Kids Music Recommendations

ya, i think the extent of tv for my kid right now is sesame street. i don't even know what channel yo gabba gabba is on. i was interested in it because of the guests they've had. i think i recall lucero was supposed to be doing one of the live shows or something like that earlier this summer but they had to cancel.

i've noticed a lot of kids stuff is a trip. as long as it isn't straight up stupid like sponge bob or annoying like cat in the hat (i hate martin short), i'll let her watch it.

I fucked up a bit - I was playing Acme for my son at a young age when my wife came home. She lectured me into submission about aural development and she was right about my choice that day. I'm just now getting into other stuff. My kid though sings along with kids music. As to my stuff he likes music with an up beat and lots of instruments: Pogues, Specials, Toots etc. I was playing that new Gates record the other day and he was digging it so I have hope that a transition is coming.

Thanks for all the great recommendations. I'm hitting my local shop this weekend to grab a couple of these to supplement what I already have.

var ads = new Array("300x250-1.png","300x250-2.png","300x250-3.png");

var num = Math.floor(Math.random()*ads.length);

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

{

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

document.write('+':pwt89mpx]ProBoards Free Forums');

else

document.write('+':pwt89mpx]ProBoards Free Forums');

}

else

{

document.write('ProBoards Free Forums');

}

ProBoards Free Forums

my kids absolutely LOVE the beatles.

sgt peppers specifically, but also revolver and magical mystery tour.

they also really enjoy the help and yellow submarine movies as well.

also, my 4 and 6 year olds thinks the modest mouse - good news album is the best thing ever.

my wife and i gave them a cd player for their room for christmas and i've slowly been donating my old cds to their collection if they find them interesting.

my six year old just discovered flaming lips - yoshimi and thinks its great.

she also listened to cures - disintegration in it's entirety, alone one afternoon, and after it ended she came out of her room and told me it made her feel sad.

my kids absolutely LOVE the beatles.

sgt peppers specifically, but also revolver and magical mystery tour.

they also really enjoy the help and yellow submarine movies as well.

also, my 4 and 6 year olds thinks the modest mouse - good news album is the best thing ever.

my wife and i gave them a cd player for their room for christmas and i've slowly been donating my old cds to their collection if they find them interesting.

my six year old just discovered flaming lips - yoshimi and thinks its great.

she also listened to cures - disintegration in it's entirety, alone one afternoon, and after it ended she came out of her room and told me it made her feel sad.

You sound like a kickass dad.

My dad made me a mix tape when I was six-months old (November of '92). Had Beatles on it, Smoking Popes, Replacements, Ramones, Redd Kross, Young Fresh Fellows, Link Wray, Tommy Roe, Kinks, and a bunch of other cool stuff. I still have the tape, and still play it every once in a while. To me, it's the most valuable thing out of any music I have.

Keep it up, dude. They'll appreciate it so much some day.

i do try.

i was raised by a die hard christian grandmother who was very restrictive of my music, so it took me a second to catch on back in the 80s and early 90s. i remember keeping my tapes, cds and magazines a big secret until one day i purchased a wall sized ad for the misfits bullet 7". when she saw jfks giant head exploding she literally started to cry. after that tshirts, posters and cds started mysteriously disappearing from my room.

my kids aren't going to be sheltered from anything that i don't feel is a legitimately immoral.

my kids aren't going to be sheltered from anything that i don't feel is a legitimately immoral.

This is awesome.

My Dad had it the same. He also played bass in bands, and wanted to try it out as a career, but my grandparents wouldn't have it. He never got a chance - became an English major instead. He made sure that never happened with me. I started playing in bands with him when I was 10.

I'm so thankful I had cool parents. My boss at the record store I work at has an 8-year-old daughter named B who knows a SHIT-ton about vinyl. On-par with me. Knows which Beatles wrote which songs, who sang each vocal part. It's insane. She's at the shop a ton of the time.