NHL PLayoffs

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the help Pitt. We need two of the three following for Buffalo to sneak into the playoffs (given that they win out their last two games):

A) Boston gets no more points. Fucking Devils couldn't win in regulation.

B) Philly gets 1 point, max, in their remaining two games.

C) Washington gets 1 point max in their last two games.

C is never going to happen, so Boston and Philly need to lose out.

if malkin hadn't stepped up, the pens wouldn't be in the playoffs right now, let alone #1 in the east. he averaged about 2 ppg since sid went out. ovechkin shoots the puck more than anyone in the league. the guy is a puck hog. i'd rather have 2 great playmaking centers anyday. ovie has nearly 100 more shots than the next closest guy. malkin has 171 less, while he has a shooting % of .174. ovie has only a .145. give malkin as many shots as ovie, and he'd be pushing 80 goals. geno and sid both make everyone around them better when they're playing. in my opinion, ovie doesn't.

Well Ovechkin is a winger, not a center. His job is to shoot the puck. Look down Washington's roster and tell me who you'd rather have shooting on that team than Ovechkin? Sure Malkin was amazing when Sid wasn't there but he's shrunk somewhat, until last night, when Sid is around. Sykora, Conklin, and Gonchar also did their part without Sid. One could argue Conklin had as much to do with the Pens' success as Malkin did. I just don't think it was all Malkin but it was most certainly all Ovechkin in Washington. As for the playoffs, the fact that Washington is still in the hunt and will be until the last second of their last game means that argument is a moot one for me. I was in the Malkin camp until Jones and Engblom made some quite compelling arguments for Ovechkin. I just think he's the MVP now. You can't argue with 63 goals and a guy who's basically carried his team in to contention.

Totally slept on this thread!!! Bruins fan here, as you can probably tell by my name. We're hanging in there. Big night tonight in hockey in the East:

New York Islanders vs. New York Rangers

Washington vs. Tampa Bay

Toronto vs. Ottawa

Montreal vs. Buffalo

All I care about is that no matter what happens tonight, the Bruins remain in 7th as we have the tie breaker if anyone ties us (Washington). It's definitely starting to get intense though, I can't remember a season, and I've been watching hockey since I was really young, where the last few games can mean the difference between 4th and out of the playoffs. It's very exciting. Go Bruins!

Big Penguins fan here...but I have to say that I will also be rooting for the Capitals in that I think it is good for the league for Ovechkin to do well, be on the highlights, be interviewed, etc. Crosby is awesome but he just is not the character that Ovechkin is, and speaking as an American hockey fan, the NHL needs positive, passionate characters like Ovechkin to be able to compete against the other sports in this country.

That being said, Go Pens. I think they have a window of 2-3 years before they have to start dismantling the team, and their trade deadline deals for Hossa and Gill showed they are serious about going for it this year. Barring any injuries between now and then, I think they are a lock for the conference finals at least.

when i was in new york i saw my first nhl game! gangers vs. kings! and it was great! but here in switzerland, the vibe during the game is much better!

Can't judge based on one game but the vibe is different, from what I saw during the game in London, much more like a football (soccer) game.