national georgraphic inside straight edge

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest genericinsight
i dunno. i think its cool for kids to think about stuff like that, and to abstain from the drugs/drinking when they are 16 or whatever, but i sort of see it as the 4th graders in D.A.R.E. class. yeah there may be some 4th graders smoking weed, but come on. most of the stoners i know graduated dare in elementary too. some of them still have the shirts.

its one thing to not go out of your way to really try to do that stuff, but its another thing when your over 21 and most everyone thinks their idea of a fun time is hanging out at a bar, and suddenly NOT drinking is way in the minority.

(before i start let me say i'm in no way trying to argue, just discuss)

i see how you can think of it like that. but not drinking IS way in the minority now. it's no exaggeration to say that the VAST majority of kids in high school (especially juniors and seniors) either drink a lot or have no qualms about doing so if the opportunity comes up. and i don't think you can compare fourth graders to high schoolers on the decision to drink or smoke. in fourth grade drinking is in the minority, not abstaining from it.

i mean i dont really take straight edge too too seriously. even i think hard-liners with shirts saying "kill your local drug dealer" are assholes. but i do think there's merit to being straight edge even before you turn 21.

I'm gonna agree cause I definitely remember being in high school, there was way more pressure to drink and smoke then there is now. I mean, it could go either way, but as you get older people seem to mature in the sense that they respect that you don't want to it. At least from my experience. As a kid I used to meet other kids who didn't believe me when I said I didn't drink because they assumed every teenager did.

It must come down to where one grew up. I know that in the two high schools that I went to, there wasn't much of any pressure to drink or smoke. I never encountered any of the peer pressure shit that I'd hear about. Sure, I rolled with the skateboarders and was involved in the local hardcore/punk scene...but even then, I never really saw straight-edge kids being as in your face as they are now.

Weird.

Guest genericinsight
It must come down to where one grew up. I know that in the two high schools that I went to, there wasn't much of any pressure to drink or smoke. I never encountered any of the peer pressure shit that I'd hear about. Sure, I rolled with the skateboarders and was involved in the local hardcore/punk scene...but even then, I never really saw straight-edge kids being as in your face as they are now.

Weird.

this is also true, but I've found that for the most part, consumption of hard illegal drugs (anything other than marijuana) seems to be higher in the teenage population in the suburbs rather than within a city. All the people I know that grew up in NYC (like myself) and were never edge, the most they've ever done is gotten ridiculously drunk and/or smoked a lot of weed, as opposed to people I know that either grew up in the suburbs or went to college in a small town. Again, I could be wrong, but this is just what I've noticed.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest genericinsight

since this was brought back up, would anyone who IS edge be interested in filling out a survey I put together for a documentary/sociological study I'm doing on the topic? I realize there's a bunch of these already in existence but I'm working on one of my own. I could always use more feedback, if you want to fill out the survey PM me with your email and I'll shoot it over.

i saw some band member wears tee shirt says 'sxe is not cool anymore'.

that's so ridiculour and i never think sxe is cool althrough i'm in it too....

though i have not yet seen it, that sounds like an old earth crisis shirt where the front read "sXe isnt cool anymore..." and the back of the shirt read "Because you sold out" I remeber them selling them on tour around 1999...

Guest genericinsight
10PM what time zone ?

eastern time so it'd be on at 7pm your time.

I'm sick and not having my radio show tonight so I might watch this just for curiosity's sake.

Age 21, Straight edge, as is my 21-year-old girlfriend.

I like the values that I hold. I drank once when I was 17 (football team tradition) and I absolutely hated the taste of beer. Nowadays the only thing that sucks is I have to tell my friends "I don't drink" when they wanna go have a beer.

I think it's alot easier not to drink when your significant other. I'd say my girlfriend is more "edge" then me. Then again, who knows what I'll think about drinking 10 years down the road.