviating and im sure i wont be the only one. thats the internet for ya. just sayin.

Nobody is imposing any rules, its just a suggestion... and its a pretty good one at that. You might not go and look up every single album/band mentioned on this site, but if the conversation about a specific artist/record sounds intriguing, its good to have all the info so you can look it up.

- Jeff

I hope everyone knows what "etc..." means, plus, it has nothing to do with bands or albums...but nice pickup nonetheless.

so...what's "JHCATFHOTA"?

I have a friend that does that all the time in IM conversations, every time I have no idea who or what he's talking about.

It's this band I heard once called: Jesus H. Christ And The Four Horsemen Of The Apocalypse...it was the longest band name I could think of.

Guest falloutcollapse
I care less about the abreviations than about the PWN thing. Man that kills me. I mean litteraly

i hate when kids say it out loud, like on xbox live. "DUDE I JUST RAPED YOU HAHAHA I'M SO LEET HAHAHA I POWNED YOU SO BAD!!"

Guest scriptedrain

- Jeff

I hope everyone knows what "etc..." means, plus, it has nothing to do with bands or albums...but nice pickup nonetheless.

I know, I was just busting your balls. I read the title and then the message and couldn't help but say something.

I'm all for spelling things out in subjects, initial messages, and stuff like that, but when you get deep into a topic, I don't mind abbreviations. I will admit that the MLIW - MIA pissed me off too and I often find myself saying "WTF?" when reading about a lot of obscure / metal bands. I don't want to impose a rule or be a nazi about it, though. It's definitely a good idea from a courtesy point of view.

- Jeff