so my wife brought home a puppy.

not like a stray or nothin'.

she payed $800 for this damn thing.

it's a pure bred, short haired maltese.

he's cute, but i've had mail male dogs in the past and from what i remember it usually ends in everything i love getting covered in piss at some point in time.

talkin' bout records.

folks with dogs, how do you keep your stuff safe?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tiny dogs are the worst. so sorry, my dude.

you need to train your lady right and tell her to adopt, not buy!

Thats right, that way you have no history of the dog and it can just go apeshit on you for no reason some day.

Basically, just keep the records out of reach of the dog. Dont leave them on the floor or out and about. They dont normally fuck with shit thats on a shelf.

Baby gate in the doorway to your record room (if there is one, of course).

sadly no, they are in the living room right next to the entertainment center.

we live in a small apartment right now, but will (hopefully/finally) be getting our first home in the next month or two.

if this happens, i plan on turing a room into a record/video game style nerd cave.

Thats right, that way you have no history of the dog and it can just go apeshit on you for no reason some day.

Basically, just keep the records out of reach of the dog. Dont leave them on the floor or out and about. They dont normally fuck with shit thats on a shelf.

and also i agree with this guy.

brand damn new puppy = clean slate.

our last experience with animal adoption ended in getting a horribly disobedient beagle, who drug the trash out in the living room, destroyed stuffed animals, etc.

plus having all the papers directly from the breeder is a nice thing.

we can breed him/show him/etc.

$$$$.

i have literally never heard of this happening to anyone i know that's adopted a shelter dog, or one from a rescue.

also, if you insist upon/want a specific breed, there are many breed specific rescues to choose from. most of the time, people buy a dog and have no idea what they're getting themselves in to and wind up surrendering it to a shelter or rescue.

Sean my man! I'm going to also going to echo what Allison said and say that adopting is the way! We foster dogs (6 in the past year and a half) for www.arfontario.com and 5 have been puppies. My set-up is in the basement, so we bought a used babygate to keep them out of there.

Trouble is, our most recent foster (George Michael) has learned to climb the gate. We even put the dog crate in front of the gate, and he climbs that too. Our cat hangs out down there, and GM seems to think that they're best buddies.

What about putting mailers in the front of the records for the time being? It wont look pretty, but it'll save your rekkids.

Baby gate in the doorway to your record room (if there is one, of course).

we live in a small apartment right now, but will (hopefully/finally) be getting our first home in the next month or two.

if this happens, i plan on turing a room into a record/video game style nerd cave.

our last experience with animal adoption ended in getting a horribly disobedient beagle, who drug the trash out in the living room, destroyed stuffed animals, etc.

$$$$.

so....you didn't properly train your last dog, but you got another one for a 'clean slate'? if a dog is disobedient, 95% of the time, it's the owners fault, not the dogs.

every dog is trainable, some just take more work than others and a lot of people aren't willing to put the time or effort into it.

and no offense, but i facepalm every time someone says they got a purebred dog and can breed it to make money now.

Sean my man! I'm going to echo what Allison said and say that adopting is the way! We foster dogs (6 in the past year and a half) and 5 have been puppies. My set-up is in the basement, so we bought a used babygate to keep them out of there.

Trouble is, our most recent foster (George Michael) has learned to climb the gate. We even put the dog crate in front of the gate, and he climbs that too. Our cat hangs out down there, and GM seems to think that they're best buddies.

What about putting mailers in the front of the records for the time being? It wont look pretty, but it'll save your rekkids.

ahahaha so glad the dogs name is george michael.

my friends have a lab named maeby. they say most of the time no one gets it when they tell people what her name is.

Sean my man! I'm going to echo what Allison said and say that adopting is the way! We foster dogs (6 in the past year and a half) and 5 have been puppies. My set-up is in the basement, so we bought a used babygate to keep them out of there.

ahahaha so glad the dogs name is george michael.

my friends have a lab named maeby. they say most of the time no one gets it when they tell people what her name is.

We didn't name him, but he's cute as hell. Sadly, our last foster, Kepy, didn't work out. He was guarding the door when our dog came in, and he finally attacked him. We had to swap Kepi with GM from another foster home.

I have had and heard many horror stories involving shelter dogs. The idea behind it is incredibly great, but you need to know the history of the dog you are getting. I've had dogs pin me to the corner ready to attack because they were afraid of males when we were told they hated females. Had a dog that had been beaten before so any time a hand was raised ( im talking a high five, hand shake, grabbing something off a shelf) and the dog would attack and start biting at you. Ive seen dogs that were bait dogs in fighting rings be so sweet, and then just snap and start attacking everything in sight.

