national georgraphic inside straight edge

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do you think this will be only around SLC/Reno? Is it even BAD there anymore? in the 90's it sucked, but you (or at least I) never hear of edge violence anymore and with the spread of the message boards, there is no way it would not be heard about in this day and age.

i watched the last one about the new american skinhead movement, and while they were talking about all the labels/bands that are involved they were showing shots from inside a studio of some crappy HC band play.

luckly the singer was wearing a hoodie that said "STRAIGHT EDGE" on the front really big.

glad to know that now 70% of american will link skinheads and straight edge just from that shot.

it was the first thing i thought of when i saw vinyljunkies post. Its actually the first thing i think of when a 16 year old tells me/would tell me they are straight edge. I have alot of respect for people (who are over 21 and can legally do the things they abstain from) who are, dont get me wrong, its just not for me

Guest genericinsight
26 (27 in a few months) and edge

[slightly edited to match me]

I disagree with the whole "teenagers/kids under 21 can't be straight edge" logic but I'm not interested in arguing or debating the point. It's just how I feel.

16 and edge.

here's how i see it. yeah i'm just following the law, but think about it. i go to high school in an upper-middle class neighborhood (i'm one of the poorer kids) where its considered cool to steal parents' vicoden and to snort cocaine. and its the same as every other high school where over half the kids smoke pot and almost everyone will drink at parties. so i may be following the law, but i'm making a choice not to do what would be normally expected of me. and that's the big point of straight edge, making the conscious choice.

+ $.02

i dunno. i think its cool for kids to think about stuff like that, and to abstain from the drugs/drinking when they are 16 or whatever, but i sort of see it as the 4th graders in D.A.R.E. class. yeah there may be some 4th graders smoking weed, but come on. most of the stoners i know graduated dare in elementary too. some of them still have the shirts.

its one thing to not go out of your way to really try to do that stuff, but its another thing when your over 21 and most everyone thinks their idea of a fun time is hanging out at a bar, and suddenly NOT drinking is way in the minority.

i dunno. i think its cool for kids to think about stuff like that, and to abstain from the drugs/drinking when they are 16 or whatever, but i sort of see it as the 4th graders in D.A.R.E. class. yeah there may be some 4th graders smoking weed, but come on. most of the stoners i know graduated dare in elementary too. some of them still have the shirts.

its one thing to not go out of your way to really try to do that stuff, but its another thing when your over 21 and most everyone thinks their idea of a fun time is hanging out at a bar, and suddenly NOT drinking is way in the minority.

(before i start let me say i'm in no way trying to argue, just discuss)

i see how you can think of it like that. but not drinking IS way in the minority now. it's no exaggeration to say that the VAST majority of kids in high school (especially juniors and seniors) either drink a lot or have no qualms about doing so if the opportunity comes up. and i don't think you can compare fourth graders to high schoolers on the decision to drink or smoke. in fourth grade drinking is in the minority, not abstaining from it.

i mean i dont really take straight edge too too seriously. even i think hard-liners with shirts saying "kill your local drug dealer" are assholes. but i do think there's merit to being straight edge even before you turn 21.