Flaming Lips/Yoko Ono NO LONGER Available NOW!

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

surfing! i expect you of all people to tell me whats going on with my WB order amongst all this bullshit. tell me!

If it says it's processing, yer good.

I don't think the store on the Lips site has a quantity feature, so nothing will 'sell out' until it gets pulled down. I think they really underestimated how many of these they'd sell.

My last year as a Lips fan:

Half assed releases, over priced gimmicks, cancelled orders and yet I keep coming back. With the money I just got back I think Ill invest in a self flaggerator or something of the like, maybe pay a dude a fiver to kick me in the balls. I'm pretty sure the last year is a grand art experiment in pushing fans to see what they'll accept.

Half assed releases, over priced gimmicks, cancelled orders and yet I keep coming back. With the money I just got back I think Ill invest in a self flaggerator or something of the like, maybe pay a dude a fiver to kick me in the balls. I'm pretty sure the last year is a grand art experiment in pushing fans to see what they'll accept.

I agree the toys and skulls were overpriced but those aren't for everyone, you can still download the music if you want to hear it, ntm there should be a compilation album of all the gimmick eps this year.

Also, about the canceling, these yoko splits were ment to only be sold at the shows, what little leftovers they had were passed out to be sold online, so if you got your order canceled it's because inventory was already low to begin with. That's nobodies fault really.

I agree the toys and skulls were overpriced but those aren't for everyone, you can still download the music if you want to hear it, ntm there should be a compilation album of all the gimmick eps this year.

Also, about the canceling, these yoko splits were ment to only be sold at the shows, what little leftovers they had were passed out to be sold online, so if you got your order canceled it's because inventory was already low to begin with. That's nobodies fault really.

But in the age of the internet and VC, its everyones fault

I remember when i buy records and get excited because a store had them or maybe i would throw a money order in a envelope and 4 months later something would show up.

Like sean said, these were released for the show. Anything outside of that is generous

I'm laughing more than anything but if a record is up for sale its no longer for a show only. Finding a way to sell more isn't freaking generous, its practical. Their store is pretty bad so I'm not shocked it blew an inventory count. But in a year where a band I adore released a ton of new stuff yet a boxset of reissues is their best release, well that's a bad year in my book. Its also my opinion. And like I said, ill keep buying as long as they ship it.

The toy wasn't overpriced at all... $45 for over six hours of new music?

I try not to be too much of a Lips apologist, but I think that was one of the best releases they put out last year. Maybe it's because my name is in the six hour song.

That and 7 Skies H3 were my two favorite Lips things from last year. I really love those two really long songs.

i meant over priced in the sense that not all fans could afford it.

i agree the strobo trip was really cool, and i'd love to have one, but most of the stuff they released this year was way out of my price range.

i managed to get a hold of all 4 splits, but i didn't buy a single fetus, skull, or toy.

i am also really enjoying this new(er) psychedelic direction, and don't consider any of this new material to be "half assed".

finally these punk rockers are taking acid again.

edit:

surfing, did you get a 7 skies skull?

Ok, let me try a different tact as a fan.

A band I love spent tons of time in the studio this year. Released a ton of music. And made some of the physical copies prohibitive to their fans (be honest, when was the last time you said "I sure love that MP3 I bought" or said to a friend "I gotta show you this download")

I accept that some like the psychadelic direction - I apologize for such loaded terminology. I don't like it better than pretty much anything else they've done and I judge them against their own greatness.

Would you trade pretty much anything from this year and rate it above anything from the back catalogue? Maybe a song here or there. Some of it had moments but as a whole it's forgettable to me except for the hype and gimmicks.

So what kills me, really really kills me, is that a band I love spent a TON of time creating new music and what they released failed to come close to my expectations of them as one of the best bands of the past 20 years. So much of it just wasn't very good - B-Side filler at best on a great Flaming Lips release.

I think that sums up my year with the Flaming Lips a bit better. I appreciate the back and forth. I do think that this past run of releases will be a period long debated and will either be looked back upon as under-appreciated or down right awful - I don't see any middle ground.

Ok, let me try a different tact as a fan.

A band I love spent tons of time in the studio this year. Released a ton of music. And made some of the physical copies prohibitive to their fans (be honest, when was the last time you said "I sure love that MP3 I bought" or said to a friend "I gotta show you this download")

I accept that some like the psychadelic direction - I apologize for such loaded terminology. I don't like it better than pretty much anything else they've done and I judge them against their own greatness.

Would you trade pretty much anything from this year and rate it above anything from the back catalogue? Maybe a song here or there. Some of it had moments but as a whole it's forgettable to me except for the hype and gimmicks.

So what kills me, really really kills me, is that a band I love spent a TON of time creating new music and what they released failed to come close to my expectations of them as one of the best bands of the past 20 years. So much of it just wasn't very good - B-Side filler at best on a great Flaming Lips release.

I think that sums up my year with the Flaming Lips a bit better. I appreciate the back and forth. I do think that this past run of releases will be a period long debated and will either be looked back upon as under-appreciated or down right awful - I don't see any middle ground.

I've been thinking of this whole phase in two different ways. The first is that it's been the recording of their next album(s), and most of the songs that have been released as demos. Instead of making us wait a year or two to hear the new music, they're releasing it as they get done with it.

And the other is that it's a lot like the period that they had in between Clouds Taste Metallic and The Soft Bulletin... Zaireeka and the Boombox/Parking Lot Experiments. Just a period where they can do whatever the fuck they want and indulge before their next big album.

I think 7 Skies H3 really taught them how to write and record quickly. Some of the earliest releases really do sound like demos compared to the stuff on that track, the Yoko 12", and what I've heard from the collab album.

I can understand why a bunch of people have hated it, but it's been a lot of fun (and work) for me. It's awesome getting new music from your favorite band every month.

I'd rate the Strobo Trip and 7 Skies H3 up there with their best albums. I really do think those two are big achievements. It's a shame that they're just being brushed off as being 'gimmicks'.

Would you trade pretty much anything from this year and rate it above anything from the back catalogue?

no.

i still enjoy their older stuff more than 2011.

my three favorite albums are oh my gawd, clouds, and yoshimi.

but i've pretty much enjoyed everything they've done.

i might be one of those "shit don't stink" fans when it comes to lips, but i can see how a lot of it turns people off.

the thing that made me really enjoy the 2011 era is that i smoke pot at least 5 times a day and have for close to 10 years.

these 2011 releases have been a fantastic contribution to this habit.

Would you trade pretty much anything from this year and rate it above anything from the back catalogue?

the thing that made me really enjoy the 2011 era is that i smoke pot at least 5 times a day and have for close to 10 years.

Ha ha. Nice.

Pretty good thoughts though coming out about this run of releases now that my ranting has settled into more analysis.

If it says it's processing, yer good.

I don't think the store on the Lips site has a quantity feature, so nothing will 'sell out' until it gets pulled down. I think they really underestimated how many of these they'd sell.

my paypal account says payment has been completed so i guess I'm good. do they send shipping confirmation emails or should i just be expecting this any ol day?

no.

i still enjoy their older stuff more than 2011.

my three favorite albums are oh my gawd, clouds, and yoshimi.

but i've pretty much enjoyed everything they've done.

i might be one of those "shit don't stink" fans when it comes to lips, but i can see how a lot of it turns people off.

so no wonder you think some of this stuff is good