Major Labels and Variants

Today's announcement that Gaslight Anthem signed to Mercury Records got me thinking about how this would impact their vinyl output.

Do bands that sign to majors tend to put out fewer variants for a given release? Are they less likely to put out variants that are limited to a fairly small number? I haven't been collecting vinyl for very long so I realize this may seem like a fairly stupid question.

Today's announcement that Gaslight Anthem signed to Mercury Records got me thinking about how this would impact their vinyl output.

Do bands that sign to majors tend to put out fewer variants for a given release? Are they less likely to put out variants that are limited to a fairly small number? I haven't been collecting vinyl for very long so I realize this may seem like a fairly stupid question.

I doubt there will be as many variants for Gaslight going forward but I guess its possible.

Majors generally want a much bigger buy in for an exclusive color than an indie label would require. Majors also generally dont press more than 1 or 2 colors of vinyl for albums when they arent giving multiple retailers their own exclusive color.

I doubt there will be as many variants for Gaslight going forward but I guess its possible.

Majors generally want a much bigger buy in for an exclusive color than an indie label would require. Majors also generally dont press more than 1 or 2 colors of vinyl for albums when they arent giving multiple retailers their own exclusive color.

ugh really? i still don't understand the concept of variants.. these are god damn records people! you know ones for listening! these aren't baseball cards that are meant to sit in a goddamn box for 20 years... you variant collectors are the reason people who want to simply enjoy music are paying top dollar for an album they want to listen to on vinyl

ugh really? i still don't understand the concept of variants.. these are god damn records people! you know ones for listening! these aren't baseball cards that are meant to sit in a goddamn box for 20 years... you variant collectors are the reason people who want to simply enjoy music are paying top dollar for an album they want to listen to on vinyl

probably the vast majority of ding dongs on this board.

I lol'd because I am 5.

Also, if you're a collector of a band and a major label will provide a larger pressing of smaller variants - doesn't that make your life and account balance a little happier?

I would think if you truly enjoyed collecting variants, you would want many of them to track down.

I understand wanting to collect variants. But I will never understand collecting them, then complaining because there are too many to collect.

probably the vast majority of ding dongs on this board.

I lol'd because I am 5.

Also, if you're a collector of a band and a major label will provide a larger pressing of smaller variants - doesn't that make your life and account balance a little happier?

I would think if you truly enjoyed collecting variants, you would want many of them to track down.

I understand wanting to collect variants. But I will never understand collecting them, then complaining because there are too many to collect.

When an album is pressed on yellow I actually like hearing the yellow. Just sayin.