so my wife brought home a puppy.

A lot of shelter dogs just need love, time and training. We adopted our dog and he was a psycho dog for months. He scared the shit out of me one day because he basically attacked my boyfriend. The previous family had kept him tied to a tree since one of their children had brittle bone syndrome. We spent a lot of time training him and he's the best dog I've ever had now. He listens to commands: sit, lay, roll over, speak. He still has slight anxiety when people leave, but still best dog ever. And he's a purebred AKC registered lab.

[image]

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my friend recently bought a dog.. a maltese poodle named martin. hes just a little ball of energy and totally lovable.

and now im super jealous, because i really cant wait to own a puppy. but the responsible adult in me knows that im not nearly enough of a responsible adult to do that yet.

For once, I will say I agree with Allison. About pretty much everything. Adopting should be your first option and if you do decide to buy, hopefully it will be from a registered breeder. If it is from an AKC breeder then neutering will be part of the contract you signed. That also kills your idea about studding him (thankfully) because you clearly don't know jack shit about breeding. Neutering him as soon as he's old enough will be the key to keeping him well behaved and stopping him from peeing on things. My dog was neutered ASAP and never damaged anything or sprayed. As someone else already mentioned, crate training will be your best friend if you start NOW. Google it.

I crate trained my dogs and they were fine, both were mutts and both were strays. After about 5 months, those bitches wouldn't eat till i told them too. they would walk without a leash, and shook hands, rolled over, and never barked unless someone was near a door or window. they were rot/shepherd mix and well behaved. Miss those ladies. At least i have visitation rights.

here are the two i live with now: (they are the roommates but i still play with them and feed them)

ella and daisy mae

[image]

[image]

/\ those dogs are awesome!

we got a fenced in area for wicket today, and he got his first vet visit.

crate training has begun, and he will get his balls chopped off in about 3 months.

so yeah, no breeding.

he's a good boy though, and pees outside more often than any inside accidents he's had.

so far so good.

Here's a few links that you might find helpful, duder. The dudes name is Dr. Ian Dunbar, and his training info is super awesome! These are links to his 2 books for freeeeeeeeee...

Before you get your puppy:

http://www.dogstardaily.com/files/BEFORE%20You%20Get%20Your%20Puppy.pdf

After you get your puppy:

http://www.dogstardaily.com/files/AFTER%20You%20Get%20Your%20Puppy.pdf

My wife is a crazy dog lady, and this guys positive reinforcement research has been proven, unlike Ceaser Milan or Brad Pattison. Those guys are a couple of dog hitting douche sacs.

Here's a few links that you might find helpful, duder. The dudes name is Dr. Ian Dunbar, and his training info is super awesome! These are links to his 2 books for freeeeeeeeee...

Before you get your puppy:

http://www.dogstardaily.com/files/BEFORE%20You%20Get%20Your%20Puppy.pdf

After you get your puppy:

http://www.dogstardaily.com/files/AFTER%20You%20Get%20Your%20Puppy.pdf

My wife is a crazy dog lady, and this guys positive reinforcement research has been proven, unlike Ceaser Milan or Brad Pattison. Those guys are a couple of dog hitting douche sacs.

read some of the after book. seems really helpful. and it's pdf so i can put it on my wifes nook and get my learn on.

My dog is almost 2. Got him at 10 weeks

Used to always close the door to the record room when he was young. I would go in the room with him and when he would go near them, I would just say no.

He ate a BORIS record one day and I just screamed and yelled. He has never gone near records again

Although every once and a while he will grab the toilet paper and run with it until the roll is finished. That actually cracks me upp

For once, I will say I agree with Allison. About pretty much everything. Adopting should be your first option and if you do decide to buy, hopefully it will be from a registered breeder. If it is from an AKC breeder then neutering will be part of the contract you signed. That also kills your idea about studding him (thankfully) because you clearly don't know jack shit about breeding. Neutering him as soon as he's old enough will be the key to keeping him well behaved and stopping him from peeing on things. My dog was neutered ASAP and never damaged anything or sprayed. As someone else already mentioned, crate training will be your best friend if you start NOW. Google it.

i have marked this day down on my calendar.

[image]