Problem playing 7 inches

Hey everybody,

So lately my turntable has been acting weird when I try to play some 7 inches (just happened with the Touche Amore s/t actually). I have a belt drive, fully automatic turntable with linear tracking and am trying to figure out why this might be happening. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Sounds like your servo-meter is off kilter and the secondary Johnson Rod could be slightly bent. What you want to do is tweak the repeater mechanism with a little sewing machine oil and then counter-rotate the auto-skip gear until it clicks in place with your idler wheel, which might need a fresh application of re-grip, but you won't know until you remove the C-Clamp and steady the inner platter with a bulls eye level.

You're welcome.

Sounds like your servo-meter is off kilter and the secondary Johnson Rod could be slightly bent. What you want to do is tweak the repeater mechanism with a little sewing machine oil and then counter-rotate the auto-skip gear until it clicks in place with your idler wheel, which might need a fresh application of re-grip, but you won't know until you remove the C-Clamp and steady the inner platter with a bulls eye level.

You're welcome.

^Laughed so hard at this. Wow sorry everyone I didn't even realize I didn't describe what is happening. Basically the needle will lift automatically before the record is actually over. Like a solid 5 or 10 seconds before. I have a Technics sl-j1.

You're welcome.

I believe you win the thread. +1

You're welcome.

I believe you win the thread. +1

Yay ... I never won a thread before! So was it your Johnson Rod?

Seriously though, I have about zero experience with linear trackers so any advice would be a shot in the dark. Whatever the problem is, something is triggering the auto-return mechanism early. Does it also happen with 12-inches?

If it were me, I'd go to the source and check the manual. Most of them have trouble-shooting sections and that might be able to give you some direction. You can download yours at Vinyl Engine. You just have to register for a free account first.

http://www.vinylengine.com/library/technics/sl-j1.shtml

The good news is that auto-return problems are pretty common and chances are there are other folks out there who have experienced similar issues. Just do some googlin' and I bet you'll find your answer.