SAVE CRIMINAL RECORDS ATLANTA!

not sure if this thread should go here or not so move it to the everything else thread if need be...

criminal records have been going through financial turmoil for a while and now its getting close to the make it or break it point. the store (its moved a couple of times but still the same name and staff) is twenty years old and does a ton for the atlanta community! it will be super sad if they go. please check out their site and buy a record or if you are in the area stop in and buy something. they have records, cds, comics, books, magazines, dvds, ete. all obscure for the most part. PLEASE HELP!

http://criminalatl.com/Home

Was just about to post this.

http://www.ajc.com/business/criminal-records-owner-plans-1160071.html

Hopefully someone will come through. I know manchester orchestra already offered to do a live at criminal something. Maybe Mastodon will do something. I think R. Land is going to do a tshirt.

Given rumors of a resurgence of vinyl, independent record stores, and a possible increase in the mainstream's appreciation for the idea of slowing down and "escaping" into music (physical copies, album artwork, related collecting, etc.) as we once did in the golden age of music retail, I've been recently considering opening an independent store of my own. No major ambitions, just enough to maintain the current lifestyle for the family afforded by a corporate job.

After hearing about the dire predicament of Criminal Records last week, I can't make up my mind on whether or not this is all a big pipe dream.

Anyone close to the situation with more info on the nature of the hot water? Creative Loafing is reporting this is trouble from debt he built up for over 20 years, which would likely mean he expanded into coffee precisely when he shouldn't have and basically just over-extended for too long on credit.

Given rumors of a resurgence of vinyl, independent record stores, and a possible increase in the mainstream's appreciation for the idea of slowing down and "escaping" into music (physical copies, album artwork, related collecting, etc.) as we once did in the golden age of music retail, I've been recently considering opening an independent store of my own. No major ambitions, just enough to maintain the current lifestyle for the family afforded by a corporate job.

After hearing about the dire predicament of Criminal Records last week, I can't make up my mind on whether or not this is all a big pipe dream.

Anyone close to the situation with more info on the nature of the hot water? Creative Loafing is reporting this is trouble from debt he built up for over 20 years, which would likely mean he expanded into coffee precisely when he shouldn't have and basically just over-extended for too long on credit.

You need to watch that DVD first : http://www.ineedthatrecord.com

It's about the survival/death of record stores. A very good watch.

The reports are that he hasn't been paying his taxes and owes about $150,000 to the IRS - or at least that's what I've heard. Haven't had a chance to read the article. The biggest problem I see with Criminal is just that their space is too big. They'd be fine in the 2,500 sq ft place they used to be in or even a little bigger, but 6,000 sq feet is unnecessary

You need to watch that DVD first : http://www.ineedthatrecord.com

It's about the survival/death of record stores. A very good watch.

Hey, thanks a lot for the recommendation. I'll definitely check this out!

The reports are that he hasn't been paying his taxes and owes about $150,000 to the IRS

Criminal Records LOL

The name actually came because he had originally called the store Secret Service and got arrested for it so a newspaper jokingly said what's he gonna call it next? Criminal Records? And it stuck...