Vinyl SoundScan totals for 2011 are in

from http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/industry/record-labels/soundscan-s-year-end-charts-the-numbers-1005793352.story

"As for vinyl albums, that format scanned nearly 4 million units, up from 2.8 million units in 2010."

I can't wait for more "vinylz is back!!!!!11" stories from local TV news stations in 2012.

In all seriousness, though, I wonder how large this number would actually be if all of these small indie labels reported to SoundScan (i.e. Run For Cover, No Sleep, Mightier Than Sword, Paper + Plastick, etc.). The local pressing plant in Cleveland, Gotta Groove, is currently pressing around 10,000 records a week—someone's gotta be buying them!

By that number, GG is pressing half a million units a year - someone needs to factor these guys (smaller indies like you said) for sure. Do Dischord, Touch and Go, Matador, etc report their numbers? Almost positive that even smaller labels like In The Red, Hozac Records and Sacred Bones don't...

By that number, GG is pressing half a million units a year - someone needs to factor these guys (smaller indies like you said) for sure. Do Dischord, Touch and Go, Matador, etc report their numbers? Almost positive that even smaller labels like In The Red, Hozac Records and Sacred Bones don't...

Its up to the company selling the record to report it to Soundscan. Hot Topic reports all sales to Soundscan but it has to have a UPC to be reported to Soundscan and a lot of smaller labels dont put UPC's on vinyl.

They just started hitting that 10k/week number a few months ago, but they've only been in business for a shade over two years (and in that time they've pressed over a half-million records).

Also, I doubt this SoundScan number factors in anything like 7-inches, because most bigger labels either don't do those at all or treat them as promotional (and therefore, don't barcode them or sell them retail). I'm assuming that 4 million number is LPs only.

Those news reports come around every year around record store day it seems. I have an article from the Chicago Times that I saved from back in 2007 that had a huge list of shops (a third of them or more now closed) that were/are active at the time/now. It was a great article and spanned a couple of pages so I held onto it.