SXSW 2012

Who's going and what bands are you looking forward to and what have you heard about happening?

So far this is what I'm looiling forward to:

Andrew WK (playing I get wet, all four days)

Chuck ragan

Hot water music

Comeback kid

FEAR

And I'm hoping there's another awesome fatwreck showcase this year!

Am I missing anything???

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone explain to me how SXSW works? Like, how much does it cost? Can I go to whichever date I want? Do I have to pay one price to see everyone or can I just go and see only the bands I want for their own price? Is it sold out, or will it? I want to go this year but I don't know how it works or anything.

Can someone explain to me how SXSW works? Like, how much does it cost? Can I go to whichever date I want? Do I have to pay one price to see everyone or can I just go and see only the bands I want for their own price? Is it sold out, or will it? I want to go this year but I don't know how it works or anything.

it's not like a traditional festival where it's a multi-stage festival. pretty much every venue in downtown austin is a part of it. generally, you can buy a day/week pass to get access to any show and come and go as you please. or you can just pay for shows individually. day shows are all free, and it seems like the shows at night are reasonably priced >$15 in my experience. so i've never bought a pass. i'll just check out what i want to during the day and pick one show each night. ends up being around $50 for 3 days of solid shows. i guess the pass would be cool if there were a ton of bands you wanted to see, but that's generally not the case for me. other people might give you different advice but that's what i've done the last 3 years.

dunno if I'm going or not

everybody should go out of their way to try to catch The Alabama Shakes, so you can be on board before they explode

I just dont get the hype of this band. Ive listened numerous times to the 4 song demo and it doesnt do anything for me. I even love all the bands that they sound like.

dunno if I'm going or not

everybody should go out of their way to try to catch The Alabama Shakes, so you can be on board before they explode

I just dont get the hype of this band. Ive listened numerous times to the 4 song demo and it doesnt do anything for me. I even love all the bands that they sound like.

demo's not that great.....live show is where it's at. I'm really hoping they're ATO debut is going to be closer to their live show

another local act for me that is worth noting is Lee Bains III & The Glory Fires...Lucero loves 'em, so should you. (Not positive is they're playing SXSW this year, I know they did last year)

so probably a "NO GO" this year birdwell? I always looked forward to hanging out with you during sxsw.

Yeah, I can't see myself being able to make it this year unfortunately...I look forward to hangin at SXSW as well man, but this past year has destroyed me. Right now I have like $28 to my name, and I'm having trouble getting enough hours at work to keep my head above water with this sound internship at night. I just can't see myself being able to get enough money in the bank for me to even afford the gas to get out there. I've got a tux rental to finish paying off, and have to be in Houston for a wedding in 2 weeks....I need to sell some shit I guess.

Oh well, everybody that can make it out there this year get extra blackout day drunk for me

Where did you hear there wasn't going to be one?

And AM! Is on several sites showing who is playing. But not the official sxsw site.

But it makes sense because the revival tour is starting 2 days after sxsw and chuck is doing an acoustic show and playing with hwm, so hopefully gabel will be doing an am show