I have had and heard many horror stories involving shelter dogs. The idea behind it is incredibly great, but you need to know the history of the dog you are getting. I've had dogs pin me to the corner ready to attack because they were afraid of males when we were told they hated females. Had a dog that had been beaten before so any time a hand was raised ( im talking a high five, hand shake, grabbing something off a shelf) and the dog would attack and start biting at you. Ive seen dogs that were bait dogs in fighting rings be so sweet, and then just snap and start attacking everything in sight.

The good thing about ARF Ontario is that they rescue the dog, and then the dog gets placed into foster care. The dogs don't get adopted out until any and all issues come to light. Things may crop up, but that can happen with any dog.

then the shelter those dogs came from wasn't properly temperment testing them before they placed them in a home.

however, most rescues don't deal with dogs that had been abused; more often than not, people just decided they didn't have the time or resources to own a dog and gave it up.

i again reiterate that i have never had a personal experience like you have, nor have i heard of anyone i know having one like that. my sister has rescued two greyhounds and they are the greatest dogs. my best friend's girlfriend volunteers at a shelter in inner city philly and fosters pits from there all the time. i'd say that what you're talking about is the exception rather than the rule.

altough i haven't run into this my wife and i adopted a dog that was attacked by another dog and almost killed.

we have taken the dog to classes and she is fine with our older dog but we can't take her on walks becuase she goes crazy around new dogs.

anyone know how to remedy that? we have tried taking her to my sisters who has two dogs and she still goes crazy. our neighbors on all sides have at least one dog and we tried taking her to meet one of them and she was fine at first and then she went crazy again. not sure if this action stems from what happened to her earlier but we want to be able to go for a walk and include the dogs.

altough i haven't run into this my wife and i adopted a dog that was attacked by another dog and almost killed.

we have taken the dog to classes and she is fine with our older dog but we can't take her on walks becuase she goes crazy around new dogs.

anyone know how to remedy that? we have tried taking her to my sisters who has two dogs and she still goes crazy. our neighbors on all sides have at least one dog and we tried taking her to meet one of them and she was fine at first and then she went crazy again. not sure if this action stems from what happened to her earlier but we want to be able to go for a walk and include the dogs.

i saw a couple dogs like this on 'it's me or the dog' in the past. i don't have any personal experience with it, but on there they suggested that you make the dog sit and praise it and distract/reward it with treats when another dog walks by. obviously it's not an easy thing to correct, but over the course of the show i was blown away by the way the dogs started behaving.

these two books were really helpful with my ex's dog:

http://www.amazon.com/Its-Me-Dog-Have-Perfect/dp/1401308554/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327506549&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Divine-Canine-Monk....7506579&sr= 1-2

I honestly feel that regardless if you buy a dog, get one from a litter, or adopt one from a shelter it is all about the owner. Milled dogs could be stupid, diseased, and have other genetic predispositions due to inbreeding which means they could flip out too. A shelter dog could have been abused. In the end, you gotta take time to train your dog although I feel a lot of people I know that buy dogs for absurd $$$$ often tend to coddle the shit out of it or neglect it. In other words just because someone may buy a dog doesn't make it a toy.

$$$$.

so....you didn't properly train your last dog, but you got another one for a 'clean slate'? if a dog is disobedient, 95% of the time, it's the owners fault, not the dogs.

every dog is trainable, some just take more work than others and a lot of people aren't willing to put the time or effort into it.

and no offense, but i facepalm every time someone says they got a purebred dog and can breed it to make money now.

EXACTLY! Dog's don't train themselves and people who sit around wondering why their dog isn't behaving sometimes need to look at what they are doing or not doing.

Some dogs are definitely easier than others to train, but if you don't have the time or money to take training classes or read a book maybe you just shouldn't have a dog.

Sorry, but buying a dog is just plain lame. I told my sister that and will tell anyone else who supports that "business" while plenty of great dogs and puppies("clean slate"?) are being put to death every day because someone decided to buy rather than adopt. If "papers" make you feel comfy, I guess there's not much else I can say to you without using a bunch of expletives.

I have three shelter dogs and all of them are cool. Some took more work than others. One of them was barking crazily at me when I approached her at the pound. Then when she got out and we brought her home she became the damn sweetest dog I've known and you could feel her gratitude from being saved. Most people passed her by.

None of my paperless mutts pee on my records and one of them enjoys American Nightmare.